looking for new light

nightowl66

Newly Enlightened
I am lookng for a new light that I don't need.
I have a Streamlilite NF-2 which I like. I want one that I can have bright or dim. I am thinking between the Fenix L2D and the ITP-C8R.
Any help or guidance is appreciated.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The NightFighter is an incandescent light, but because you mentioned having a high and low setting, and mentioned two LED lights as possibilities, I'll assume you're looking into an LED light. I'm also going to assume, due to the two lights you mentioned, that you're looking for a light that uses 2 AA cells.

Both lights are fine lights. Fenix has a greater following and for the most part has a very good reputation. I have no experience with the ITP lights personally.
The big question is do you want a simple light that simply turns on and off/ switches from low to high? The Fenix does this pretty well, plus has some other modes thrown in there. The ITP is slightly more complex I believe; maybe someone else can confirm.
If you're looking for a very simple light with no excess modes or flash-y settings, look into an Eagletac P100A2.

If you have any further information about what you want or how you intend to use the light some of us may be able to give more specific answers.

:welcome:

Last edited:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
i have the itp c8t.
2 aa, no strobe tactical light that has momentary clicky and very nice way of choosing the light output. loosen the head a bit and light dims or brightens, when in "right" amount, tighten it. (to me momentary is important feature and i hate strobe)

i like the heft of it and knurling is nice, firm grip without feeling too sharp. beam shape is nice, tint colour is very bright white. but i do need two hands to change the amount of output. nitecore d20 would be one option that uses 2AA, and can be dimmed etc by one handed operation.

i belive they all are fine choices.

eagletac i have no experience with yet, but they are simple ON/OFF lights, while with fenix and itp you can choose much lower output for complete darkness. (in pitch black middle of night with dark adapted eyes its rather blinding to use a flashlight that is putting out lot of light..)

i agree with phantom more info is needed.

what will you be using it for?
do you want simple on/off or is the multi.mode more important? do you need strobe sos etc blinker modes?
do you want to be able to use it by one hand.

fenix: runtime is great. (pretty much the best available)plenty useful modes and good reputation.

itp: smart user interference to dim and brighten the light.

nitecore: smarter U.I. than itp and can b used one handedly. but havent got strobe.

nightowl66

Newly Enlightened
what will you be using it for?
do you want simple on/off or is the multi.mode more important? do you need strobe sos etc blinker modes?
do you want to be able to use it by one hand.

I will be using it around the house and camping. I live in the country and want the bright capabilities for looking around the property and the dim for when i don't need the very bright.
I want a clicky tailcap switch, don't need strobe, one hand or two really doesn't matter. I dont want to have to switch through different modes to get the brightness I want. I have a twintask that you have to click through the bright to get to the low light and I don't like that.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
check also nitecore d20. it has easy access to high and low.

when light is off: 3 clicks (click-click-click) to minimum
and "click-click-press" jumps right to maximum.

when light is on: press the button and it will ramp up to brightest. release and press again it ramps down.

this is reason why i ordered the d10 (1aa model), simple and easy.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Right now since the L2D is discontinued, it might be a good time to buy one at the low price. If you're in the US, Fenix Store/4sevens will take care of you if the light breaks (they also have a coupon, "CPF8" for 8% off). Tapping the talicap switches modes of the certain group, tightening the head gives you turbo, loosening the head gives you general. General has low-medium-high-sos, Turbo has Turbo-strobe. Twisting the head gives you the first output of the mode you are switching to. Having the head tight before you turn it on gives you turbo, loose gives you low. It's much easier then it sounds.

How much throw do you want?
How much runtime?
Preferred batteries?
Beam pattern?
Size?

:welcome:

popcornpicker

Newly Enlightened
Welcome, it really is hard to recommend something if you aren't more specific.

The guys here will point you in the right direction.

There are a lot of lights that you just program for what you want.

Last edited:

nightowl66

Newly Enlightened
How much throw do you want?
How much runtime?
Preferred batteries?
Beam pattern?
Size?

I have a Streamlite NF-2 and like the throw on that. I know it's incandescent and I am looking at LEDs now.
As far as run time......It will not be on high beam much, most of the time on low.
Prefer AA batteries, but 123's are not ruled out.
Beam pattern? not sure how to answer that because I don't know about differant patterns.
The size of the NF-2 I like. A little bigger would be OK. just so I can slip in my pocket.

I came across the Fenix P3D, which is discontinued and on sale. I like the size of it and the features also. From what I have been reading, the benefits of the cr123 lights over AA is smaller size and is brighter and possibly longer run time? I want to stay under $50.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
From the reviews, I gather that the NF2 is around 4400 lux at 1 meter and 95 lumen out the front. As a comparison, the Fenix L2D-CE(Older non Q5 bin version) has around 120 lumen and 2900-3000 lux at 1 meter. So less throw but more output. The P3D is 3000-3100 lux at 1 meter at 125 lumen out the front. Not much brighert or much more throw for the P3D over the L2D, but the P3D is shorter. The L2D can use the L1D, P2D, LD10, PD10, L1T V2.0, and L2T V2.0 body for 1 AA or 1 CR123 operation. Less output on 1 AA but shorter. Similar output as 2 AA with a single CR123 but shorter and less runtime

Remember that most lights don't have the grip ring so if you want that, that would remove quite a few options.

Dadof6

Enlightened
Spend a little more and find a Ra clicky or Novatac. Easy use, not very expensive on the low end Ra models. Durable as can be.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't want to have to switch through different modes to get the brightness I want.

Get an Eagletac then. Good quality, low cost plenty bright. No clicks for modes, twist tight for high loose for medium. They have both AA models and CR123 models. If you're thinking about using it mostly outdooors you should consider using one with a neutral white emitter.

tabetha

Newly Enlightened
I have many, including P3D, which I think is excellent, beam pattern is most important to me, no point being bright if it is all over the place.
The one I grab most though is my OLIGHT T25 tactical, I like this most as it has MEMORY of last mode used and switches to this when turned on with clicky end switch.
The different modes, 3 brightness sos strobe are selected by twisting the head.
tabetha

nightowl66

Newly Enlightened
I decided on the Fenix P3D. Already ordered it. I went with the P3D because of price, size and the modes of operation. If I decide don't like it, I can always get something else.....................................