A few expensive lights vs. Many cheaper

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had 15 or so medium priced lights $50 to $150 dollars, but then I end up having many of them. (its harder to hide from the significant other).

So, then I though. If I just had 3~5 lights that were custom or expensive It would be easier to have in the house and I could always say they are $50.:whistle:

I am down to:
A 2DMag P7 build
A Surefire M6
A Surefire 3P Parts with 2 P60 P7/MC-E drop-ins.
A G2 w/M60LLF glove box duty only.
Malkoff MD2 w/MC-E

Have any of you thinned down the herd to upgrade and just keep the few priced ones??????

DM51

Flashaholic
It won't work - you are about to get another high-end light. We all know you are going to get a Megalennium body and a second KT4 head. You'll run a WA1185 in that, with a LED set-up in your existing M6. It's no use protesting - we all know. LOL

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I don't think it works that way.... you just end up at a higher end of the $$$ scale, with just as many lights. So the madness continues, it will just cost you more. Heck at least you'll be better equipped to see the better half coming...LOL. Heck, blind her make a run for it and hope the couch is warm and comfy.

I'm happy splashing around in the 0-200 Lumen tidepools, I can't afford to play with the sharks yet.

:D

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
It's a nice theory but it did not pan out that way for me. Almost as many lights but more money involved.

At least the lights are nicer at the higher end of the scale!

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
It worked for me for about a year but then I bought another and then another. Soon instead of a few expensive lights and many cheaper lights I now have many expensive lights and a few cheaper lights.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess others have already endured and suffered as I have. Well, currently I keep telling myself just a few priced lights is it and no more. hopefully I will be strong for a while.

Jose

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once I acquire just enough lights so that at least one of them goes unused, I end up going on a selling tirade. I tell myself, "Ok Bruce, you've got a cash buffer now that you're not supposed to touch in case of an emergency", and that usually lasts about a week or so. Then what happens is a custom comes along on B/S/T that I can't pass up, and I'm back where I started all over again. It's a vicious cycle which I'm sure we can all relate to.

Not counting the ones I keep in my vehicle, the thinnest I've ever had the herd was three lights (Ti Aeon, Mule-E1B lego, KL4-E1B lego) but they eventually started to feel lonely. :shakehead

mmajunkie

Newly Enlightened
When it's time I must hide things I purchase from my wife,it will be the day I file for Divorce.

I never understood why Adults would need to buy things behind their spouse back.

If its something you can afford and won't take food off the table or prevent bills from being paid, WTF.

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
When it's time I must hide things I purchase from my wife,it will be the day I file for Divorce.

I never understood why Adults would need to buy things behind their spouse back.

If its something you can afford and won't take food off the table or prevent bills from being paid, WTF.

Great and valid point. For me however it is the whole "you spend how much on a Flashlight" "You already have XX already", but when I say you already have 3 LV purses it is a different story.

My shooting buddies will spend $1~$2k on a 1911 pistol and see nothing wrong with that, but when I show them my $200 plus lights they freak out and think I am crazy, but now I got them into Malkoff and P7 lights too.:nana:

afraidofdark

Enlightened
You know, compared to other hobbies, flashlights are a pretty good deal. The amount of functionality and performance you get for even $50-100 is pretty high. And the custom builds that can be had for $200+ are just amazing.

+1 to bigchelis on gun collecting: that pastime can run you some serious pesos. And then you still have to stick a flashlight on each one! :laughing:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
You know, compared to other hobbies, flashlights are a pretty good deal. The amount of functionality and performance you get for even $50-100 is pretty high. And the custom builds that can be had for $200+ are just amazing. :laughing:

x2... Compared to other hobbies CPF is a very affordable hobby. Watch collecting is (IMHO) the most way $$$ out there. Hows $12000 for a Panerai sound? or $11000 for a Bell&Ross, of course everyone is familiar with omega and rolex. When you consider these timepieces are no more accurate than a $150 Seiko or Citizen...:ohgeez::broke:... get me back to CPF!!

bigchellis... my offer is still out there... if you want to unload that DX MC-E, its $25 towards your recovery effort. LOL
:thumbsup:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have any of you thinned down the herd to upgrade and just keep the few priced ones??????
My herd is predominantly made up of lower cost lights so I couldn't sell them to buy better ones.

I recently went the P60 host route in the hope that I would stop buying so many lights.

Now, instead of buying entire lights I'll just be buying drop-ins....until I get too many drop-ins and need more hosts....and batteries

:poof::crackup:

EDIT: Great theory, poor implementation. I just ordered another Solarforce L2 R2M 18650 light, this time in Grey :ohgeez:

Last edited:

popcornpicker

Newly Enlightened
I'm still a noob but have bought many flashlights based on other people's suggestions and recommendations.

After I play with one for a while, I give it to the person that will use it the most.

I'm not a high end buyer but a $20.00 Ultrafire will blow away almost any other flashlight you find on the street.

Unless it is for a very specific purpose, $25.00 will buy a torch that is better than most people have ever seen.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
x2... Compared to other hobbies CPF is a very affordable hobby. Watch collecting is (IMHO) the most way $$$ out there. Hows $12000 for a Panerai sound? or $11000 for a Bell&Ross, of course everyone is familiar with omega and rolex. When you consider these timepieces are no more accurate than a $150 Seiko or Citizen...:ohgeez::broke:... get me back to CPF!!

bigchellis... my offer is still out there... if you want to unload that DX MC-E, its $25 towards your recovery effort. LOL
:thumbsup:

I finally stopped spending money on hi-fi sound (headphones in particular) once I found a setup I liked, this hobby is quite affordable compared to that. You know that already though:wave:

faco

Enlightened
I am a watchaholic, knifaholic & a flashaholic :D After so many years I have settled down with just 2 Watches, 3 Knives and 3 Flashlights of the middle to high end of the scale, but not too high :naughty:

I'm very happy with my small collection of middle to slightly high end EDC items I use regularly, and will only upgrade if something better or more suitable is available.

Too many cheap gadgets will equal to one expensive gadget. In many cases you get what you pay for, I prefer to research and buy better products. One expensive light can cost you less than many cheap lights.

Strange as it must sound, I actually felt sorry for the many Shelf Queens left behind when I'm out, thats why recently I sold the last of my EDC Shelf Queens. The money came in handy as well, especially in the current financial state we are in.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Mrs. DM51 finds out I have a new light = she goes and buys a new handbag

Handbag $ > Flashlight $, so this is inequitable

Flashlight = useful, handbag = not very useful (why not use pockets?)

I try to make sure she doesn't find out about new flashlights

LOL

Rob187

Enlightened
Mrs. DM51 finds out I have a new light = she goes and buys a new handbag

Handbag $ > Flashlight $, so this is inequitable

Flashlight = useful, handbag = not very useful (why not use pockets?)

I try to make sure she doesn't find out about new flashlights

LOL

Exactly.