Good "penlight" for a doctor to carry?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Folks,

My wife's birthday is coming up and she needs a new flashlight to carry around the hospital with her. Her previous 2AA maglight having been given up to a sick child during a pediatrics rotation.

Right now I'm leaning towards the baton light. ledmuseum gives it a good review and the price is reasonable. Her flashlights tend not to last too long as they may get lost or left behind in the daily shuffle, so I'd like to keep the cost down if possible.

Are these lights bright enough to check out someone's tonsils? I'm open to other suggestions, but waterproof or resistant is nice because they may sometimes be subjected to fluids that one would want to wash off quickly. Size and brightness are the major consideration since she needs to be able to carry it around in her pocket. So 2AA maglight sized is perfect. It doesn't HAVE to be an LED flashlight either, but thats what I'd like to get her so that I can play with it when she's not using it;) The techtight, 3 battery lights from ccrane would be perfect except that I think they are too long to easily fit in her pocket. What do other folks think about that?

Thanks,
James

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Streamlight Stylus fits the bill! About the size of a #2 pencil. Fits in the pocket real well!

MarcV

Enlightened
The white led model Stylus is longer than a pen because it holds three batteries instead of the customary two batteries.

A white led is good because the color is nearer to natural sunlight, but that model Stylus may need especially deep pockets for in-pocket carry.

The baton light is shorter because it uses "N" style batteries, brighter because it uses 3 leds, and has a wider beam because it uses a diffuser. It would be plenty bright. It doesn't come with a pocket clip, though, so carry might not be convenient.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
The pocket clip on the Stylus is adjustable...fits all of my shirt pockets with no problem.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc-AAA. Small and bright. Use it with a lanyard or a Mag pocket clip.

Hah, I beat darell and Sabby.

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
James, As a midlevel healthcare provider and an avid flashlight nut. I will have to chime in... Throats are something that people, especially kids do not like having examined... (No smart remarks here guys!) I have field tested several different mods by lambda as well as the Arc products... I DO feel that, in general, LED light is better due to its higher color temperature, I do NOT however, feel that one LED is enough light to examine a throat unless you want to have the patient nearly hold the (for example) Arc AAA between thier own teeth while you try to get a look... It is bright but not enough to "get in, and get out" I personally want to take a quick look and get the information that I need quickly and get out of the persons face before the hack and cough on me.

Having said this, I feel that The best light to use on the throat is an Arc LS OR some other homemade luxeon light... It works fantastic for thoats. The only other light that works well that I have tried is the E2.

Now, having said that, I could see that something along the lines of an Opalec new beam or something with multiple LEDs could also work well for this... JMHO

Mike

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
James S,
If you say that the Mini-Mag is the perfect size I'd be inclined to buy her another one and buy an Opalec Retrofit LED kit to pop in it. ( http://www.opalec.com )
I also have a baton light and yes I can recommend it but to be honest since getting the Opalec the baton light is hardly used.
I guess I just like the fully regulated flat out put, which as many have said makes this light fantastic for using your spent batts from other devices.
I just bought my girlfriend an Inova X5 for her birthday with the same fiendish plan of using it when she's not, but it came with a blasted holster and for some odd reason she's taken to wearing the damn thing.
The only chance I get to playing with it is when she's in the bath.
Good Luck.

rycen

Enlightened
How about a PT attitude or for some incans try a UK mini pocket or the UK pen light.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Originally posted by James S:
Hi Folks,

My wife's birthday is coming up and she needs a new flashlight to carry around the hospital with her. Her previous 2AA maglight having been given up to a sick child during a pediatrics rotation.

Thanks,
James
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">James,

I'm not going to suggest anything, since our fellow CPF'ers will certainly do that. I did, however, want to commend your wife for doing what she did. She sounds very special and dedicated to the children she cares for.

Kirk

Enlightened
JamesS,
www.cheaperthandirt.com has Rayovac 2 AAA penlights w/batteries for $.99. You could buy a "Gross" of these things and if you lost one or had to give it to a kid, you wouldn't be out hardly anything. They might not be the brightest in the world, but they might work. Their part number is WX-140.
Kirk

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a PT Attitude would probably do well, or one of the new Stremlight 3N cell lights that brightguy has.

If you want something more exotic, an E1 or an X5T would really hit the spot.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it HAS to be penlight sized, I second the Streamlight 3N Pro Polymer. I have one, and it is brighter than the Opalec newbeam, with a more intense, closer hot spot, and is pen sized (maybe sharpie pen sized!):

str3n.jpg

However, in reading Bushman's comments, I would say a Lambda or dat2zip or elektrolumens or Mr. Bulk or Daniel Ramsey modification would be more appropiate. The brinkmann 2AA, with the rear click tailcap, and intense very white, pure light of the luxeon LED would be better. Also, the Bezel of the light is very small, easier to look into orafaces than with, say the Streamlight 4AA, 7 LED light.

AND, if it is for work, YOU CAN EXPENSE IT!!! AND YOU CAN DEDUCT IT!

Man, ALL your flashlights could be tax deductable!!!

Whooo Hooo!!

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey buddtx I guess I should go ahead and Add this E2e I just got from Nor'east knives to the list of Tax Ded. Items!!

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Greetings everyone, Kogatana (KT) here.

James, I know several ER physicians in major metropolitan hospitals whom have found utility with the Streamlight Stylus 3-AAAA cell LED flashlight. They have traded their plastic, hospital-issue incandescent 2AA light for this slender, aluminum workhorse. Previously, it had been difficult to locate a source for those odd, tiny batteries in local stores. At the physicians' request their employing hospitals now buy them in bulk and issue them.

I recently had lunch with one of those physicians. He asked me about the Inova X5 that he noticed in my coat pocket. He tried it and was amazed at the output but reckoned that he would desire something more svelt and similar in dimension to a large barrel Mont Blanc fountain pen that I also carry. I then displayed a hefty Rotring Series 600 Roller Ball pen with a hex barrel. He said "now you're talkin!" He thought it was a flashlight.

Several months ago, I had casually suggested that Arc Flashlight, LLC, make a LED light powered by 2-AAA cells and and a hex barrel so that it would not roll off a table. I ordinarily do not care for hex bezels on my lights. Those that I tend to carry are larger and that profile would interfere with my ability to carry them comfortably in my trouser pockets for sustained periods. A hex shaped 2-AAA Arc LED light would likely be carried in a shirt or lab coat pocket without contributing any noticeable discomfort. Peter Gransee, are you reading this?
smile.gif

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like Roy said... Streamlight Stylus. It's the size of a pencil, is bright and lasts a looooong time. This light will not disappoint.

Slick sez, check it out..
grin.gif

Flotsam

Newly Enlightened
I currently use two lights at work - a Welch Allyn Halogen Penlight for routine checks, and a UK 2L for anything that needs a brighter light (typically surgical procedures, wound inspections). Both are more than adequate, and allow me to pick the right light for the job.

Sam

bwcaw

Enlightened
I am not a doctor (too stupid), but I do like the Streamlight Stylus. I like it so much that it has taken the place of my Arc SLS in my EDC because it is so small and bright, and has a really long run time. While I still LOVE my Arc SLS, it is just too big for my pocket to carry every day, and the Stylus is SOOOOO handy with the tailcap switch, and the pocket clip. I would definately
suggest the Stylus untill somethin better comes along.

By the way, when I first purchased my stylus, I bought one for my dad to give him for Christmas. He is an electronic technician, and fixes Mobile, and portable radios for police, fire, and other private companies, and now about two years after I got him the stylus, every technician in the shop carries one everyday. It is an excellent light, maybie not as bright as others, but it is very handy.