NEED New Light!!!!!

BlindedByNoLight

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I need a new light, about the size of a Maglight Solitaire, that I can hang on my keychain. Something pretty dang bright in the price range of $50 or so with at least 30 lumens would be great. I'm lost in the realm of manufacturers out there. What are your suggestions on lights, and reputable places to purchase them?

DM51

Flashaholic
Something as small as a Solitaire, producing 30 lumens?? You're asking a lot, aren't you?

LOL - just joking! You are in for a pleasant surprise - the choice is large, and 30 lm is considered a "low" setting.

I'll move your thread into the LED Flashlight section, where you should receive quite a few replies. Welcome to CPF!

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix LD01. Thread closed :p

Nah, there's also the liteflux lf2x if you don't mind some programming the light, which allows you to have the exact brightness you want. It can also be used as a single mode light, unlike the fenix, by programming both levels to be the same.

:welcome:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
There are quite a few lights that might work.

Look at the Fenix LD01, L0D-CE Q4, Nitecore EZAA (I'd wait a bit for the reviews first), Liteflux LF2, LF2X. There are also a few budget lights that might work.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix LD01. Thread closed :p

Nah, there's also the liteflux lf2x if you don't mind some programming the light, which allows you to have the exact brightness you want. It can also be used as a single mode light, unlike the fenix, by programming both levels to be the same.

That is what I ordered just last night, the Fenix LD01. Liteflux was a little longer and heavier and why I chose the Fenix.

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
If you want a clicky tailcap and smooth beam and just high and low at the press of button, without a bunch of other stuff you don't need, check out the Leatherman Serac S2. I have one and have the LD01 and the UI and beam are both better on the S2. The LD01 is slightly brighter, but not by much, and the spill is brighter on the S2 with its textured reflector, with the LD01 having a brighter hotspot, but dimmer spill. I like both of them, but if I could only have one, it would be the S2 for sure. Also, the stainless head of the S2 is more durable, that's where most people ding their lights, so its a great place to have stainless steel instead of aluminum. I think you can search around and find the S2 for about $35 or so.

HKJ

Flashaholic
You can see some AAA lights in this picture, all of them can match the Solitaire.

DSC_3226.jpg

E01: Light is a bit purple and only a little more than the mag, but you get 10 hours with constant output.
ARC: Gives a bit more light than E01 and has a shorter run time.
S1: Same as E01, but with a button instead of a twist to turn on/off
S2: White light and lots of it, the light has two settings (low/high), the low setting about the same as E01, the high setting much higher.
LF2X: A very advanced light, everything can be programmed, from a low below any of the other light to a high above any of the other lights. Only problem is to do the programming, if you think a VCR is complicated, stay away from this light.
LD01/L0D: 3 level lights, low is about the same as E01, high is about the same as S2 on high.
Solitaire: No comments needed.

BlindedByNoLight

Newly Enlightened
Wow guys, the responses are fantastic. Thanks for all of the good suggestions, I'm off to do some googling. The Leatherman looks like a good choice for the money and WOW 130 lumens for the Nitcore!

BlindedByNoLight

Newly Enlightened
Alright guys I ordered the Nitcore EZ AA. With the advertised 130 lumens it ought to be a beast if it even comes close to that. And at only around $15 more than the Leatherman I figured what the heck.

When it comes in (who knows when that will be) I'll report back and give you guys an update and a review. Thanks again!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
HKJ, that was a very nice comparison of features between many of the currently available AAA lights, obviously from some one who actually has them. Also an excellent photo to show scale. Thanks!

By the way, I'd be very interested to hear which of those beauties makes it onto your keychain or into your pocket....... or do you rotate?

BlindedByNoLight, welcome to CPF. I'll look forward to hearing how you like your new light.

HKJ

Flashaholic
HKJ, that was a very nice comparison of features between many of the currently available AAA lights, obviously from some one who actually has them. Also an excellent photo to show scale. Thanks!

Thank you for the nice words.:eek:

By the way, I'd be very interested to hear which of those beauties makes it onto your keychain or into your pocket....... or do you rotate?

The picture contains one cheat, my ARC is an UV version, not the white (or purple) light version.

With the rest, my favorite EDC are LF2X and Fenix LD01, before them it was L0D. I do not carry them in my keychain, but either in my bag or in a pocket. The problem with a pocket, is that they sometimes get into the washing machine.
DSC_3527.jpg

Due to the noise, I found the red one in the washing machine when it started spinning, after the washing. The black one got a full turn, including the heat dryer and it had unscrewed when I found it. They are still both working.

BlindedByNoLight

Newly Enlightened
Well guys to my delight the Nitcore EZ AA arrived yesterday
dancingparty.gif
!
The size of the light is not much different from the Solitaire. It's about 1/8'' longer and slightly bigger around, it's extremely close in size to the Leatherman S2.

It is a lightweight light, to achieve a lot of that they went with a thin case, but it looks well made and it being round in shape it still looks like it will hold up to some abuse. I'm not nor have ever been a fan of any kind of gold trim, but it looks ok and I knew it before I bought it. I wanted a bright light so what the heck. The machining and knurling looks good.

The low setting is a good output for low. The high is a GREAT output for a high. This little light is bright. I have no doubt it puts out 130 lumens, this SOB will blind you. For how long I don't know but so far I'm very pleased. For such a small light and being pushed by a single AA battery it is impressive.

Thanks for the recommendations, you did well
berlusca.gif
!

Tempsho

Newly Enlightened
What kind of batteries are you running in it and where did you order it from?

Last edited: