Help me find a new EDC light

Lithium Juice

Newly Enlightened
Recommend a Flashlight Checklist:
(Don't worry about all the questions, just the ones you feel strongly about!)

Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?

I need help finding a new edc. All of my flashlights are several years old or to big to carry all the time. I will be using this light to work on cars, occasional night hiking, tracking animals, shooting, looking in dark corners, general prowling around, power outages, checking on chickens, and trying not to draw attention to myself (a bright light stands out like a sore thumb).

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head, but it certainly isn't limited to just those mentioned.

0) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?

__x__I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.
____I am in North America. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in South America. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Europe. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in the Middle East. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Africa. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Asia, Japan or Micronesia. More precisely I am in _______________.
____I am in Australia. More precisely I am in _______________.

1) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

____I only want to pay $1-10.
____I can spend $15-30.
__X__I could spend $40-60.
____I am willing to spend $80-$120.
____I have no limit!

2) Format:

__X__I want a flashlight.
____I want a headlamp.
____I want a lantern.
____I want a portable spotlight.

3) Length:

__X__I don't care.
____1-2 inches. (Keychain sized)
____2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)
____4-9 inches. (Holster carry)

4) Width:

__X__I don't care.
____I prefer a long narrow light.
____I prefer a short wide light.

5) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.

____I want common Alkaline batteries. (AA, AAA, C, D)
____I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)
____I want a rechargeable system. (an investment, but best for everyday use)

6) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

__X__I want to read a map, or find a light switch, in a dark room. (5-10 lumens)
____I want to walk around a generally paved area. (15-20 lumens)
__X__I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)
____I want to do Caving or Search & Rescue operations. (60+ lumens)
__X__I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

7) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an "X" on the line below.

Throw (distance)----------------------|--------X--------------Flood/close-up

8) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries.

____20 min. (I want the brightest light for brief periods)
__X__60-240 min. (1-2 hours)
____240-360 min. (4-6 hours)
____360+ min. (More than 6 hours)

9) Durability: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Not Important (A "night-stand" light.)
____Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood.)
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)
__X__Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

8) Switch Type:

__X__I don't care.
____I want a sliding switch. (Stays on until slid back.)
____I want a "clickie" switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)
____I want a momentary switch. (Only stays on while held down.)

9) Switch Location:

____I don't care.
____I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
__X__I want a push switch on the back end of the body.
____I want a rotating head switch.
____I want a rotating end-cap switch.
____I want a remote control.

10) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

____A simple on-off is fine for me.
__X__I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
__X__I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
____I want a strobe mode. (blinks to show location.)
____I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

11) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

__X__I don't care.
____I want a metal-bodied light.
____I want a plastic/composite light.

12) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

____Red (night vision preserving) filter
____Other filter colors (Amber, Green, Blue, _________)
__X__Waterproof – how deep: _1 meter +____________
____Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
____Polished silver or brightly colored finish (for easy locating)
__X__Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
____"Hybrid" light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
____Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
__X__Belt/Jacket clip
____Holster
__X__Wrist/Neck Lanyard
____Kobuton/self defense features
____Non-sparking Intrinsically Safe (IS) for use in explosive environments

I want this light to be as durable as I can afford. I have been looking very hard at the Nitecore EX10 GDP, but am a little worried about the durability (i.e., head falling off).

Are there any high CRI led flashlights that are not custom?
I really like the color rendition of incandescent flashlights for tracking, but need longer runtime.

I don't think there are any flashlights that meet all of these specs, so I understand I will have to compromise on some things.

Thanks in advance!

Though it hasn't come in the mail yet, the Lumapower Connexion 2 seems like it might fit your needs. Small. 1xAA. Powerful. Good runtime. Good company. Multiple modes.

ackbar

Enlightened
Check out the new nitecore EZAA 52USD and you may request it in 5B tint. No switch tho.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
batterytype i would like to know.

AA (easy to find and use)
cr123 (expensive &harder to find but more powerful than AAs)
more special batteries like rechargable li-ions?
18650 (size of 2*cr123s) -these need more knowledge and willingness to learn to use safely.

also the size is important:
which one you look for small (one cell, under 4") or medium size light (at or under the size of minimaglite 2AA)?

i guess small one if the nitecore ex10 is one you think. its a good choice.

d10 is the similarly working model that uses AAs.
but they both go about 70dollars new, as the clip is sold separately.
-i just ordered d10. uses AA and its a bit longer, shorter ones are getting too small for my hands.

it is supposed to be EDC so you will be carrying it with you in your pocket everyday (everywhere?) right?

i said in your pocket as you said you need the pocket clip. (the clip narrows the option list alot.. many good lights dont have one)

EZAA:twisty light (not rear clicky) and no pocket clip. and its only preorder now so no one knows about it much yet. i wouldnt suggest it.

Connexion1 and 2: has a clip, and is small with nice light modes and runtimes as far as i have read in rewiews (its one of those lights i think i will buy eventually)

fenix: if the pocket clip is not essential i would recommend their lineup. just choose the batterytype first. fenix has one of the best runtimes and regulations for steady light in the market.

about durability request: in my mind, your budget is too low to reasonably expect getting a light that has the maximum durability. atleast double it to get in to right ballpark for first viable options. with 40-80dollar range you should only expect slightly/very important quality.

many medium priced lights that are recommended and discussed here in cpf, like fenix mentioned above, do give great "bang for buck" ..in general terms i would say 60% of quality for 40% of the price. and to me thats bargain :)

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Companies that come to my mind are Fenix, Nitecore, Liteflux, Lumapower, iTP, Olight, and Surefire(a few).

Since the Fenix L2D-CE is on sale right now(8% off coupon is "CPF8"), it might be a really good place to start. One of the earlier LED lights with the Cree XR-E LED and still recommended 2 years after it first came out. It's compatible with 1 AA bodies (L1D, LD10, L1T V2.0) and 1 CR123 bodies (P2D, PD20) if you want more battery options or smalle size.

Check here if you have maglites.

:welcome:

Lithium Juice

Newly Enlightened
Liquidspaceman, I don't know much about LumaPower, I am under the (possibly false) impression that they are a lower mid-range flashlight company. I can't afford many lights, so when I do buy one, I want it to be as tough and well made as I can get.

Ackbar, I was looking at that one a lot yesterday, I really wish it came with a tail-switch and thicker walls.

NoSenCe, the battery I am most leaning towards is one CR123a cell. I didn't put it in the original post because I would definitely go with a AA light if it had a high CRI led, or was very durable. In regards to the length of the flashlight, definitely shorter than a mini-mag. I carry a SureFire G2 right now so anything that size or smaller is fine.

Gunner12, I don't really want the LiteFlux lights because of the delay in the switch. I would like a SureFire but I need a low mode and I can't afford the SF's that have them.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. Do you guys have any opinion on the EX10's toughness?

Danny

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Nitecore piston lights seem pretty well built. There are a few threads of problems, but it is still a new way of switching on the light. The Nitecore Extreme might interest you too. The clip doesn't seem to be that strong from what I read. It's also over your price range.

The EZAA I think uses a tougher kind of Al. Unless you forsee the light being crushed by heavy objects, it should be tough enough for normal use.

The Jetbeam lights might interest you too. They do seem out of your price range.

How much abuse will the light see?

The Fenix TK series of lights also come with a clip(I think) and all have 2 modes. The TK20 is 2 AA and has a neutral white emitter. It is longer then the G2 though. IMO anything G2 size or larger is too big for EDC.

PetaBread

Enlightened
To be honest, a Ra EDC Executive would be the perfect light for you, but

it's $99.

I also recommend the LiteFlux LF3XT, but it doesn't have a clip. It

comes with a lanyard though. The LF3XT is $59.

To me, these to would be the best choices based on the information you

gave us. Always do your research on a light before you buy it; the search

function on CPF can be man's best friend.

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the given requirements and budget $40 - $60:
Fenix L2D
Nitecore D10
Nitecore EX10
Liteflux LF3XT
Surefire 6P (no low low)
Surefire G2 (no low low)
Solarforce L2 R2 (multi-mode)
Solarforce L2M R2 (multi-mode)

Last edited:

BRO

Newly Enlightened
The LD10 is a very nice light. Comes with it's own holster; I've never tried to get a clip for it so I cannot address that area. Very bright high beem and the low is very nice; I use it the most. Very nice size for both pocket or holster and for walking around your house at night.

I am going to quit EDC'ing it because I bought a RA C/E and will be carrying that light instead. But I did not buy another light because of issue's with quality or reliability of the LD10.

