Solarforce L2 impressions (Cree R2 5-mode)

adept1

Newly Enlightened
I am amazed at the quality/price ratio on this light.

For $35 including shipping I got the L2 w/ 18650 body & 5-mode R2, holster, 18650 battery, and short body. I didn't even notice it came with a holster when I ordered it, and it's actually a very nice holster!

Pros:
  • Price
  • The machining is excellent on mine, all the color (black) matches, the internals are clean and free of tool marks.
  • Compatibility with Surefire parts
  • Ergonomics
Cons:
  • I wish the beam had a little more spill.
  • I wish the beam tint was a bit less cool.
I will definitely be ordering more Solarforce products in the future.

I am having a small issue though... I can't seem to get the memory function to work reliably. It's supposed to remember the last setting if you click an hold for 2 seconds while turning the light off. I've tried it many times and most of the time it didn't work for me. I'm probably just doing it wrong. Any advice?

Last edited:

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
I havent seen memory offered since getting my first L2 ..

I got my 2nd L2 this week and no memory .

Ive ordered a L2 Body , and will buy one more Mini L2 , but I have not seen Memory as an option for some time .

adept1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the comment. No wonder I can't get it to work!

In that case I guess I feel kinda misled...

http://www.solarforcestore.com/servlet/the-1029/18650-FLASHLIGHT/Detail

The SKU includes "R2M" which is supposed to be the 5-mode R2 with memory. If you look at the R2M LED sold by them as a drop in, it does state that there's a memory function. If I had known there was no memory I would have ordered the single mode one.

Oh well... I'm planning to put an MC-E or P7 in it eventually anyway, and purchased it mainly because it's a high quality, inexpensive P60 host.

I havent seen memory offered since getting my first L2 ..

I got my 2nd L2 this week and no memory .

Ive ordered a L2 Body , and will buy one more Mini L2 , but I have not seen Memory as an option for some time .

LightJaguar

Enlightened
I got the L2 not long ago and it has quickly become one of my favorite flashlights (like just about every other flashlight that I own.
I was a bit disappointed however at the output. The one that I got was claimed to an R2 which I doubted but I bought it anyways.
I was expecting something as bright as my 5 mode Ultrafire C1 but it was dimmer. The single mode ultrafire C1 is even brighter.
On the good side this flashlight has one of the best tints that I have ever seen on a LED flashlight and that includes my Surefire ones. Its a warm tint that brings out the colors much better then all my other LED lights. I have some dessert and Jungle camies left over form my days in the military.
I was comparing my different LED flashlights with them and the solarforce did the best job at bringing out the different colors on the camies.
Also for some reason I thought that the L2 that I got was optimized to run on a 18650 but it appears to be brighter using 2 CR123s.
By the way where did you get your combo from?
Maybe you should post it in the market place under the other "other auction notices".

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my 3rd Solarforce today. :)
Now to wait for my MC-E and Malkoff M60 drop-ins :party:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
. . . click an hold for 2 seconds while turning the light off.
I have a fairly recent L2 and it simply remembers the last mode you used. No need to press and hold when switching off. Click on, bump to change modes, and switch off. That's it - next time you switch on it should be in the same mode you left it.

That's how it works on mine anyway.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the comment. No wonder I can't get it to work!

In that case I guess I feel kinda misled...

http://www.solarforcestore.com/servlet/the-1029/18650-FLASHLIGHT/Detail

The SKU includes "R2M" which is supposed to be the 5-mode R2 with memory. If you look at the R2M LED sold by them as a drop in, it does state that there's a memory function. If I had known there was no memory I would have ordered the single mode one.

Oh well... I'm planning to put an MC-E or P7 in it eventually anyway, and purchased it mainly because it's a high quality, inexpensive P60 host.

Sorry - No mention of memory !

adept1

Newly Enlightened
I see no mention of it either.

True, there's no explicit mention, but the R2M LED is supposed to have memory (look under the LED section), and the product code of what I bought included R2M in the name, hence I thought it was using the R2M LED.

It's a case of confusing product codes...

Anyway it's still a fantastic light for the price!

adept1

Newly Enlightened
I got the L2 not long ago and it has quickly become one of my favorite flashlights (like just about every other flashlight that I own.
I was a bit disappointed however at the output. The one that I got was claimed to an R2 which I doubted but I bought it anyways.
I was expecting something as bright as my 5 mode Ultrafire C1 but it was dimmer. The single mode ultrafire C1 is even brighter.
On the good side this flashlight has one of the best tints that I have ever seen on a LED flashlight and that includes my Surefire ones. Its a warm tint that brings out the colors much better then all my other LED lights. I have some dessert and Jungle camies left over form my days in the military.
I was comparing my different LED flashlights with them and the solarforce did the best job at bringing out the different colors on the camies.
Also for some reason I thought that the L2 that I got was optimized to run on a 18650 but it appears to be brighter using 2 CR123s.
By the way where did you get your combo from?
Maybe you should post it in the market place under the other "other auction notices".

I ordered it from solarforcestore.com. The short body was not part of the combo, but cost an additional $10 on top of the $25 for the combo.

