LED Lenser Police Tech Focus / V2 Professional

milanlad

Newly Enlightened
Hello

I'm new to torches but not new to technology and electronics.

I was looking at Torches from Ledco and was trying to decide between the Lenser Police Tech Focus and the V2 Professional. I couldn't see much difference in technology or performance.

Does anyone know which is a better option?

Thanks

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Welcome to the forum!!! Hope you enjoy this great hobby, its a lot of fun.

I would steer clear of any 3AAA Lenser, they are direct driven and lenser only recommends alkaline cells. They don't explicitly state it anywhere on the packaging, but a Lenser rep admitted that the higher current output of NiMH cells can damage their 3AAA lights. This was discussed a couple months back.

This isn't a knock against Lenser... IMHO any light from any company that only permits alkaline chemistry should be avoided.

IMHO a better direct driven XR-E light is the Home depot 3-Watt Husky. Its only $22, water resistant, tail stands, will run off any ~3.6V cell chemistry, and has a nice forward clicky. HD considers it a tool and has a lifetime replacement warranty. When direct driven off an 18650 or 18500 it emits about 175 Lumens (ballpark estimate).

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I recommend there penlights such as

http://www.zweibrueder.com/ENG/produkte/html_classicline/html_arbeitslampen/v12.php?id=v12

I have one and I like it. Also I should note that these lights aren't made in Germany but China.

x2... I gave my cousin a small button cell type light and he likes it a lot. FWIW, I like Lensers smaller Nichia based lights best. Although I still think they fall short of the Fenix E0 series, SL Microstream and Gerber/CMG lights.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd say research a bit more and look through what else is available first.

What output do you want?
What price?
What runtime?
Multimode?
What size?
What batteries?

:welcome:

milanlad

Newly Enlightened
I'd say research a bit more and look through what else is available first.

What output do you want?
What price?
What runtime?
Multimode?
What size?
What batteries?

:welcome:

well, i did indeed do a bit of research and settled on these two LED Lenser torches, but was struggling on deciding which one as they both seem to have similar specs.

for now my budget is small but when that changes i will probably go for Surefire torches.

Marduke

Flashaholic
well, i did indeed do a bit of research and settled on these two LED Lenser torches, but was struggling on deciding which one as they both seem to have similar specs.

for now my budget is small but when that changes i will probably go for Surefire torches.

For your budget, you can get a lot of nicer lights than those two.

kramer5150

Flashaholic

those lights are in the $45-$55 neighborhood. Pssst... you CAN get a Surefire for that much dough. 6Ps are ~$45 new on ebay, get a DX11836 drop in for ~$10 and your'e miles ahead of either of those lensers.

Fenix, eagle-tac, lumapower, olight (off the top of my head) also have great lights in this price range. My personal favorite budget light is the Romisen RC-N3-Q5 from shiningbeam, its only $25, so you'll have plenty of money left over for some eneloops or AW 16340 cells!!!

Not sure why your selection process led you to either of these lights... but IMHO for the $$$ there are better options. Believe me... I tried really hard to like the 3AAA format, because I have 8 Nimh cells already and I get alkalines for free at work... still I just could not find one that was worth a darn, and offered any performance advantage over the 2AA, 16340 or 18650 formats.

But good luck to you in whatever you decide.

:D

Last edited:

milanlad

Newly Enlightened
thanks for all suggestions so far.

ideally i want to buy a Surefire 6P LED and a E1B Backup. although, i was wondering if i should get a standard 6P and purchase an LED drop-in.

i live in the UK and prices vary and usually expensive for the good stuff like surefire. Lensers are cheaper here.

i will think again about my choices, wait a bit until my budget is better and get surefire products.

cheers

HKJ

Flashaholic
i live in the UK and prices vary and usually expensive for the good stuff like surefire. Lensers are cheaper here.

i will think again about my choices, wait a bit until my budget is better and get surefire products.

Surefires are god flashlights, but there are many other and also some good shops in uk.
A good flashlight brand is Fenix, they have a broad selection of different models and is easy to get in the UK.

Here are two shops: http://thephotonshop.co.uk/ http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/

kramer5150

Flashaholic
thanks for all suggestions so far.

ideally i want to buy a Surefire 6P LED and a E1B Backup. although, i was wondering if i should get a standard 6P and purchase an LED drop-in.

cheers

If you can find an ebay seller willing to ship to the UK you are in business.... $45 for a new 6P and $10 for a DX drop in.

The second option you have is the Solarforce L2. It is every bit as good as the 6P. Many prefer click switches over twisties. IIRC solarforcestore ships overseas. The L2 solarforce is good enough for MrGman to use as his reference standard in his lumen output sticky at the top of the page, and AFIAK it is his preference over the 6P.

Don't think for a second you have to pay surefire prices to get surefire quality levels, if your goal is a bright illumination tool... (this statement coming from a surefire fan). Brightness is not what Surefire does best.

IMHO you should also consider the fenix TK20... IMHO its the best light that runs off standard AA, get some eneloops or high capacity NiMH cells and you have an outstanding budget setup. Its really an amazing light with its warm tint and bezel twist mode switching.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can get a good 6P clone like the Solarforce and a well recommended drop-in is $9.10 USD so total price might be similar to what the LEDlensers would cost. 3 AAA really isn't a good setup at all.

How much is the LedLenser there?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
So that's around $40.88-51.10 USD. There are a few other options at this price range.

How do you plan on using the light?

Also remember that LEDlenser's runtimes are very deceiving. You won't get whatever the output for the runtime they state since their runtimes seems to be based on how long it takes for the LED to not be visibably glowing.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
So that's around $40.88-51.10 USD. There are a few other options at this price range.

How do you plan on using the light?

Also remember that LEDlenser's runtimes are very deceiving. You won't get whatever the output for the runtime they state since their runtimes seems to be based on how long it takes for the LED to not be visibably glowing.

.... since they are direct drive and LL only recommends Alkalines, the output drops rapidly on a steep slope after the first~10-15 minutes.

lol666

Newly Enlightened
I have the V2 and its very study :thumbsup: It has a very focused beam and makes a wonderfull beam at night :)

So its recommended :D

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast

cheers

There is the fenix range of lights, tough and dependable as evidenced if you do some research here on CPF.

There is a Fenix UK website (click here) that has free delivery for UK orders. I own a few Fenix lights and they're tough as nails and pretty darn bright too.

oh and :welcome:

rlorion

Newly Enlightened
I have 2 Fenix lights, PD30 and the LD20 and both are great lights and the PD30 goes everywhere with me. I also have the LedLenser P7, which I like for it's focusing capability and brightness...having said that, it's runtime/brightness are only as good as the batteries that are in it. If your looking for regulated run times LedLenser might not be your best choice. SureFire's are great lights also, but just real expensive IMO. I have the SureFire L2 Digital Lumamax and it's a great light, just not worth what it costs. There are so many choices out there and this place is the best resource for helping you decide.

lovecpf

ugly_giddy

Newly Enlightened
i have a led lenser p4 i use at work (nights). i bought it here,

http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/professional-torches.html

and my fenix pd30 that i always carry. bought it from flashaholics just recently.

just now id been looking at the police tech before i went to this site. i like it but theres something that im not sure about this torch. maybe the battery. im after a torch that can use rechargeable batt. if ever u decide that ur gonna get the police tech heres another site for you:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=140774

if your gonna ask me, i like my pd30 as my all around torch. very solid and has anexcellent light although im not particular with high lumen count;).

good luck