Cool White versus Neutral White LED

carmel

Newly Enlightened
I feel stupid asking this question, but I haven't been able to find the answer: which one of these tints tends more toward the "yellow" or "cream", and which more toward a "pure" white? I have a wonderful HDS 60 with the "purest" white tint I've ever seen, and every other light I've compared with it seems "yellowish" by comparison. Does that mean the HDS is "cool" or "neutral" white?

Thanks!

carmel

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, the HDS is pretty cool compared to the current's generation of neutral and warm white LEDs. Especially compared to the later..

DM51

Flashaholic
I'm moving this from "LED Flashlights" to "LED", which is the appropriate sub-forum for discussions of emitter characteristics.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What type of LED is it? I 'googled' HDS 60, and found in the first couple of specs that popped up that it was using a Lux III.

I've previously used Lux III neutral whites for commercial use, and found them subjectively quite neutral, and bright enough for their price/tech level. The Lux III is the butt end of a lot of jokes around here, but if the HDS 60 is using that emitter I've found them more neutral than my R2s and 'neutral white' P4's.

However, my biggest beef with Lux IIIs is they have *terrible* CRI. Unlike the Crees that have some obvious tint, the neutral Lux IIIs flatten every color horribly. The color is a lot like daylight balanced but super cheap (low CRI) metal halide. The Lux IIIs are very fatiguing to work with for long periods and I won't use them anymore for fixed lighting.

carmel

Newly Enlightened
Blasterman,

My understanding is that my HDS Ultimate 60 uses the SSC-P4 LED; as I said, not LED I have ever seen is a more pure white.

carmel

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blasterman,

My understanding is that my HDS Ultimate 60 uses the SSC-P4 LED; as I said, not LED I have ever seen is a more pure white.

carmel

If you have an SSC-P4 in the HDS U 60 then it has been modded and a few of them were modded with the SSC-P4. I think member whc was doing these for a while.
But then there were HDS Ultimate 60 P4 mods and then there is this HDS Ultimate 60 mod :

hdsp7c1.jpg

hdsp7web.jpg

darkzero mod - P7 - D2Flex driver with high current draw IMR 16340 hitting about 600 Lumens on high.