Problem with LD01 SS

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got an LD01 SS a few months back. It worked fine initially, but hasn't gotten any use in the past month. I tried to turn it on today, and nothing. It had a previously, partially-depleted Energizer L92 in it, that was now absolutely dead.

• I tried a fresh Duracell alkaline, and still nothing.
  • I tried a fresh L92, and still nothing.
  • I tried the LD01 SS head on a few older, Al L0D/E0/E1 bodies, and it worked fine on all of them.
  • I tried the LD01 SS body on the older L0D/E0/E1 heads, and it too worked fine on all of them.
  • I tried the SS head/body combo again, leaving it on for a longer period, and the head slowly started to head up. It was noticeably warm (though not hot) after about 15 seconds.
I guess something internally is shorting against the exterior of the head, so it's only an issue with the non-anodized body.

Wasn't this issue reported on a few L0 Ti's?

I'm glad I didn't have a 10440 in it. :eek:

Patriot

Flashaholic
I guess something internally is shorting against the exterior of the head, so it's only an issue with the non-anodized body.

Wasn't this issue reported on a few L0 Ti's?

I'm glad I didn't have a 10440 in it. :eek:

That was a really cool process of elimination gswitter. :cool: I agree with you because there's not really anything else it could be.

I remember the LO Ti's but I don't recall them having any issues offhand.

No kidding about the 10440! It would have been depleted to nothing. If you weren't aware of this and recharged it... high probability of :poof:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, there were a couple other steps I didn't list above.

• After the initial, fresh L92 test failed, I cleaned the conductive surfaces thoroughly. The threaded surfaces aren't supposed to be part of the circuit (but in this case, they are :sick:).
  • I was also a little curious, and I rigged up an Energizer L91 (AA size) with a pair of probe leads and tried powering up the head. That heated up quicker.
Now that I think about it, having an L92 in the LD01 SS was fortuitous. An alkaline could have been a mess, an Eneloop could have been toast, and who knows what the heat from a 10440 discharging would have done.

SwatDude

Newly Enlightened
I am having a problem with my LD01 SS too and this isn't the first Fenix light I have had issues with. When I turn the head to on, it doesn't stay on. Sometimes it almost goes into a slow strobe mode, flicking off and on. Is there something I need to be doing different with this light?

Then last night my truck broke down. I had been storing a TK10 in my glovebox for just this event but when I turned it on, the light had a rapid flicker to it. I un screwed and screwed the head on and off again a few times and it went away briefly but then came back. I read about cleaning the threads. Does this really help and what am I missing about the way the lights are built??

steel

Newly Enlightened
hi swatdude

not sure what is going on with your ld01 have you tried cleaning the contacts?

with the tk10 was it flickering when it was in high mode? if so its the low battery warning

hope this is some help

SwatDude

Newly Enlightened
hi swatdude

not sure what is going on with your ld01 have you tried cleaning the contacts?

with the tk10 was it flickering when it was in high mode? if so its the low battery warning

hope this is some help

I cleaned the threads and used alcohol with a Qtip on the contacts. It worked better, but would not cycle through the brightness modes. I stuck it outside for awhile to dry out and then it cycled through the modes, but still flicked on and off. Finally, I put some contact enhancer on the threads and this seemed to work for a while, but now several hours later, its like I can't twist it down hard enough to make it stay on. Oh, and I am running lithium batteries and I tried putting a new one in.

As far as the TK10, the batteries could be going because I have had that light stored in my truck for over a year, which I'm sure gets as hot as 150 degrees here in Phoenix.

I just turned my LD on and now it is flashing like a strobe but at no particular cadence. Weird.

steel

Newly Enlightened
hi swatdude

sounds like the ld01 needs to go back under warranty not sure there is much else you can try?

did the same thing when i got my tk10 thought it was faulty then realised it was a lower battery warning lol i should really start to read the manuals

Last edited:

Jedi Knife

Enlightened
Mine started giving me trouble too- turning off at random times, sometimes turning back on in next mode, sometimes not. I have found that when it turns off, I can tap it face first on the palm of my hand and it will turn back on, but later turn off again. I am convinced that something is loose in the circuitry, somewhere.
As an aside, the "clean the threads fix" is highly overrated. This has never fixed any problem I've ever had with any flashlight.