Upgrading Surefire L2

sixtop

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, my apologies if I missed an intro thread, please direct me if needed.

I've got a Surefire L2 that I'd like to upgrade. Are there drop in replacement/upgrade parts? I've seen a few mods, but nothing like the extras that are out there for the P60. I don't know jack about soldering or circuitry so I can't do any of the in depth mods.

I've looked around the net and no luck. CPF kept popping up so I joined and did a search here as well. I didn't see what I was looking for so I figured I'd start a thread.

Just wondering what is out there that I couldn't find.

Thanks!

Vic

Spence

Enlightened
I've never read where anyone modded the SF L2, however, it's a different story with the super popular L1 that gets alot of different mods. I have an L2 and will be watching with curiosity to see what replies come forth for that question. The L2 is sort of an odd duck, seems it's long enough to be a three CR123 cell light and could be a hell of alot brighter with a different emitter.:duh2::confused::shrug:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
There's no reason you can't go for a 'Milky' Room Sweeper build on this L2, that's what I would do.:devil:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/209239

It would start off at ~700-800 lumens, a P7 running direct drive from 1x17670.
You also get the wonderful low level from the L2 tailcap (I've had Milky to a similar low level tailcap mod to my E1 RS, but it wasn't a cheap option - you already have the low level in the tailcap, so it would be a perfect RS host)

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
WHOA... the L2 has a low mode tailcap!!! Didn't know that, I always thought it was a single mode rev-clicky.
An identical tailcap to the SF L1. And I think that explains the various low levels of these SF's:

L1 (Luxeon): 2 lumens (too low??)
L1 (Cree): 10 lumens (too high?)
L2 (Luxeon): 15 lumens (good for the floody beam)

I bet the exact same tailcap configuration is used for all three lights, that would explain why the newer L1's low is too high (there's no end to the complaints here on CPF, including mine). They all use the same resistor value (for simpler manufacturing logistics), I'm guessing.

I have a stock L2 and have thought about upgrades myself. The Room Sweeper is a fantastic build & I love it in my E1.

More food for thought:
  1. Milky has modified the L1 Cree to take 1x17500 from 1x16340 (stock config) https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/204339
  2. Milky has said that he should be able to modify the L1 Luxeon (the older, slightly longer L1 body comparable in length to the 2-cell 6P) to take 1x17670.
  3. Therefore, I'd bet a beer that Milky could modify the L2 to take 2x17500, as it has a body comparable in length to the 3-cell 9P. If he could work his magic to get a driver in the head like his 'Legolas' L1 1x17500 build, you might be able to get a regulated P7 running off of 2x17500 for awesome output and great runtime.
:devil::devil::devil::devil:

Last edited: