Electricity guy fixes meter in the dark

Moonshadow

Enlightened
For reasons best known to themselves, our electricity company decided that they wanted to change our meter. Fair enough, it's their property after all I suppose. So the engineer turned up yesterday. The meter is inside a cupboard under the stairs, and although it was daylight outside it was pretty dark in there.

Figuring that the first thing he was going to do was to shut the power off, I was slightly surprised that he showed no signs of producing a light of any kind. Thinking that here was a situation where one of my lights might come in handy, I offered to lend him one - but no, he said that he was quite happy to work in the dark ! Now I would have thought it quite important when working on electrical stuff to be able to see what you are doing - connecting the right colours of wires and that sort of thing :poof:.

Unbelievable - not only did he turn up for work unprepared, but he even refused the appropriate tool when offered. For someone who works most of the time with the power shut off ( I hope !! :eek:oo: ) I would have thought some sort of a light was essential.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
unbelievable.

and terrifying.

i wouldnt dare to live in such house that is wired eyes wide shut!

hope he knows his stuff and made sure all the connections are safe.

-i probably would of still stood there with flashlight in hand.. liked he or not.. its my house and i stand where i want, doing what i want.. hahahhhh

dilbert

Enlightened
You offered him a flashlight? Batteries are their competition! That's like offering the Coke delivery driver a Pepsi.;)

ackbar

Enlightened
Wow.. I would have told him to leave and have the electric company send another guy. I really don't want him to blow every electronic device in my house cause he wired it the wrong way.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Yes, I did have half a mind to chuck him out.

What I did in the event was to take a photograph of the unit before I let him start - that way I was able to check it over myself afterwards to make sure everything had gone back correctly. Also means I've got before-and-after shots in case of any problems down the road.

The good news is that nothing seems to have gone :poof: and the house hasn't burned down yet . . . but if I stop posting suddenly, you'll know why !!!

IlluminatedOne

Newly Enlightened
Thats madness, strange he wouldnt accept your light lol. glad it turned out okay.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats madness, strange he wouldnt accept your light lol. glad it turned out okay.

In my experience this is a very common reaction of most tradesmen when caught not having the right tool. By refusing yours they can 'save face' by making you think that they didn't need it or else they would own it themselves. This compounded by 'Like this knuckleheads dollar store light is better than squinting' and you have that situation being repeated daily all over the place.

Paul Baldwin

Enlightened
LOL, that sounds like a similiar situation to me at work in the past! :eek: In his defense, in most cases, turning on the hallway light and letting your eyes adjust is perfectly satisfactory.
I've recently purchased an Ultrafire A10 though :candle: Running off a lithium-ion cell and using ceiling bounce certainly improves things! I test and inspect electrical installations btw and that probably explains why you find properties with reversed polarity from time to time?

Paul.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
. . .turning on the hallway light and letting your eyes adjust . . .
If he'd just been changing a fuse you'd probably be right, but he was replacing the meter so all the power was off: lights, microwave, the lot. To be fair, it wasn't pitch black in there, but it was dark enough . . .

Paul Baldwin

Enlightened
sorry, should've included "or open front door", that's normally enough. :)
I'd have taken the torch offered btw, I'm not that daft! Did he decline a cup of T too?

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't let someone like that even touch the twist wire used to keep the bag closed for a loaf of bread. Working on the mains in the dark proves he's an idiot even if he's done it 1,000 times before.

hatethatgiraffe

Newly Enlightened
madness lol

I have a brother in law who is a spark!

Even he aint silly enough to work in the dark!

Glasstream15

Newly Enlightened
OP, changing the meter???

Unplug the old, plug in the new. Eyes open, eyes closed. Lights on, lights off. NBD. Hardest part of the job is carrying the new meter in and the old meter out.

O'Neille

Newly Enlightened
OP, changing the meter???

Unplug the old, plug in the new. Eyes open, eyes closed. Lights on, lights off. NBD. Hardest part of the job is carrying the new meter in and the old meter out.

I thought the hardest part was attaching the little anti-tamper seal.