Jimdo

Newly Enlightened
I am a dealer (here in the states) for Solarforce, the L2M 5 mode is indeed (supposed) to be the 5 mode light with the memory feature...
This is not a difficult feature to access by any means, simply turn the light off in whatever mode you want to start in the next time you turn the light on it and (assuming it has been a couple of seconds) it should turn on in the same mode that you turned it off in....
I am assuming that you prolly do NOT have the actual 5 mode LED with the memory feature, simply because it is soo easy to use... That is one of the number one selling points to this light, the user interface is just so simple...
Believe me, as I have sold several hundred of the L2's in multiple configurations. This light, for the money, simply cannot be beat.
Nevertheless, if your having problems with the 'memory' feature of your light, it is prolly because you actually don't have the 'memory' feature on your LED. This can be problematic when ordering from sources oversees.
Just my two cents...

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought three L2 lights from solarforcestore with R2 5-mode lamps. They work with memory no problem. I'm very pleased with all of mine! I also ordered a few 3.7v R2 lamps which are great as well. And amazingly, the L2's are $25 each including complete flashlight, 18650 rechargeable cell, holster, AND shipping! Phenomenal deal for a truly great flashlight.

http://www.solarforcestore.com/servlet/the-18650-FLASHLIGHT/Categories

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a dealer (here in the states) for Solarforce, the L2M 5 mode is indeed (supposed) to be the 5 mode light with the memory feature...
This is not a difficult feature to access by any means, simply turn the light off in whatever mode you want to start in the next time you turn the light on it and (assuming it has been a couple of seconds) it should turn on in the same mode that you turned it off in....
I am assuming that you prolly do NOT have the actual 5 mode LED with the memory feature, simply because it is soo easy to use... That is one of the number one selling points to this light, the user interface is just so simple...
Believe me, as I have sold several hundred of the L2's in multiple configurations. This light, for the money, simply cannot be beat.
Nevertheless, if your having problems with the 'memory' feature of your light, it is prolly because you actually don't have the 'memory' feature on your LED. This can be problematic when ordering from sources oversees.
Just my two cents...

Where is your webstore, Jimdo? I'd like to see what you are offering, as I am considering a Solarforce order.

Jimdo

Newly Enlightened
Currently I do not have a website, unfortunately...
However, I do own / operate a brick and mortar storefront (guns, knives, tactical equipment, accessories, etc.) located in southern Illinois, and I exhibit at many gun and knife shows around the St. Louis, MO. area.
That being said, I do plan on getting a website up and running as soon as possible featuring Solarforce lights, Olights and some new and upcoming brands. When that happens, I will do my best to let the fine folks here on the candlepowerforums, know the web address.
However, if your in the So. IL. area my store address is as follows...
J & J Guns and Knives
509 Mallard Lane
World Shooting and Recreational Complex
Sparta, IL.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received a Solarforce L2 R2M 18650 combo from Solarforcestore earlier this week.

I too thought it wasn't remembering the last state it was in when I turned it off, but I was not waiting long enough between shutting it off and turning it on again (i.e. I was playing with my new toy).

EDIT: I'm not so sure anymore. If I turn the light off and then turn it on within a few minutes, it jumps to the next mode.
If I leave it off for half an hour or so, it comes back on in high mode.

The odd thing is that sometimes it does seem remember what mode it was in :thinking:

Last edited:

NightIntoDay

Newly Enlightened
The Solarforce L2 I just bought from solarforcestore seems to be acting the same way...not sure I mind because I prefer that it comes on the "High" setting. Great light for the price, I think i'm going to buy another one and put a drop-in it.

I'm currently running this light with 2 x RCR123's, I'm thinking about buying a 18650 for better runtimes but wondering if it will be as bright with 1 x 18650?

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently running this light with 2 x RCR123's, I'm thinking about buying a 18650 for better runtimes but wondering if it will be as bright with 1 x 18650?

Solarforce L2 with Solarforce LC-1 R2-M 5-mode 4.2v-8.4v lamp - the output with a single 18650 is the same as with 2*RCR123's, but MUCH longer runtime with the 18650! The 18650 is definitely the way to go with these. 18650's are sweeeeet!!!

NightIntoDay

Newly Enlightened
Solarforce L2 with Solarforce LC-1 R2-M 5-mode 4.2v-8.4v lamp - the output with a single 18650 is the same as with 2*RCR123's, but MUCH longer runtime with the 18650! The 18650 is definitely the way to go with these. 18650's are sweeeeet!!!

Just wondering any test on the runtimes with a 18650? Thanks

adept1

Newly Enlightened
I received a Solarforce L2 R2M 18650 combo from Solarforcestore earlier this week.

I too thought it wasn't remembering the last state it was in when I turned it off, but I was not waiting long enough between shutting it off and turning it on again (i.e. I was playing with my new toy).

EDIT: I'm not so sure anymore. If I turn the light off and then turn it on within a few minutes, it jumps to the next mode.
If I leave it off for half an hour or so, it comes back on in high mode.

The odd thing is that sometimes it does seem remember what mode it was in :thinking:

This is exactly how mine works. If I wait a while, it'll come on again in high. If I don't wait long enough, it'll cycle to the next mode.