Surefire L1 LumaMax

Ralph

Newly Enlightened
I''m looking for a new (LED) flashlight and came across the SF L1. I have a M2 but think it's a little expensive to buy a KL3 and don't use the original head. I also have a Inova X5T. Can you please help me with two issues.

From this forum, I understand that the green L1 is much brigher than the white L1. What color would you recommend for camping/hiking purposes?

What can I expect to get for runtime?

Can you say anything comparing the X5T to the L1, so I know what to expect (size, brightness etc).

Thanks very much!

Ralph

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a white L1. Trust me.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PS: I`ll post again later tonight, when I have more time. The white L1, I believe, would be perfect for your needs.

Ralph

Newly Enlightened
So you both don't like the L1? If I'd buy the L1 I'd have a SF ledlight and a M2 to use together. If I go for the KL3, I have to change the heads again and again.

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have neither but....sell the M2 and buy an A2? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I've gotta wonder what situations you need the brightness of a Luxeon over the brighness of 5 Leds (X5). Certainly not in the woods.

Mark

andybingley

Newly Enlightened
White L1. Trust me.

A lot of flashaholics enjoy reconfiguring existing Surefire lights. KL series heads, Turbo heads, Z series tail caps (L1 has 2 stage tail cap already) and different lumen lamps (L1 has 2 light levels built in). The L1 currently does not give many opportunities to reconfigure (Al are the different colour LED heads available yet?) but stands on it's own two feet as a very useable light.

I like my Inova X5 it's about the same size as my L1 but heavier takes one more CR123A and runs longer, but I like the regulation of my L1 better. From the start the X5 will get dimmer & dimmer untill I get fed up with it and replace the batteries (the light would keep going at this low level for a long time if I did not swap the batteries out), not the case with an L1 stage 2 (brighter than X5) illumination is rock steady till the battery will only power stage 1.

As for colour I have not experienced a green L1.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Don't get the L1 or the KL5 but wait, Trust Me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SteveD

Newly Enlightened
I like my recently received white L1, the low beam isn't much, barely enough to read a book by, but enough to read a map or the like for short periods. It should be perfect for rooting around in a tent in the middle of the night without jolting your tentmates out of sleep, which is one of the things I bought it for. I can't comment on runtime, as I'm still on the first battery.

On high beam, it is pretty nice. More than enough to read by, more than enough for close-in repair tasks with a nice flood (although I hear less of a flood than the KL1). I have an E2e but decided to get this instead of the KL1 because I don't want to be swapping/carrying spare heads, and worrying about lamps falling out, etc.

Other things I like: Even though the low-beam is about the same as my PT keychain light, it's in a bigger, easier to hold/find package. The knurling is very sharp and easy to hang onto. The clip is firm, and hangs onto things. There is a nice turn-down near the pushbutton for tying your own lanyard, or you can clip a split ring to the clip. The lens is pyrex glass, so it won't be too easily scratched. You can lock out just high beam, or both high and low for travel.

Things I don't like: The color of the beam is an unearthly violet/blueish white that I find distracting. On the edges of the beam are some yellowish tinges, that are also strange. None of this keeps the light from being useful - but I live in a house with white walls, so it's noticable to me ;-)

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, I've been to your shop, you must be taken seriously, when might I be able to utter those exciting words, "paypal sent", just kidding (kind of).

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
screw both of those, get the E1e + KL1. trust me.

Carpe Diem

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, Don...

How much money should I send...and to whom and where?

Does this post count as a pre-order?

Now really, Don...what is it that I`m now excitedly trying to order?

OK...OK...OK...

I really don`t need to know what I`m getting. Just let me know who I should send the payment to, and how much should I send.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
Don't get the L1 or KL3 and wait for the KL5 and get the A2 or ARC LSHP, trust me!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Oops,

I guess I was a bit obtuse. Let me help out here but a certain amount of trust is required. Sell the M2, buy an L1 white and wait.

And guys, *I* have nothing up my sleeve.........

- Don

Oh yeah, can someone help him on the X5T compared to the L1? From what I recall, the two are about the same length. X5T has 2 cells and the L1 has one. The L1 will have output both dimmer and brighter than the X5T.

Shark

Enlightened
Dont buy the KL3 or the L1 get a E2E and KL1 wait for the KL4 keep the M2 and get a ARC LSHP and a SF A2
Trust me

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I hope Ralph can do a better job of following this advice than I can.

Trying to follow all the different suggestions has completely lost me ...

...trust me.

Ralph

Newly Enlightened
You're not making it easier for me, trust me :)

Useful conclusion for now it that in fact I want a regulated LED light, with reasonable runtime (4 hours or so) that is just as bright or brighter than my X5T. That is the L1. I don't like swapping/carrying spare heads, so my M2 will stay unmodified.

I also like the two light ouput modes and the fact that it runs on 123's.

Have to decide yet if it's a usefull extra light, or something I won't be using at all (nice to have).

So I'm not going the KLx route. And from the positive feedback on on L1 I think it's a light to have.