The Euro-Pro Shark Cordless Sweeper - any good?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I just ordered one of these asinine looking things.
They're made by the same people who make the Euro-Pro Bagless Stick Shark, a vaccume cleaner that supposedly sucks up everything, but chokes on those styrofoam packing turds, houseplant leaves, and coins of US nickel size or larger. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

The Shark Cordless Sweeper supposedly picks up leaves, whole crackers, money, screws, cigarettes, pet fur, and even wet food that would wreck an ordinary vaccume.

So, I guess the question is, did I just waste my money?
Does anyone here have one of these things, and if so, does it work? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You can watch the TV infomercial, or go to sharksweeper.com to see it.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just bought one of these myself. I haven't recieved it yet but will post my results as soon as I have a chance. For me, it will be replacing a Black&Decker versa-pack cordless vacuum.

Kev

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: The Euro-Pro Shark Cordless Sweeper - any good

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

let us know how it works, i'm very interested in getting one myself.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *

Yeah, let us know how you like it or not...I bought the regular corded one, works great on the stairs and truck! Sucks pretty good! Just have to remember to keep it cleaned out...

I've never had good luck with other cordless vacs, like the "Dustbuster" and several hundred varieties of that one. They don't seem to have the power or hold the charge. Another little one that I liked before it "choked" was one little one made by Red Devil...it was a little red one.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
... Another little one that I liked before it "choked" was one little one made by Red Devil...it was a little red one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhere around here I have one of those Red Devil "Dust Devils" or whatever the heck that vaccume is called. Little red thing with a cloth bag - cute as an insect. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
But something's wrong with it. The brush roll doesn't turn and it doesn't suck either. And it stinks when it's turned on, so the belt is probably shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The Bagless Stick Shark is OK, but it chokes on things you wouldn't think it would, like styrofoam packing turds (ghost poop) and houseplant leaves. Sure, I could suck them up with my regular vaccume, but it chews up LEDs and would break if pennies or quarters went up it. That's why I bought a Bagless Stick Shark after seeing it on TV - it sucks up things without breaking them or itself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
And I bought the Shark Cordless Sweeper to pick up things that would stuff up my Bagless Stick Shark, like those styrofoam packing turds and houseplant leaves. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
this_is_nascar said:
Craig, you're staying up late to watch those infomercials again, aren't you.

[/ QUOTE ]

O o, I'm busted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Actually, they play infomercials on Sunday afternoons here, which I can sort of see on my bedroom TV (KSTW-11). And I can HEAR them out here if I crank the volume up. So I don't have to stay up late to watch them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They had the Shark Cordless Sweeper on TV again today, so I went to the website and found where I needed to send my money order. In a few weeks, I ought to have it, and I'll post my "review" of it here in this forum.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

The corded version has a *very* small dirt container, so it can probably pick up a bowling ball when it's empty, but 3 minutes later, gotta turn it off and empty it quick. The powerful motor makes a fair bit of noise too, and gets warm/hot quickly. It's really designed for quick jobs like spilled ashtrays and Christmas tree pine needle stuff.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got mom a very downsized dirt devil apartment vac. It is actually an electric broom with a vac's turning brush. It is on wheels. Nice except for the extremely small dust cup.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

O.K. Guys....just got this thing today. Upon first glance, it is very small, and very light. After assembly, it requires 16 hours of charge....so now I just get to look at it. It runs on a 7.2 volt ni-cad battery, so it may not be extremely powerful. It has no vacuum. It is simply a spinning brush that sweeps material into a small container that is easy to empty. After charging, I will test it out on various materials and flooring to see how it works. Till tomorrow.....

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

The TV infomercial said it was "very light" - 3.6 pounds fully loaded. But as long as doesn't choke on those styrofoam "ghost turds", it ought to work.

I already went to the website and saw it used a 7.2VDC NiCd battery that needs 16-20 hours to come up to full charge before you use it for the first time. At least that much I was ready for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Let us know what you tested it on and how it did. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'll probably get mine within the next few weeks, and I'll do the same. I didn't buy it to *replace* my vacume, but to supplement it. You know, to pick up things that would stop up or even ruin an ordinary Eureka upright vacume cleaner or a Euro-Pro Bagless Stick Shark.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

O.K. Guys...here is what I found.

