Experimenting while installing P6 drop ins in a couple of E series heads...

Pontiaker

Enlightened
So I gutted an older version E series head, the one with the bubble lense TIR style optic, the older style. I milled the center section so it was hollow and the drop in would fit through and contact the battery and tube of a 2 cell E series body. I then tunred the p6 size reflector down to fit into the e series head. Anyway it came out pretty damn cool! I was playing with alot of different reflectors both smooth and textured, installed several different led's including a Q5, R2 and even a P7. The reflector is just too small to run the P7, it works but there is not really much of a spot.Its super bright too, would light up a good size romm pretty damn bright. The Q5 and R2 drop ins work great. Also whith the R2 or Q5 drop in I used the bubble shaped lense and you get an awesome super sharp edged spot with lots of spill, really good throw and flood. With either of these LED's the body does get pretty warm but never too hot to carry. Would be a great hand warmer in the winter time on long dog walks:~) Anyway I can now run any over the counter P6 drop-in in my e series lights by just unscrewing the alum reflector and installing the cut down one and stick them in. The one thing I cant understand is I have this little single cell e series light running the DX 11074 drop in modded for me by another member and this thing is still brighter than any other single cell or two cell E series light I have! Cant wait to get some more of the 11074 if they ever get them back in stock....Maybe I will get some beamshots up tonight, if anyone cares to even see them...
Matt

gmcjimd

Newly Enlightened
Still trying to best my little flame thrower:sssh:
Glad to here its still setting the standard!

Jim

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
You took a KL1 with optic and did the mod? Removed the guts/LED/circuit and milled it out for the fitting of the drop-in? How is the contact for heat sinking? Actually there are mods than can be done to the older E series LED heads that boost the output considerably. More efficient LED's, better circuits, or just modifying, for example, the KL1 circuit for higher output with a nice modern LED.

Bill

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Still trying to best my little flame thrower:sssh:
Glad to here its still setting the standard!

Jim
Yep its awesome man! have not found anything better yet....At this time I cant even duplicate it using the same parts!:crackup:

Pontiaker

Enlightened
You took a KL1 with optic and did the mod? Removed the guts/LED/circuit and milled it out for the fitting of the drop-in? How is the contact for heat sinking? Actually there are mods than can be done to the older E series LED heads that boost the output considerably. More efficient LED's, better circuits, or just modifying, for example, the KL1 circuit for higher output with a nice modern LED.

Bill
I want the newest style smooth head that comes on the Backup and the newest TIR. I just cant explain it but if you saw the light Jim built that I have its just out of this world. It is birghter than ANY P style drop in I have. It has a tight large spot with no inclusions and it throws like crazy but still has usable spill. Its bar none the best most used light I have! Its second in brightness only to my larger P7 modded lights.Its really unbelievable performance from a small single cell light!!

Latest posts