Post your "made-up words".

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Post your \"made-up words\".

When I first got to California, someone used the word "sh'loads" in a sentence, as a contraction of the word "shitloads". I laughed hard. It seemed like some kind of strange Cali attitude that prompted people to contract words and phrases.

Shortly after, I made up my own Caltraction, "f'long", for a foot-long sub sandwich or hotdog.
I also found the need for a term describing a situation that sucks in one way, but rules in another. This gave birth to "suckrules". An example would be if you had a flat tire, but the person that stopped to help you offered you a job at a substantial pay raise. "Dude, that flat suckruled."
I have others, but I can't remember them offhand. They just come out sometimes.

Do you have any that you made up?

Zeppert

Enlightened
Re: Post your

CHAbareNESStwinkee of PAblekNEairNEantically

My buddy used to say that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

(I know there is medicine for folks like HIM)

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

...and I thought I had too much time on "my" hands!...(probably a made up word for that one too, but I don't have time to think about it, as a matter of fact, I hate to think at all...probably another made up word for that one also!)

Observation Notes: "Please keep it within bounds of a 'Family Environment' or we'll be forced to do that "Good Cop, Bad Cop" thing!" Right now this is the "Good Cop" speaking! Just didn't want those "words" getting out of hand! Thanks folks...

BF Hammer

Enlightened
Re: Post your \"made-up words\".

I can't take credit for it, but where I work we use the term "gription" to describe the characteristic of rubber paper feed pulley's ability to pull paper inside of a photocopier. A merging of the terms "grip" and "friction". I imagine it would apply to auto tires as well.

Flashlightboy

Enlightened

For all of you who speak Spanish, this is a word that needs to be placed in the community, with work and with friends. Eventually, it will become a part of everyday language.

The word is 'paraja'. It means 'festive headwear' as in "What paraja should I wear to the party tonight?" It isn't limited to parties but rather it's all-encompassing headwear for any spirited occasion.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: Post your \'\'made up words\'\'.

Urinator \ YER'en'ay'ter \ (n.)
A urinal that splashes your own pee all over your shoes or pants leg when you use it or flush it.

Toilaflexion \ toy'lah'FLEK'shun \ (v.)
The unnatural twisting and bending motions made by people as they wipe while still seated on a toliet. Toliaflexion can occasionally result in pulls or strains if performed while standing.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

I`ve always been fond of your Merferator : the cardboard core of a roll of toliet paper, and Buculets: the little bumps on the underside of a toliet seat.

One that I don`t claim to be mine, but like nonetheless is Muppetry : the act of being rather stupid. Derived from the alternative meaning of Muppet : a rather stupid person. Copyright by Steve Wright, BBC Radio 2, but I believe calling someone a Muppet is also a colloquial London term so maybe that`s where it came from.

Not affilliated with Kermit, Animal and friends....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

gyverpete

Enlightened

I can't think of any of my own right now, but here's a link to a whole page of them:

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/maddog/stuff/sniglets.html

They're called SNIGLETS, a word apparently coined by Rich Hall, an author of a series of SNIGLET dictionaries and former "Onion World" show host which was on a comedy channel many years ago. SNIGLETS is defined as "Any word which should be in the dictionary but isn't."

D

**DONOTDELETE**

the certainificity of the congradulability of this string lies in it's embiggening of the overall humanical soulitude.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Clusterfuge - when 8 or more monkeys are after one football for sexual reasons.

Otherwise known as SNAFU.

I probably use many more, but brain is something I've been short on lately...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
gyverpete said:
...They're called SNIGLETS, a word apparently coined by Rich Hall, an author of a series of SNIGLET dictionaries...

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the same guy who was on HBO back in the mid-1970s promoting Sniglets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tomas

Banned

From one of my old employee manuals when I still had a company (I didn't make up the word, I don't know who did, but it was perfect for my uses):

"When dealing with a new client that has left another company because of being disgruntled, your primary mission should be to regruntle them."

Another I like because of it's being so descriptive is "fugly" meaning, of course, uh, "____ing ugly."

Think I'll quit while I'm ahead .. or at least not losing by too much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

tomsig02.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PieThatCorner

Enlightened

All I remember is the Saturday Night Live episode with Will Farrow playing then Presidential Candidate, George W. Bush, and using the word "Strategery" in a debate... had me laughing for a few minutes.

-Jim

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Tonight I watched a Sammy Hagar DVD, it reminded me of another I made up.
My nickname for Cabo San Lucus, is "Gobble Some Mucus".

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Somewhere along the lines of using the words "thermal epoxy" for doing a few projects with some mountings, I just thrashed the two together to get:
"thermpoxy"

Sounds quicker and cleaner to me than saying the full 2 words...

Ross

Enlightened

Has anyone heard of Rogers Profanisorus? It's published by Viz comic (a bit of an institution in the UK) and is basically a swearing dictionary.
It's very funny, very British and well worth a read. I havent looked online for it but I bet it will be up somewhere!

Ross

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
Bowser said:
Has anyone heard of Rogers Profanisorus?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never have, but apparently Google has. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Go here if you're interested. (Careful at work!)