Nitecore D10 goes POP

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a mostly depleted alkaline Energizer battery in my D10 last night and stood it on end for a night light.
When I woke up this morning I grab the D10 and tried to press the piston but it would not move, so thinking that the battery may have leaked, I unscrewed the head and it made a loud pop as I got to the end of the threads.

I guess it was gas buildup but the battery did not leak though.
Has anyone else had this happen?

I wonder what a CR123 might do in my EX10 under the same circumstances.
:poof:???

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
The light had to pass some gas... We all do it from time to time.

Serious note: I've heard of this with other lights but I dont have a answer for you...

Looking back I have contributed nothing to this thread.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Alkaline does that, and they might leak shortly after. I just had the exactly same happen with a L0D, when I opened it, it made a pop, but the battery had leaked:mecry:

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a mostly depleted alkaline Energizer battery in my D10 last night and stood it on end for a night light.
When I woke up this morning I grab the D10 and tried to press the piston but it would not move, so thinking that the battery may have leaked, I unscrewed the head and it made a loud pop as I got to the end of the threads.

I guess it was gas buildup but the battery did not leak though.
Has anyone else had this happen?

I wonder what a CR123 might do in my EX10 under the same circumstances.
:poof:???

Someone posted yesterday in the River Rock headlamp thread about a situation that happened when a CR123 exploded inside of a defribulator machine. It blew the casing apart and it threw 2 guys ac4ross the room. IIRC this happened back in 1999. Not sure how many cells it took to cause this kind of explosion.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Alkaline cells can fail in a variety of ways (much more frequently than any other chemistry)... leaking, venting.. some even swell up and get jammed in the body tube. Theres a reason why both Duracell and Energizer offer full $$$ back for any product their batteries destroy. Its the financial equivalent of admitting you have a faulty, destructive product.... without actually stating that on the package.

They can fail any time without warning, regardless of cell age.

The only advice I can give is to avoid using them in any light that you intend to keep. If you remove them while not in use you (obviously) improve your odds.

Luckily your light was not damaged...:twothumbs

Last edited:

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Someone posted yesterday in the River Rock headlamp thread about a situation that happened when a CR123 exploded inside of a defribulator machine. It blew the casing apart and it threw 2 guys ac4ross the room. IIRC this happened back in 1999. Not sure how many cells it took to cause this kind of explosion.

This story makes me glad my headlamp takes alkalines.
I guess having a CR123 flashlight go boom in my pocket would not be much better though.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alkaline cells can fail in a variety of ways... leaking, venting.. some even swell up and get jammed in the body tube. Theres a reason why both Duracell and Energizer offer full $$$ back for any product their batteries destroy. Its the financial equivalent of admitting you have a faulty, destructive product.... without actually stating that on the package.

They can fail any time without warning, regardless of cell age.

The only advice I can give is to avoid using them in any light that you intend to keep. If you remove them while not in use you (obviously) improve your odds.

Luckily your light was not damaged...:twothumbs

I will have to be carefull about running depleted batteries in my lights from now on.
I am very glad that Energizer did not leak.

Nocam

Newly Enlightened
The light had to pass some gas... We all do it from time to time.

Serious note: I've heard of this with other lights but I dont have a answer for you...

Looking back I have contributed nothing to this thread.

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

litetube

Enlightened
C'mon now. A little CR123 ain't gonna blow two grown adult males across the room for Gods Sake!!!

If that were the case these itty bity batteries would be in use by the military as hand grenades.

Dont get me wrong I am not gonna throw one in a fire but thats like saying a lady finger firecracker blew a guys whole arm off man!! I saw it for real!!!

Latest posts