Light-Headed spells--Suggestions?

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I'm seeking advice here because: I know there are others on here who have/have had medical problems; there are some medical professionals and para-professionals; as well as some with uncommon sense :)
I also understand that seeking advice here is not a substitute for advice from a medical professional or someone who has played one on TV :)

Anyhow, lately I've had some "light-headed' spells, not vertigo, not dizzy just not right in the head. I haven't been able to track a causative factor, though maybe tiredness contributes. I went to my clinic, the doctor had my blood pressure taken sitting and standing, normal--about a 4-5 point drop standing. The Doctor feels it is my blood pressure drop of about 15 points (~150/75 to 135/65) over the last month due to Lisinopril(sp?), my body readjusting to a 'better' blood pressure. A note--I was on 10mg for a month w/ little effect, went to 20mg about 4 weeks ago. So I do like my blood pressure being down but these "spells" really mess up my day. Any suggestions?

I did deal, for the first and only(?) time with BPV (Benign Positional Vertigo) about 2 months ago. Doesn't feel at all like that.
So I don't think it is an inner ear thing. My guess is it is BP related but what to do?
Please feel free to ask questions or make any comments, I don't mind :)

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Any chance you had a recent bout of illness? In late November my mom caught the flu. A week or so later I caught it from her. It was the sickest I remember being in my life. I was totally bedridden for over a week, fainted twice, had all the usual symptoms of being ill (congestion, sore throat, fever as high as 103.5°, dizzyness when standing, nausea, muscular weakness). I haven't recovered totally since. I still have muscular weakness and lack of energy, plus occasional light-headedness similar to what you described. Usually when it happens I'll just need to lie down for a while. My BP however is just fine (about 90/60 when resting to perhaps 110/70 when active, resting pulse in the high 40s). And for what it's worth my mom hasn't been 100% either since she got sick. Very strong flu bug this year. Oh, and for more good news I caught what feels like strepped throat yesterday. I'll probably need to lie down again after typing this post.

Anyway, I may be grasping at straws but a prior somewhat serious illness can cause you to not feel like yourself for a really long time. Back in the summer of 2006 I was also seriously ill (I think it was West Nile from a mosquito bite). Fever going to 106 and the usual other symptoms. But it passed much quicker than my recent bout of flu. However, it took until fall before I felt like myself again. I also remember similar light-headedness for a while.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any chance you had a recent bout of illness?...........
Yes :ohgeez:I was going to mention that. I had a flu, as well as the rest of the 14 of us, all with varying degrees of intensity. I'm the only one with any symptoms left, assuming they are symptoms :). However I'm the only male, 48 year old, hypertensive, overweight one in the lot :p
So I'm not worried...much. In a month, either I plan on being over lingering flu, or adjusted to my new blood pressure. Or going to a Doctor in Duluth :popcorn:

Rick-- I'm sure the packing material I requested will ease, or lighten my last years/moments on this earth :nana::tired: better hurry with it though. cough, cough ..wheeze
And as always prayers appreciated and ongoing, outgoing :)

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
First thought is that we are not doctors. Go to the doctor and get the symptoms checked out if this is recurring. If they brush it off, get a new doctor or at the very least a second opinion. Don't accept a "don't worry about it" response from your doctor. It could be nothing but it would be good to know what this is. Again, this is not the place to look for medical help or opinions.

Did your doctor ask or mention any of the following:

Is the light headed sensation accompanied by any or all of the following: change in vision, numbness on one or both sides, problems speaking or understanding what others say, memory loss or confusion to any degree, or a loss of balance? Do you black out? "Gray out," see "stars," spots, or flashes of light or color?

How often are these "spells" and what are you doing when they occur?

Has anyone looked at your pupils to see if they are the same size or that both of them react to changes in light, and that both react exactly the same when this happens or shortly after?

Are you running a temp? Check regularly (a few times a day) and keep notes (temp, date, and time).

Any arm, chest, leg, head, neck, or jaw pain, numbness, or stiffness?

Have you been keeping up on drinking water? Not coffee, not tea, not soft drinks -- water. How much each day? Only one of many possible causes but dehydration might give you those symptoms.

Any difficulty breathing or swallowing?

Any changes in urination or bowel habits?

Did the doctor take blood and urine samples?

Are you taking your meds consistently? Not missing a dose and at roughly the same time every day? Has someone thoroughly checked to see that all of your medications (including multivitamins, supplements, over the counter medications, etc.) are compatible? Have you started taking anything new (prescription or not)?

Are you eating well and according to your MD's instructions? Any changes in food?

Any changes in activity? Any change in the way you sleep, or the time you go to bed and get up? Are you finding yourself more tired? Less?

Any changes in environment? Anything new or different in the home (paint, new pet, etc.)? Any changes in the weather? Any recent construction jobs in the area (water line, sewer, etc. included)?

I ask you, is there any wonder why MD's go to school and train for so long?

All I can add is to keep a journal or a diary describing everything (I know, it's boring but do it) and include what you do and the time you do it.

As you may have guessed, I'd take this more seriously until I found a cause for it that made sense and a treatment that worked or at least helped. And I know nothing of medicine and am only guessing it really is probably something simple.

Again, we're not the people you want helping you with this. The most medical training some of us have had is watching episodes of "House" (or "Marcus Welby, MD" or even "Ben Casey" and "Dr. Kildare" if we're a wee bit older ;) ).

Good luck, get some better help than you can here, and get well.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
First thought is that we are not doctors. Go to the doctor and get the symptoms checked out if this is recurring. If they brush it off, get a new doctor or at the very least a second opinion. Don't accept a "don't worry about it" response from your doctor. It could be nothing but it would be good to know what this is. Again, this is not the place to look for medical help or opinions. ......

Again, we're not the people you want helping you with this. The most medical training some of us have had is watching episodes of "House" (or "Marcus Welby, MD" or even "Ben Casey" and "Dr. Kildare" if we're a wee bit older ;) ).

Good luck, get some better help than you can here, and get well.

How about Emergency? Give me Ringer's Lactate :) STAT

I agree that the medical training of most here isn't what I want to rely on, however, when I'm not satisfied w/ the answers I get from the Medical professional(s) I have available to me locally, getting a feel for whether my concerns are realistic or just silly:tinfoil:, this is a good start. My son, now 25, was/has been in and out of the hospital multiple times. My wife and I have given others advice based on our experience(s). Hydrocephalus and a ventricular-peritoneal shunt are not something that most people have to deal with, however lots of parents deal with hospitals and Doctors :( . A shoulder to lean on and experiences, shared or new, can help in dealing with any of life's questions, medical or otherwise.

Did your doctor ask or mention any of the following:

Is the light headed sensation accompanied by any or all of the following: change in vision, numbness on one or both sides, problems speaking or understanding what others say, memory loss or confusion to any degree, or a loss of balance? Do you black out? "Gray out," see "stars," spots, or flashes of light or color?

How often are these "spells" and what are you doing when they occur?

Has anyone looked at your pupils to see if they are the same size or that both of them react to changes in light, and that both react exactly the same when this happens or shortly after?

Are you running a temp? Check regularly (a few times a day) and keep notes (temp, date, and time).

Any arm, chest, leg, head, neck, or jaw pain, numbness, or stiffness?

Have you been keeping up on drinking water? Not coffee, not tea, not soft drinks -- water. How much each day? Only one of many possible causes but dehydration might give you those symptoms.

Any difficulty breathing or swallowing?

Any changes in urination or bowel habits?

Did the doctor take blood and urine samples?

Are you taking your meds consistently? Not missing a dose and at roughly the same time every day? Has someone thoroughly checked to see that all of your medications (including multivitamins, supplements, over the counter medications, etc.) are compatible? Have you started taking anything new (prescription or not)?

Are you eating well and according to your MD's instructions? Any changes in food?

Any changes in activity? Any change in the way you sleep, or the time you go to bed and get up? Are you finding yourself more tired? Less?

Any changes in environment? Anything new or different in the home (paint, new pet, etc.)? Any changes in the weather? Any recent construction jobs in the area (water line, sewer, etc. included)?

I ask you, is there any wonder why MD's go to school and train for so long?

All I can add is to keep a journal or a diary describing everything (I know, it's boring but do it) and include what you do and the time you do it.

As you may have guessed, I'd take this more seriously until I found a cause for it that made sense and a treatment that worked or at least helped. And I know nothing of medicine and am only guessing it really is probably something simple....
The problem I've seen with medical professionals is they come up with their answer and if it is let stand they are satisfied. The way you "challenge" them will sometimes make a difference in how your case is handled. You brought up several questions that, if I was asked might have changed his diagnosis. So I will go back to the locals and see what happens.
Thanks, for your advice, sincerely.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the medication. I take the same med (smaller dosage) and I had the exact same reaction when I started it. IIRC it lasted about 2-3 months.

Overweight and high blood pressure can be indicators. My blood pressure ran borderline high for several years w/o a weight problem. I ignored it - I thought I was healthy as a horse. As I added some pounds, it didn't help, but my change in eating habits from healthy to unhealthy (also the cause of the weight gain) started clogging the arteries.

I had an 80% and a 99% blockage. My advice is to take what's going on seriously.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might be the medications. Bad mojo to diagnose unless you are a doctor and are with the patient, especially based only on your symptoms. That's another reason why medical care via a flashlight forum is bad medicine.

As for being your own medical advocate, it is not only a good idea, it is absolutely necessary. I don't care about bedside manners, but a doctor who has been trained in HMO, patient care measured by the minute sucks. That aside, people make mistakes. I've caught one doctor in two recently -- nothing major but it just proves the point.

And once again, I know very little about medicine except to pay attention to my own health care and what is going on.

As for "Emergency," I am way too young to remember Roy DeSoto and Johnny Ga.. D'oh! :ohgeez:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC lightheadedness is a side effect of this ACE inhibitor. If you are overweight and have blood pressure problems I suggest you look into your blood sugar as well.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on tv/internet, and others seem to have covered this way better than I could, so I'll just share my one little bit of experience.

I'll get light headed if my blood sugar is off. I have blood sugar problems so I keep a tester handy. My low-blood-sugar symptoms aren't always the same.......sometimes I get some symptoms but not others and they're not always a linear progression. If I'm feeling off then testing my blood sugar lets me rule out that particular problem. Sometimes being tired really means I am just tired............the blood sugar test is objective information.

Blood sugar testers don't require a prescription and cost less than $20. The test strips are around $85/100 strips.

Your doctor might give you a test but a one time snapshot taken when you're feeling fine isn't good enough to rule out problems.

:buddies:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Testing blood glucose levels daily or more than once a day is one thing but there is another test that measures over the span of a few months. I for one didn't mention blood glucose levels for the same reason I didn't mention a lot of other things -- there isn't enough room and playing a guessing game here on CPF is a bad medical practice. Threads like this scare me because someone sooner or later is going to be looking at a thread like this as their only source of medical advice. As weird as that sounds, it will happen.

Better to get a diagnosis sooner rather than later. Medical coverage and disability payments if needed can be limited. Earlier diagnosis means earlier treatment and being back to good health sooner. That saves lives and money, too. Not to mention it's less of a PITA.

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
Go to a Cardiologist and tell him/her exactly what's going on. They'll want to do some tests. Take them. I can not take meds like Lisinopril, Adverse reaction. Generic Norvasc (Amlodipine) works for me, but also with side effects. ALL meds have side effects. You have to take the time, and have a physician that will take the time, to balance good and bad. And it can take time. It took me a couple of years. It's worth it now.

JMNSHO &, of course, YMMV

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, to reassure those here. I do plan on seeing my Dr. again, and do advise the same to those who are reading this in the future.
I am a soon to be diabetic unless the diet changes I'm doing make the difference. So blood sugar is a possibility. I will have another 3 month test of that factor that acts like a long term sugar level indicator. [I can't remember the name either :)]
My posting here was more to find out if Lisinopril, in anybody else's experience could cause the lightheadedness. It is a side effect listed. However the Dr I saw said, the 20mg dose I'm on wouldn't be causing it. It is my 15 point rapid drop in BP. I'm thinking of pushing for a different drug.
Thanks to all!

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised that your Dr said that. Your drop in BP is b/c of the drug (that's a good thing). I only take 5mg and it affected me until I adjusted to it.

It would exacerbate when I would squat down and then get up quickly, but it would do it other times, too. I also take a beta-blocker - you may want to ask your Dr about one of those too.

I also was hypoglycemic (pre-diabetic) a few years back and did the 5-6 meals a day thing for a year or two. Didn't do another fast, but the results of several blood tests about a year ago indicated that it was no longer a problem for me.

I can't encourage exercise enough. It will single handedly positively affect everything that you are experiencing and will lead to weight loss which will further benefit you in all these areas.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Threads like this scare me because someone sooner or later is going to be looking at a thread like this as their only source of medical advice. As weird as that sounds, it will happen.
Generally threads like this start for a few reasons:

1) You're under the care of a doctor, the treatment isn't working/is causing side effects, and you want to see if others had similar problems.

2) You're seeking alternative treatments your doctor is either unaware of, or reluctant to mention. For example, the unfortunate trend these days seems to be to give drugs as a first resort rather than a last resort only after lifestyle changes have failed. Why this is I don't know. Maybe doctors would rather avoid confrontation with their patients by suggesting an easier course (take a pill) than something like losing weight, altering diet, etc.

3) You have symptoms for which your doctor thus far hasn't been able to find any cause or treatment. This isn't a knock on doctors. Some problems can have so many potential causes that it's difficult to find one. Others may just be psychosomatic and have no medical cause.

4) You are seeking an answer to a minor problem for which it usually doesn't make sense to see a doctor. Perhaps you have something like an ingrown toenail or maybe you just want to see if certain foods have had certain effects on others.

5) You have non-life threatening problems for which many (most?) might see a doctor but lack insurance, don't qualify for programs like Medicaid, and can't afford to pay for a doctor out of pocket. Sadly, myself and quite a few other Americans fall into this category. While treatment via a flashlight forum of course isn't the best option, it might be beneficial if others can suggest lifestyle changes which worked for them for a similar problem. And if others have had similar symptoms and they turned out to be something serious, then it might serve as a warning to somehow see a real doctor, even if the only viable way for you is via the emergency room.

In the end you're your own best medical advocate. Most doctors will take the cookie cutter approach with problems unless you research other options and mention them. And the old adage that prevention is the best cure is still true. If certain foods disagree with you don't eat them anyway and then have the heartburn medication ready. Your body is telling you those foods are bad for you even if they may not be for others. Avoid them. Exercise as much as possible. This one simple thing cures a host of health problems. It can even compensate to some extent for a less than ideal diet. Moreover, know your body. If you have a lump that hasn't healed in six weeks, and similar lumps have went way in the past in a few days, it might be a sign of something more than a bruise or an ingrown hair. If your bathroom habits change significantly for no apparent reason, again it might be a sign a something more. If it's normal for you to feel light-headed after an illness but it doesn't go away after a few weeks or months as it did in the past, maybe it's something else. In short, don't ignore anything highly unusual for your body. If on the other hand you're taking good care of your body, best not to be a hypochondriac trying to find things wrong. Just enjoy your good health while remaining vigilent for anything unusual. I'll even go on a limb and say that it's best to avoid doctors and hospitals and medications as much as possible. There really is no incentive for them to cure or prevent, as opposed to simply control, ailments. As such, they don't always have your best interest at heart. Their may be lots of caring doctors, but the health care system itself is highly dysfunctional. I know. It helped kill one parent, and it has failed to provide much help for the other.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
No disagreement here, and I had already said as much. However, I merely suggest that if someone doesn't get a reasonable answer or has another problem with their doctor, it is much better to get a second opinion or another doctor than to start asking any non medical community forum for medical advice. Once in a while (rarely, thank goodness) I could imagine someone then relying more or less solely on that. Another and admittedly gross example of "I saw it on the 'net so it must be true." I am not saying that this is the case in this instance, but it happens for a variety of reasons, all of them not good.

Latest posts