Fenix LD01?

realitycheck

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a small flashlight to carry for work. I'm a mechanic so I use it to hold in my mouth sometimes while im on the interior of a car different things like that. Right now I am using a Photon Rex for this. It works fine but doesnt hold a charge long and is annoying to recharge every night. So I was looking at getting Fenix LD01.
Tell me what you guys think of this light???
I've read of some problems with it, but it seems to be more with the stainless version than the black one. Maybe im wrong.
Is there alot of problems with it or am I just making too much of this?

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've been reading too much. No real problems get the light. Fantastic.

However a small angle light like the ZebraLight might be something nice so you don't have to hold it on your mouth.

Viper715

Enlightened
It does sound like you need a headlamp or angle light the ZL H30 and other Zebralights might fit the bill very well. I also have a Fenix LD01 very nice light I do recommend it nice quality and I've never had a problem. But it's about to be replaced by a Liteflux LF2x so if you decide your interested in the Fenix send me a PM and I would sell you mine. I also say buy them both there both very nice lights and am about to replace my H30 with an H60.

realitycheck

Newly Enlightened
I've thought bout a headlight before but, I carry my light in my pocket so its easier access. I dont have to use it all day but most of the time when I need it im already inside the car. Sometimes laying on my back or something like that and then reach in my pocket for my light. So its easier to carry it all day. And I just wouldnt walk around with a headlamp on my head all day, hehehe.

scottaw

Enlightened
I just bought my 5th LD01/L0D and i promise you'll love it. I've given 4 as gifts and everyone just raves about them. If you're not as enthused about it as I am, i'll probably buy it off ya and gift another one. If you need a light to mouth-hold, this weighs nothing and is just a hair thicker than a cigarette, easy to hold onto. The low mode could be lower, but medium and high are perfect. Get yourself a set of rechargable batteries, one for the runtime bonus, and two because you'll be using it a lot!

BRO

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a small flashlight to carry for work. I'm a mechanic so I use it to hold in my mouth sometimes while im on the interior of a car different things like that. Right now I am using a Photon Rex for this. It works fine but doesnt hold a charge long and is annoying to recharge every night. So I was looking at getting Fenix LD01.
Tell me what you guys think of this light???
I've read of some problems with it, but it seems to be more with the stainless version than the black one. Maybe im wrong.
Is there alot of problems with it or am I just making too much of this?

Don't know what bad things you read but I like mine fine. I keep it hook up with an old shoe lace around my neck as a back up when out and about. I have held it in my month while doing things more then a few time. I suspect you will like it a lot. Enjoy!

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the best AAA light out there. I ended up replacing mine with the LF2X which is more expensive but provides more versitality. But the Fenix does have some advantages in my opinion. It is a bit smaller and lighter. Its UI may be prefered to some due to it being less complicated. I found it easier to operate one handed. If I was constantly taking it out of my pocket and using it I would prefer the Fenix because of this.

Skeptic

Newly Enlightened
I bought a stainless steel LD01 for my mother and myself for Christmas. Sadly there are no more stainless steel ones left at 4 Sevens. :( So I bought my dad one of the black aluminum ones this last week. It is such a cool little light in a small package.

I found the clip on the LD01 really handy to put on the bill of a baseball cap. It was really helpful when I was moving things around in the car after dark.

I have ordered the EZAA, I am sure it will be nice light. However, it is a bit larger than the LD01. I don't know if the EZAA will take the place of my LD01 or if it will just be added to another pocket. :grin2:

realitycheck

Newly Enlightened
Skeptic im pretty sure that batteryjunction.com still has the stainless in stock.

Yeah I was actually looking at the EZAA this morning but really decided for me it was two big for a keychain light. And I didnt like the way you switched between output modes. Seemed like to much twisting, but im probably just picky.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
... Sadly there are no more stainless steel ones left at 4 Sevens. :( ...
That's no reason for a :(, they are still available from a few places. GET THEM WHILE THEY ARE HOT! No word yet if there will be a second run.

Marduke

Flashaholic
I've thought bout a headlight before but, I carry my light in my pocket so its easier access. I dont have to use it all day but most of the time when I need it im already inside the car. Sometimes laying on my back or something like that and then reach in my pocket for my light. So its easier to carry it all day. And I just wouldnt walk around with a headlamp on my head all day, hehehe.

Why would you need to have it on your head all day? Keep a small headlamp in your pocket, pull it out as needed, same as any other light.

Burgess

Flashaholic
I am looking for a small flashlight to carry for work.
I'm a mechanic so I use it to hold in my mouth sometimes
while im on the interior of a car different things like that.

Sounds like you could really use a Headlamp ! :)

I'm sure you've seen the comical blurb:

( driver, speaking to mechanic . . . . )

" Fix my horn. My brakes don't work. "

:whistle:

_

PetaBread

Enlightened
I'm a mechanic so I use it to hold in my mouth sometimes while im on the interior of a car different things like that.

Sounds like you really need a headlamp.

It does sound like you need a headlamp or angle light the ZL H30 and other Zebralights might fit the bill very well.

Why would you need to have it on your head all day? Keep a small headlamp in your pocket, pull it out as needed, same as any other light.

Sounds like you could really use a Headlamp ! :)

+1 :clap: Very good advice being given.

P.S. Multi quoting is so useful. :thumbsup:

realitycheck

Newly Enlightened
I love this forum, lovecpf
Marduke I was just joking about keeping it on my head all day.
I was thinking about the old headlamps like I have at home that are really cheap and big. I didnt know about the zebralight ones. They look really nice.
I forgot to mention this would also be my edc light for things around the house and all that. So I wanted to get something to fit all these things.
The headlamp is a great idea for a technician though. I just dont have money for both, and im already in trouble for getting this one. :D

Burgess i've never heard that one before but I think I got it. :thumbsup:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might I suggest you carry the LD01 on a neck lanyard. It is easily accessed and if it should accidentally fall from your mouth it won't go very far.

2swift

Newly Enlightened
Might want to watch that neck lanyard. Forget that it is on while looking/leaning over a running engine would not end well.

realitycheck

Newly Enlightened
Yeah I probably wont go with the neck lanyard because we wear button up shirts and when I used to wear the photon on a neck lanyard it would come out of the shirt in between the buttons.
One of my good friends where I work just cut his index finger off about two weeks ago. So Im completely changing alot of things I do now.

realitycheck

Newly Enlightened
Well guys I just got my LD01 in the mail today. I've been playing with it already and I love it. It is so light and easy to operate. The three modes are perfect for me so far. It's just a smidge bigger than my chap stick and almost weighs the same, hehe. This is my first little flashlight with this kind of power. Thank you guys so much for recommending this one too me. I cant wait to use it at work.
lovecpf