Reflow Soldering the MC-E?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi all!
I will be mounting a bare MC-E on a flashlight pill (aurora V6) (no star board) and I need to ask 2 things...

I have 2 files from the Cree site opened at this time and I see the heatsink...but I cannot undersatnd if it is electrically conductive...it isn't a positive contact, is it?

The reason I want to reflow solder it (I have done it before with a SSC P4) is that I need to mount it on a copper spacer to bring to height. Then AA epoxy will mount the spacer to the Aluminum pill.

Any special aboutthe process and setup to take care off?

TNX, kostas

Al Combs

Enlightened
On the first page of XLampMC-E.pdf, the last bullet in the blue Features banner says, "Electrically neutral thermal path". So the slug is not part of the circuit. You don't have to worry about shorting it out like the P7.

hi all!
I will be mounting a bare MC-E on a flashlight pill (aurora V6) (no star board) and I need to ask 2 things...

I have 2 files from the Cree site opened at this time and I see the heatsink...but I cannot undersatnd if it is electrically conductive...it isn't a positive contact, is it?

The reason I want to reflow solder it (I have done it before with a SSC P4) is that I need to mount it on a copper spacer to bring to height. Then AA epoxy will mount the spacer to the Aluminum pill.

TNX, kostas

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi all!

TNX, kostas

I actually usually AA it to the shim and the shim to the sink. I often reflow onto MCPCB's and I found it hard until I got some solder paste. It heats up quite nicely, you will probably need a bit of heat to solder to the copper also.
Wont a 14mm board fit they are about the same thickness as a copper shim and can esily be trimmed.

Dave

BigBoy

Enlightened
Nailbender,
Tell us more about the 14mm board, i.e. where can we purchase it. 20mm stars are a little to big for the application I am working on.
Thanks,
Bob

I actually usually AA it to the shim and the shim to the sink. I often reflow onto MCPCB's and I found it hard until I got some solder paste. It heats up quite nicely, you will probably need a bit of heat to solder to the copper also.
Wont a 14mm board fit they are about the same thickness as a copper shim and can esily be trimmed.

Dave

nailbender

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nailbender,
Tell us more about the 14mm board, i.e. where can we purchase it. 20mm stars are a little to big for the application I am working on.
Thanks,
Bob

I got them at KD & the sandwich shoppe has some super thin ones that size. The ones I have a couple of are about 1mm thick

I have one or two extra if you want I will send you a couple no charge.

PM me if interested, they are made for XRE but fit fine and work great with MC-E.

Dave

BigBoy

Enlightened
nailbender,
Thanks for your generous offer - and Yes I would like one! Sent my address by PM.
Bob

I got them at KD & the sandwich shoppe has some super thin ones that size. The ones I have a couple of are about 1mm thick

I have one or two extra if you want I will send you a couple no charge.

PM me if interested, they are made for XRE but fit fine and work great with MC-E.

Dave