Flashlight makes noise when switched on

obokeeper

Newly Enlightened
HI,

I am a relative newbie to this world currently owning a Fenix P3D Q5 and a Fenix P1D.

I have just bought a Trustfire P7-F15 from Dealextreme just to see what it is like. Overall I am quite happy with it, but when I switch it on it emits a whistle/tone. It makes the sound when in High/Low mode but not in Strobe.

Could any one enlighten me (no pun intended) as to whether this is normal or a sign of something not quite right?

My next 'proper' purchase is going to be the Fenix TK40.

Many thanks

Mark

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
More than likely normal. Many driver circuits will whine on different settings, it comes from the electonic components that regulate/step down the current to the LED. Some flashlights are louder than others, some don't have it at all.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is often a result of "Inductor Whine", or Inductor Noise and is just as FlashCrazy described it. Remember the noise that Camera Flashes make when they recharge?

It can be very annoying.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's funny you don't notice it in strobe, in any of my multi-mode lights strobe is most noticeable sound wise.

obokeeper

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks for all of your, very quick, replies.

Lumafist - thanks for making me smile.

All the Best

Mark

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
:thinking: My lights make noise when they are off.

They keep calling out to me trying to get me to use them even more. :laughing:

Your light, unlike me, is normal. :)

pOkiE

Newly Enlightened
:thinking: My lights make noise when they are off.

They keep calling out to me trying to get me to use them even more. :laughing:

Your light, unlike me, is normal. :)

crackup.gif
I keep my 6P right under my tv and sometimes feel the urge to light something up when I see it!

as for the whine...I think its normal. My Fenix P1D doesnt make any noise by the P1D I got for a friend of mines makes a soft whine on the highest setting. I guess its not a consistent problem..?

H.J.M.

Newly Enlightened
Flashlight making a high pitched tone when on.

Hello everyone

i have an olight S15 baton. Fuel is an eneloop. When it is on in low mode it makes a high pitched hum. Tonight it started doing it in medium mode.
I have emailed olight twice. I have received no reply yet.
Has anyone had something similar happen? Did you discover what was the cause?

I am also wondering if anyone here knows how to go about fixing this issue? What are the options? I tried fresh batteries, makes no difference. I'd like to exhaust all options before returning. Or maybe that is simpler.

HJM

Roanqoan

Newly Enlightened
Flashlight making a high pitched tone when on.

That happens on my 4sevens mlr2 on low and medium at times. I don't know how to fix it, but I've come across a few posts here on cpf that made it seem like this was not an indicator of malfunction. Just seems to happen on certain lights. My mlr2 has functioned normally for the past year with a hum.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Re: Flashlight making a high pitched tone when on.

It's induction hum, a small percentage of all our flashlights have it; there's someplace along the circuit path where a microscopic bit is slightly loose, so that when a current passes through it, it vibrates with the current and produces an audible sound. This makes no difference at all in the functionality or operation of the light, if the sound doesn't bother you, you can leave it.