Please help a newbie pick an AA EDC light

slim whitman

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone -

I am very new to this higher-end flashlight world. I have an early Fenix L2D with a reverse clickly, but want something smaller for EDC.

My requirements:

-One AA
-Tactial type switch
-At least a high and a low mode, but more would be better

I am leaning toward the NiteCore NDI. I don't think I would care for any of the PD NiteCores, so they are out.

I really like the Olight T15, but I think it has a reverse clicky - does anyone know for sure?

I plan to carry this light along with my CCW, so a tactical switch is a biggie.

Any thoughts from the experts? Sorry to be the newb...I have done alot of searching on this forum but I am not finding what I want.

Thank you in advance-

sw

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:
My requirements:
-One AA
-Tactial type switch
-At least a high and a low mode, but more would be better

Many. Check out Selfbuilt's reviews Part 1 - IV for 1xAA lights. You just have to spot the ones with tactical switches. Most, if not all, offer at least 2 levels.

I am leaning toward the NiteCore NDI.
That would be my choice and recommendation. :thumbsup:

slim whitman

Newly Enlightened
Thank you everyone for your responses -

Marduke, I had thought about that but was wondering how a forward clicky would work with the L2D interface - would the modes change every time I pushed the button?

Thanks again -

sw

monkey1368

Newly Enlightened
I would use a Nitecore Extreme or Surefire E1b for CCW. These are 123 lights, not AA, but the power is a huge difference with not much of a size difference.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Fenix L1T V2 has a forward clickie and only two modes.
Tighten head for high, loosen for low.
It will work on your L2D body also.

travelinman

Enlightened
ITP C7 $43

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]* LED type: Premium Cree XR-E Q5
* Reverse-polarity protection prevents wrongly installed batteries from damaging the circuit
* Made of aerospace grade aluminium alloy
* Ergonomic design for various functions:anti-rolling, anti-shattering, water resistant, shockproof
* Hard finish with Type 3 anodization
* Aluminium alloy reflector with half smooth and half orange peel
* Toughened ultra clear glass lens
* Unique infinitely variable digital -controlled brightness system. Selects any output level from 6 lumens to 190 lumens with lockout memory feature
* Tactical momentary-on forward switch
* Working voltage range: 1.0V to 4.2V
* Compatible with 1 x AA, 1 x 14500 (Li-Ion)
* Constant current output control system
* Comes with accessories (Spare o-rings, silicone tail caps)
* Comes with 18 months warranty
* C7's head is compatible with C9/C8's bodies

Size: 4.25" X 1.06"
Weight: 2.70 OZ
[/FONT]

slim whitman

Newly Enlightened
Update:

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I am starting to realize that finding a do all light that can be EDC'd is a difficult proposition.

I was also trying to find a way to carry a spare battery on my person. I looked at the various spy capsules, but I decided that if I was going to put something like that on my key chain, it might as well be another flashlight.

So I ordered a L1D tube for my first generation L2D to go on my keychain as a general purpose/back-up light, and a NiteCore Defender Infinity as my first line carry/CCW light.

I am excited. Thanks again for all of your help. Now I need to shop for a 2 AA emergency light.....this is getting addictive.

sw

fixitman

Newly Enlightened
Update:

I was also trying to find a way to carry a spare battery on my person. I looked at the various spy capsules, but I decided that if I was going to put something like that on my key chain, it might as well be another flashlight.

sw

When I read this, my first thought was "sounds like he needs a Nitecore EZ AA"
The EZ AA is pretty much the smallest AA light out there.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
fixitman..and when i read what you wrote, i just thought "hmm hardly anyone has one yet (ez aa) so i wouldnt dare to suggest one that is just a preorder flashlight at the moment."

it sounds nice and it is said to be small. made by ok company. might order one eventually myself. but currently it is still in "daydream" stage as flashlight, as it is not tested and tried by several users yet.

next month we all will know more.

and i wouldnt be suprised if others would make similar size flashlights too. and currently there is similar sized AA light too.. but it is a headlamp and flood only. zebralight h50 and h501.

**Slim: smart move for using your trusty old light as backup (and as batterycarrier). i personally dont trust any new flashlight i carry until i have used it for atleast few days/weeks. (its used heavily while i have a more battle tested backup with me, just in case :( )