New here, need some input for first flashlight!

knivesandguns

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, I'm kinda well known on the knife and gun forums (same username for bladeforums, glocktalk, arfcom, etc.) BUT totally new to flashlights. :huh:

Soooo... let's get started.

What I want, in order of required-ness.
1. Pocketable--has to have a sturdy pocket clip (dunno if it should be bezel up or down though, I want to just be able to grab the flashlight quickly and turn it on. Hopefully it isn't too uncomfortable to carry in the pocket.

2. Click on and click off. I want to be able to leave the flashlight on and not have it in my hands.

3. White light, I don't really care how nice it is to have yellow/greenish lights. I know ignorance is bliss, but I want a blazing white color coming out of the bezel. Personal preference.

4. Warranty. I break stuff--I have horrible luck with the highest quality products from firearms to knives, I want to be able to send it back with minimum cost for repair/replacement. (or if I get a lemon out of the box)

5. Long runtime. I don't know how long is long enough, but I don't want to keep on having to replace batteries when I could get a light with a better runtime.

6. Strobe? (this is not really a requirement, would like to hear all of your inputs please, good or bad) :)

7. Bike mount capability (where to get mounts, and what are the best ones, don't want to break the bank either, just something that works.) Should I also use a diffuser if I'm on a bike so I have less throw and better flood?

List of lights I've looked at:
Surefire E2D led defender
Olight M20
Olight T20

I've looked at others--but those I've read reviews on CPF for, and sometimes I don't understand technical flashlight language, so please bear with my questions above.

Price limit: $125 That is a hard limit. Less would be great, but if I need to buy quality, I will.

Thank you so much guys!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Nitecore lights all come with or have a purchaseable clip. Some Jetbeam lights also have clips. The TK series Fenix lights also have a clip, but aren't that pocket friendly.

For pocket friendly, I think a think 2 CR123 light max. 1 AA or 1 CR123 would be better.

The Nitecore EX10 or D10 with pocket clip might interest you. So might the Liteflux LF2X, LF3 XT and LF5XT. The Fenix AAA lights also have a compatible clip.

What about twist on, twist off? The Liteflux LF2X has 2 modes, both programmable. Loosen a bit is one mode, loosen a bit more is the second mode.

Many of the lights have a low mode for longer runtime.

Use the search (both here and in general, as in google and the such) and you should be able to find reviews for the lights.

:welcome:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
window shop : dealextreme.com kaidomain.com and see whats there .

You might chose something like , a Solarforce L2 R2 5mode , and a charger , and a pair of 18650 Protected batteries .

Or a Ultrafire WF502B R2 5 Mode , or you might go for a P7 , or a MC-e .

Take some time to weigh your options ...

For $125 , you may want more than one flashlight .. and bear in mind , even expensive flashlights break down ... + If you lose a $100 flashlight , say compared to a $20 flashlight .

Mike.Austin

Newly Enlightened
The Nitecore lights all come with or have a purchaseable clip. Some Jetbeam lights also have clips. The TK series Fenix lights also have a clip, but aren't that pocket friendly.

For pocket friendly, I think a think 2 CR123 light max. 1 AA or 1 CR123 would be better.

The Nitecore EX10 or D10 with pocket clip might interest you. So might the Liteflux LF2X, LF3 XT and LF5XT. The Fenix AAA lights also have a compatible clip.

What about twist on, twist off? The Liteflux LF2X has 2 modes, both programmable. Loosen a bit is one mode, loosen a bit more is the second mode.

Many of the lights have a low mode for longer runtime.

Use the search (both here and in general, as in google and the such) and you should be able to find reviews for the lights.

:welcome:

Definitely +1 on the Nitecore for most of your needs...but the bike mount could be challenging...

knivesandguns

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll look at the suggested lights. I'll report back with a list of what I should get.

Thanks again!:thumbsup:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the Nitecore Extreme fits great in the pocket with plenty of power. If I was you though I would look at a Fenix P2 or P3D, the P2 is single cell CR123 therefore shorter but the 2 cell P3D has more lumens power and longer runtime. Both can pocket or belt carried with the included holster and both have Bike adapters available from Fenix. Good Luck.

http://www.lighthound.com/Fenix-Flashlight-Bike-Mount_p_323.html

callmaster

Enlightened
I'm sure you'll be well known soon enough here in the flashlight community as well.

If you haven't already heard of it, I'd suggest you take a look at the variety of lights from Ra Lights. Pretty good stuff.

Cept I don't know how you would mount one on a bike.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome! I also suggest the Ra Lights. Very well built,tough and programmable as well so you can tailor it to your liking. The pocket clips is not the most visually appealing. You can read through this thread to see the various opinions. It does come in black as seen here. I don't have a clip on mine but I have read that despite its looks it is very secure and was designed to be functional first. There are custom clips available as well. Overall it is a great light. Very funcional and durable. Henry, the designer and owner of Ra Lights, stands behind his products. Not sure if it is important but made in USA as well.