new PD30's beam normal?

techboy10

Newly Enlightened
I just got my PD30 and some batteries yesterday and the beam has a pretty noticeable dark cresent around the hotspot. I have a picture here and was wondering if this is something I should worry about and deal with (by sending it back to Fenix).

dsc04866i.jpg

Thanks everyone.

DaddyCool

Newly Enlightened
That is how it looks. Dont worry at all!

(Someone might say the LED ist not perfectly centered but i would consider this to be within acceptable measurement.)

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's absolutely normal. Cree emitters are efficient but also have crappy beams (for flashlights).

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea your good tech, lucky too.

The smooth ring on my PD30 is disfigured. At least yours is smooth :)

techboy10

Newly Enlightened
Ok, thanks everyone. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't get a bad LED.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, thanks everyone. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't get a bad LED.

It's beautiful :)

When I get home this morning tech, I'll post a picture of my PD30's beam.

The shadow is lop sides and distorted. It's no where near as smooth as yours.

Painful Chafe

Enlightened
The beam on my P3D is perfect. No rings, no artifacts, centered LED. Does the PD30 come with an OP or SM reflector?
Nevermind. I just looked it up. It has an OP. Wow, I've got a great looking beam on my PD3 Q5.

Last edited:

Dudeman

Newly Enlightened
I just got a new Q5 PD30, a new Q5 P3D, and a D10 R2. I have to agree that the P3D beam is fantastic....easily the smoothest and creamiest beam of all three lights. Ring-free and much whiter than the PD30, even though they are both Q5....dunno why. The D10 R2 would be next in terms of the wall shot beam quality, followed by the PD30 with massive ringage. It has less OP on the reflector, I guess for increased throw....but the rings are prominent, and the color is much yellower....not necessarily a bad thing. I'll probably keep it since I like the overall design much better (anti-roll, mild crenelation, better tail design). Anybody know how easily I could get into them and play with swapping out the reflectors and/or modules? Never done that before!