Will G2 convert to a 6p

realitycheck

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys I have a Surefire G2 with a Malkoff M60 and a surefire z59 tailcap.
First question, If I buy a 6p body will the head, M60, and z59 attach to the 6p body and work with no problems???
Second can you fit 18650 batteries in the 6p body?
Thanks

dougie

Enlightened
In essence it 'should' work without too many problems. However if you are proposing to use a Nitrolon G2 bezel on an alloy body with a Malkoff M60 then you are going to damage the LED quite quickly by overheating it.

The Malkoff M60 was designed by Gene to be used in an all alloy light such as the 6P. However it can be used in a Nitrolon bezel and body for for very short runs of a few minutes only. As 6p's are easy to come by at low cost then I am surprised why you don't simply bite the bullet and buy a second hand one:thinking:. Nitrolon has many admirable properties but qood thermal dynamics isn't one of them.

realitycheck

Newly Enlightened
Dougie sorry i didnt specify. I actually have the LED G2 so it came with the metal head.

Superdave thanks for the heads up on the battery tube. I didnt know anything about fivemega making those. So I'll definately check those out.

One more question for you guys. What is the difference in runtime between 17670 and 18650 batteries with M60?
thanks for the help.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
In essence it 'should' work without too many problems. However if you are proposing to use a Nitrolon G2 bezel on an alloy body with a Malkoff M60 then you are going to damage the LED quite quickly by overheating it.

The Malkoff M60 was designed by Gene to be used in an all alloy light such as the 6P. However it can be used in a Nitrolon bezel and body for for very short runs of a few minutes only. As 6p's are easy to come by at low cost then I am surprised why you don't simply bite the bullet and buy a second hand one:thinking:. Nitrolon has many admirable properties but qood thermal dynamics isn't one of them.

I doubt that the lack of a metal bezel is going to be a serious problem in terms of heat sinking. The entire substitute 6P metal body, not the bezel, should be the direct thermal path and would be available as a heat sink. See this post, for example.

Of course, with a metal bezel, so much the better.

Last edited:

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could leave the Led G2 as is and get one of these for $25 for your Malkoff:http://www.solarforcestore.com/servlet/the-1032/18650-FLASHLIGHT/Detail
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Solarforce L2GF-R2M-18650[/FONT]

It takes a 18650 or 2x CR123 (in fact the price includes a 18650 battery) and you can move its module to the G2 to get a multi-mode G2 (and higher output too).

Last edited:

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt that the lack of a metal bezel is going to be a serious problem in terms of heat sinking. The entire substitute 6P metal body, not the bezel, should be the direct thermal path and would be available as a heat sink.
And for the most part, the bezel's only opportunity to dissipate heat is to the air. The body has more surface area (for metal-to-air dissipation) and is usually in contact with the users hand, which will absorb heat much easier than the air.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Superdave thanks for the heads up on the battery tube. I didnt know anything about fivemega making those. So I'll definately check those out.

One more question for you guys. What is the difference in runtime between 17670 and 18650 batteries with M60?
thanks for the help.
Leef also makes 18650 battery tubes for the C size Surefires.

As for 17670 vs 18650, compare the mAh rating and that should be the difference in runtime.