After completely charging the unit for twenty hours, I ran it in a series of tests. I tested it on hard surfaces and carpet. I found it to work well on hard surfaces with all types of material(small screws, cat food, hair, paper, rubberbands). The corner brush seemed to be a nice feature and worked well right up to the edge of the wall. It did have a problem with styrofoam "ghost turds" though. The clear plastic gaurd on the front of the sweeper is only about one quarter of an inch off the surface of the floor. So anything taller simply gets pushed along. I picked up the front of the sweeper a lttle and it then picked them up just fine. If you wanted to, simply trimming a little plastic off the front gaurd with a dremel tool would probably fix this though. I then ran it on carpet. Sculpted berber and a light crushed pile carpet. It did have trouble with the sculpted berber. It would not clean the cavities in the carpet very well. But considering that this is simply a sweeper, that was to be expected. On regular carpet, it cleaned very well, even sweeping cat litter out of the carpet. It seems to pick up hair fairly well though constant cleaning of the brush is required. As long as it is not a tall shag or a sculpted berber, I think it will work good on most carpets. It also lifts the knap of tha carpet to. It also has a decent run-time for most applications. Although carpet tents to bog down the brush and will probably diminish run time considerably. Since this will probably not be your main "vacuum", this shouldn't be a problem. Since it is a ni-cad, it recommends that you discharge it fully before recharging to maintain peak battery performance. It has a small container for debris. This requires constant emptying. But since it is very easy to do so, This again shouldn't be a problem. This is one of the easiest machines I have ever pushed over a floor. It tends to be easier on hard surfaces than carpet though. It is very easy to steer, Simply turn the handle to the left or right and whala, your headed in that direction.

All in all, it was worth the money. It doesn't compare to its bigger brother, but for those simple cleanup jobs, it aint all bad.

kev

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

[ QUOTE ]
tiktok 22 said:
...It did have a problem with styrofoam "ghost turds" though. The clear plastic gaurd on the front of the sweeper is only about one quarter of an inch off the surface of the floor. So anything taller simply gets pushed along. I picked up the front of the sweeper a lttle and it then picked them up just fine. If you wanted to, simply trimming a little plastic off the front gaurd with a dremel tool would probably fix this though...

[/ QUOTE ]

O o, I'll probably have to buy a Dremel then, or else I'll have to grind the "ghost poop" into smaller pieces with my shoe before letting the Shark pick them up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
At least it doesn't clog up like a vacume. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The carpet I have here has a VERY low nap, and no padding or backing, so the sweeper should work fine on it with very little "bogging" or "lugging" of the sweeper's brush roll.
And probably no "bogging" at all in the front hall, because there's no carpet there. Just bare linoleum.

I saw it pick up cigerette stubs on TV, so does that mean I can just dump the ashtray on the floor instead of carrying it to the toliet and dumping it there? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (Don't worry, I don't plan to just throw ashtrays everywhere knowing the Shark Cordless Sweeper will pick up the mess!) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm glad you are having good results with the Shark Cordless Sweeper. Makes me feel better about buying one of those asinine looking things. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don't really even need the ashtray /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Just throw them right on the floor!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

If you have access to a belt sander, they work really well for removing plastic like this if you don't have a Dremel tool. I may end up removing a little plastic on the front of mine!

Kev

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I don't have (access to) a belt sander either, so I guess I'd better head up to Fred Meyer's and pick me up one of those Dremel tools when my Shark sweeper gets here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I only have a buttholder here because if I throw burning cigerettes on the rug, I might start a fire. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The bare floor is a bit out of range. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast

You can also use a hacksaw blade if you are careful then use a sanding block to finish the edge.

Hate to see you spend the $$ for a dremel if you only need it for this job. But if you do get one, you wont believe how versatile they are. They're great!

kev

K A

Enlightened

If Craig has an Osco or Albertsons in the area he might be able to find a Dremel knockoff there (I forget the name) for Fathers day. This is a whole kit. Has a case, flexshaft, and a few bits to start off with. We have them at my Osco in Kansas and they are retailing for $19.99 and will be on sale for cheaper around Fathers Day.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

No Osco at all here, and I don't think I can get to the Albertsons in my scooter/wheelchair. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

There are three Bartells, two Right-Aids (used to be Pay & Save), two QFCs, two Safeways, and a small Fred Meyer where I can get to them. Places like K-Mart, Wall-Mart, Wallgreens, big Fred Meyers, and some others do exist, but not in the downtown Seattle area. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

They're building a Wallgreens just a few blocks away from here, but I doubt it will be open by the time I get my Shark Sweeper and need to cut it up. :O

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I just got my Euro-Pro Shark Cordless Sweeper; now it's on the charger ("16 to 20 hours") as recommended in the instructions; so I guess I won't know how well it does until tomorrow.

I heard that Airphone thing in the hall go off about an hour ago (indicating somebody was outside downstairs and wanted to be let in), but nobody answered it. I found the box right outside my door when I went to get the paper a few minutes ago, so somebody must have let the mailman in and he left it by my door instead of leaving one of those pink things in my mailbox.

The box is a lot smaller than I expected. And I found the AC charger for it and the lower part of the handle in the Shark's dirt cup instead of in the box where I thought they would be. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif