Need Help /w headlights for baby carriage

bobli17

Newly Enlightened
My girlfriend's sister heard that I'm into flashlights and wanted me to put a flashlight on her baby carriage so she could jog in the evenings. (By the way, I didn't approve of this) She only wanted me to spend less than $20.00, use AA batteries and use an external switch or clickie to turn on the light. I thought it would be cool to have 2 flashlights and purchased 2 Energizer 2aa flashlights on clearance from Target. Here is my question.

Would it be okay to use one external switch/clickie to turn on both flashlights?

Carriagelight.jpg

Doh!Nut

Newly Enlightened
It would work, but the two battery strings would be in parallel so all the batteries must be replaced at the same time otherwise one set would try to "recharge" the other set - not good.

Nick

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ideally, your switch would only make the connection for the ground path. This could be done easily with a switch, and a piece of double sided copper clad board. One lead would be soldered to each side of the copper clad board, and then wired to the switch. Just as in your drawing, both lights could be wired to the same switch terminals without any problems. Keep the leads to the switch short, to minimize the resistance.

bobli17

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply guys. My drawing is wrong. datiLED is right, the switch would only connect the ground path.

smflorkey

Newly Enlightened
It would work, but the two battery strings would be in parallel so all the batteries must be replaced at the same time otherwise one set would try to "recharge" the other set - not good.

One word: diodes.
Or use a double-pole switch so that each flashlight sees only its side of the switch. That way you avoid the cross-feed Nick warned about and avoid the voltage drop diodes would introduce.

Hope that helps,
Steve

bobli17

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm...

I want to make this a simple as possible. I like the double pole switch idea. Any idea where i can get one fast.