Review: Ra Clicky Tactical vs Liteflux LF3XT

fairway1

Newly Enlightened
Your review looked well done, but I have one question. Why do you feel the RA EDC-E is of lower quality than the RA Clicky tactical? Build quality is identical. Just asking because at the conclusion of your review you stated: "If you want lower quality and less output..."

Southernlight

Enlightened
Your review looked well done, but I have one question. Why do you feel the RA EDC-E is of lower quality than the RA Clicky tactical? Build quality is identical. Just asking because at the conclusion of your review you stated: "If you want lower quality and less output..."

My understanding is that the Ra EDC-E has less throw but more flood than the Ra EDC-T. Much the same light otherwise.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. The difference according to Ra's website is that the EDC line lacks thermal management, potted electronics, overdischarge protection, reverse polarity protection, and a protecting battery compartment - the general build quality is not lower. I will fix this tomorrow-right now I'm typing on my phone at 1:30.

Southernlight - yes, and the button type and bezel color. But my comment was intended towards edc vs clicky, not executive vs tactical. I will make that tactical too.

Last edited:

zenas

Newly Enlightened
I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. The difference according to Ra's website is that the EDC line lacks thermal management, potted electronics, overdischarge protection, reverse polarity protection, and a protecting battery compartment - the general build quality is not lower. I will fix this tomorrow-right now I'm typing on my phone at 1:30.

That's wrong :) There are NO differences between the EDC and the "normal" Clicky models EXCEPT their output (and the black oxide coating vs. AlTiN in case of the tactical model). Everything else (thermal protection, potted electronics, etc.) is the same for both, EDC and "normal" Clickys.

Anyway: Nice written review with lots of information. I'm looking forward to see your runtime comparisons!

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice review. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure you can submit it to the reviews section unless you were to post it all into a CPF Post, rather than having to link out for it. Hopefully you'll get some official feedback on this.

Good work, and very nice presentation.

m16a

Enlightened
Excellent review ICttL! The LF3XT verse the Ra Clicky is a hotly debated subject as of late, and I think this review will go a long way in showing people the similarities/differences and help people make useful comparisons. I am looking forward to your runtime tests! Keep up the good work. :thumbsup:

oldpal

Enlightened

Where on Ralights.com does it say this? Also, this conflicts with information that I received directly from Ra Lights when I explicitly asked the differences between the EDC and Clickys.

Hugh

m16a

Enlightened
Where on Ralights.com does it say this? Also, this conflicts with information that I received directly from Ra Lights when I explicitly asked the differences between the EDC and Clickys.

Hugh

Hugh, I'd like to refer you to the quote right below this response. It has been explicitly stated that these differences DO NOT exist between the lights. The ONLY difference is the outputs (140/120, 100/85) and levels (23/22). People suspected these things because they were not listed on the site, but someone (either Henry, or Henry through someone) cleared this up. I hope this helps you.

That's wrong :) There are NO differences between the EDC and the "normal" Clicky models EXCEPT their output (and the black oxide coating vs. AlTiN in case of the tactical model). Everything else (thermal protection, potted electronics, etc.) is the same for both, EDC and "normal" Clickys.

Anyway: Nice written review with lots of information. I'm looking forward to see your runtime comparisons!

oldpal

Enlightened
Hugh, I'd like to refer you to the quote right below this response. It has been explicitly stated that these differences DO NOT exist between the lights. The ONLY difference is the outputs (140/120, 100/85) and levels (23/22). People suspected these things because they were not listed on the site, but someone (either Henry, or Henry through someone) cleared this up. I hope this helps you.

Thanks, I understand. I hope others do now as well.

Hugh

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you everybody :)

Thank you for clarifying the EDC vs Clicky differences for me. I have not read as much as I could have about this; my comparisons were drawn solely based on Ra's EDC Tactical product description and Ra's Clicky Tactical product description. I'm sorry for my mistake.

The errors pointed out in this thread have been fixed.

It might be a while before I post runtimes, as I haven't even ordered a lux meter yet. You can be sure I will eventually, but don't hold your breath :faint:

Last edited:

m16a

Enlightened
If you are willing to not have lux readings, the logarithmic nature of the Clicky allows you to run a test using nothing but your peepers. Because it will double blink, then step down a level, it is very obvious that the runtime for that level has been reached. I have done a number of tests this way. Water cooled, next to the comp, watched it for an hour, and looked for the double blink. It is not that hard if you are impatient to do the tests. :D