**I don't care for the extra features of the LS 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonbox

Banned
**I don\'t care for the extra features of the LS 4

Each new LS upgrade get better and better but I don't care for the extra features of the LS 4.

Do you guys/gals prefer the different modes? I prefer a simple flashlight with a bright beam of light, no in between lower levels of light. I can't wait to see the shorter LS 4 & LS 5 clickie switch.

I'm holding out for the LS 5 because I want the brightness. I'll buy two LS 5 when they come out next year.

paulr

Flashaholic
Re: **I don\'t care for the extra features of the L

I do like the idea of a dimmable light. Other stuff like flashing modes, I can do without. I'm waiting to see whether all those features can be done non-confusingly with just one pushbutton, but I guess the PALight manages something similar.

jtice

Flashaholic

I like the ability to have at least 2 brightness settings. For the most part, I want to be able to melt the paint off the walls with brightness, but for small quick jobs, like reading a map in the car, I like the option of a dim setting.

I want a Arc LSH bad,,, but I might wait for the LS4 or 5. I heard they will be around $150, is that correct?

--- I might have to buy me a Arc LS "second" to hold me over though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic

Color Kinetics does amazing things with 1 button (Light Wand, Mini Light Wand, Light Saucer...)

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

that is the beauty of the ls4...you don't need to use the extra features! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

sorry, but with everyone complaining about the "extra" features being "hard" to use, i like to point out that it is can still act as a regular flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i'll bet you use the dimming features at least once in it's life though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic

Well, I can buy a 100-bladed Swiss army knife and not use the extra features, but if I just want to cut stuff, I'm better off with a one-function fixed blade /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I have both hopes and reservations about the LS4. Like some others here, I'm reserving judgement til it's actually out. I'm actually more interested in the LS5 than the LS4 for now.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's what is great about it. If you don't want the LS4 features you can buy what's available now. But I can't wait for a dimmable LS4 or LS5. It's what makes the A2 so great. Multiple uses from one light, that will save a lot of battery life (to be burned up in boost mode!) and it isn't even getting bigger!

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

like i've said elsewhere...i find the dimmers and blinkers to be bonuses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

what i'm really looking forward to is a better tailswitch, and a custom reflector /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
i'm hoping peter is willing to sell reflectors by themselves for us modders too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Rothrandir said:
like i've said elsewhere...i find the dimmers and blinkers to be bonuses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

what i'm really looking forward to is a better tailswitch, and a custom reflector /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
i'm hoping peter is willing to sell reflectors by themselves for us modders too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am not sure about the LS4 either. I guess we will see when it gets here.

Tomas

Banned

If the cost of the extra features doesn't push the price of the LS4 higher than a "simple" Arc LS then they are just bonus features.

If the price is higher, however, one must view the features differently and decide if they add value for one's personal use.

I cannot imagine the LS4 costing less than, or even the same as, current Arc LS's.

Therefore, one must decide if the extra features are of enough value to personally justify the increased price.

I don't know yet.

tomsig03.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here are some features in the LS4 I would consider to be not "extra" features.

- Higher conversion efficiency makes the light brighter and longer burning on the same battery
- Shorter housing makes the light easier to carry and weigh less
- New switch is more reliable and lower profile
- Reflector produces a smoother beam with no farkle
- Replaceable lens can be field serviced
- More waterproof

Keep in mind, I am currently planning on charging only $20 extra for these features.

Peter

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast

hmmmm, is there the possibility of the unit being slimmer???
I think slimmer is better than shorter

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

I agree, but the limitation is the optics. The more narrow you make the reflector, the less efficient it becomes.

Also, the 1 inch bezel fits many after-market accessories.

Peter

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

peter...that is great! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

that warrents an additional $20 in my book anyday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
Here are some features in the LS4 I would consider to be not "extra" features.

- Higher conversion efficiency makes the light brighter and longer burning on the same battery
- Shorter housing makes the light easier to carry and weigh less
- New switch is more reliable and lower profile
- Reflector produces a smoother beam with no farkle
- Replaceable lens can be field serviced
- More waterproof

Keep in mind, I am currently planning on charging only $20 extra for these features.

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

Meaning we can swap the optics out to NX01, NX05, etc on our own?

nonbox

Banned

I don't need the lower brightness levels of the LS 4 because if I wanted a lower brightness level I will use my Arc AAA or photon.

Will the LS 4 be brighter than the current LS?

I suspect that the LS 5 will be very bright and this is the reason why I'm holding out for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.