The LD10 is a very nice light for the price and the usability aspects. Good luck.

Last edited:

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either a NovaTac EDC or Ra Clicky seems to be indicated by your diverse set of needs. You could probably also get away with a Nitecore.

What kind of shooting are you doing? Is this for self-defense, hunting, or what? If it's for hunting, instant access to high one-handed isn't so critical, but for self-defense, it's a must.

wadus

Newly Enlightened
To be honest, a Ra EDC Executive would be the perfect light for you, but it's $99.

My thoughts exactly, but I didn't want to say it because of the OP's price range. If he should decide to splurge a bit because this is, after all, a one time purchase... I don't think anyone here would disagree with this choice and talk him out of buying it. ;)

OP, I hope you find a good light and let us know what you decide to go with.

Lithium Juice

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I scratched the EX10 from my list. I was looking at the JetBeams, but all of the small ones have reverse clickies. I am now looking at the NEX or the Ra EDC Exec. The low on the Ra is lower, but the high on the NEX is higher. I am leaning towards the Ra light now.

I searched but can't seem to find the runtime on the lower settings for the Ra light. If anybody can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Between the RA light and the Nitecore EX, which has a wider beam angle?

Chrontius, usually I am just doing pest control. Occasionally I have come up against dogs which may be counted as self defense. I use an 870 for most of my shooting so a tail switch flashlight really won't be used in that department.

I can't make up my mind which I would rather have come on first, high or low.

I have seen you guys talk a lot of people up in their price range, but I figured that after reading here for three years (I had nothing to contribute, so I have just been learning) it wouldn't happen to me.:ohgeez:

Danny

wadus

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I scratched the EX10 from my list. I was looking at the JetBeams, but all of the small ones have reverse clickies. I am now looking at the NEX or the Ra EDC Exec. The low on the Ra is lower, but the high on the NEX is higher. I am leaning towards the Ra light now.

I searched but can't seem to find the runtime on the lower settings for the Ra light. If anybody can point me in the right direction, that would be great.

Between the RA light and the Nitecore EX, which has a wider beam angle?

Chrontius, usually I am just doing pest control. Occasionally I have come up against dogs which may be counted as self defense. I use an 870 for most of my shooting so a tail switch flashlight really won't be used in that department.

I can't make up my mind which I would rather have come on first, high or low.

I have seen you guys talk a lot of people up in their price range, but I figured that after reading here for three years (I had nothing to contribute, so I have just been learning) it wouldn't happen to me.:ohgeez:

Danny

I couldn't find any runtime tests on the lower settings either, especially the 0.3 lumen setting, but I assume it would be comparable to other 1*CR123 lights on that setting.

I do not own a NEX but I have heard great things about that light and you can't go wrong whichever light you choose. The Clicky Executive have a pretty wide beam angle compared to the other lights I own, including my NiteCore D10.

If you can't decide which setting you want to come on first, you could always program the Ra and try it out for a while, then change it if you wish. The default comes on at the 2nd lowest setting for the Executive, while the Tactical version comes on at high. Again, I can't comment on the NEX as I do not own one; so I'll let someone else chime in for that one.

Really, it's only a cheapish dinner-and-a-movie more than your price range listed. You won't even know the difference if you don't think about it! :poke: :laughing:

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go with the Ra Clicky EDC Executive, without a doubt the best light out there for the money. Bomb proof constuction, unbelievable runtimes, smooth wide beam, multi-levels of output, many different ways to set-up the interface, pocket clip, etc. I could go on and on about these lights, but I won't. There is plenty of info out there about them, so do a quick search and you won't be dissapointed.

I'm 100% positive that you will LOVE the Ra, they are amazing lights. There are many reasons why so many people on this forum have been reccomending them lately. It's such an amazing light, that I went out and bought two more after I received my first one!

Don't waste any more time, go order yourself up a Clicky pronto! :welcome:

loanshark

Enlightened
For my money, you can't go wrong with the D10. Buy it from 4sevens.com and you'll be satisfied, they guarantee it!

ClancyO

Newly Enlightened
The PD20 is at the top of your price range, and lacks a clip, but otherwise fulfills all your needs. And as a bonus, it's small enough that you'll never leave it because it's too big.

Latest posts