I'm torn... ConneXion X2 or D10-R2... your thoughts?

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surprisingly, with as many lights as I have (a bunch of them, all but one being CR123/RCR123,17500,18650) I don't have even ONE AA flashlight! :faint:

I guess it's about time I got with it and added a AA. I've narrowed it down to the ConneXion X2 and the D10-R2. It's important to me to have a relatively low low... and be able to run 14500 rechargeables, so that rules out a bunch of otherwise nice AA lights. I think the low on the ConneXion will be low enough for me and I'm sure the D10 will go low enough. I really don't NEED to have the HOTTEST AA light on the planet (nor the longest thrower); I much prefer nice interface, output versatility, nice beam, good useable spill/flood, a reasonably bright high and a fairly low low.

The reason I've been able to resist the AA's for so loong is the magnificence of the LF3XT which I have, a light which meets my needs wonderfully. I love RCR123's and longer Li-Ions, thus I really have no NEED for any more flashlights nor cell-types, but for some crazy reason, I just can't resist climbing on board the AA train... how can I not? :thinking: I've just got to experience what all the AA buzz is about.

The UI on the D10 is very similar to that of my LF3XT (except for the "exorcist" head). So I know I'll like that! And the simplicity of three levels on the ConneXion appeals to me as well.

I'll admit that I will probably wind up getting them both :shrug:, but from those of you who HAVE both, what's your comparative analysis on these two fiercely competitive lights? :anyone: :popcorn:

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
(Why Fenix and Eaglecore can't provide low lows and ability to run rechargeables is beyond me!)

Huh?

They both run just fine on rechargable cells. In fact all AA lights run much better on rechargeables vs alkaline.

That being said, I think you'd like the D10. Long ago I swore off any light that had a mode memory which couldn't be overridden, which the D10 can. Other multi-mode lights with memory cannot be switched to a set mode without looking at them, which means you have to remember the last mode uses, and cycle through them to get to the desired mode.

A quick double tap will always set the D10 in low, or a tap-hold to high.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Huh? They both run just fine on rechargable cells. In fact all AA lights run much better on rechargeables vs alkaline.

Oops, I guess I'm totally mistaken! I recall reading about Fenix lights that aren't Li-Ion 14500 compatible and they don't have cery low lows... but I guess I'm wrong about that! I will change my initial post! Thanks for the correction.

A quick double tap will always set the D10 in low, or a tap-hold to high.

That's what I love about the LF3XT! And a constant press gives you ramp! Awesome UI.

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi D, Definitely the D10 over the ConneXion. I think there are some issues with the ConneXion that most people won't like once they have it in hand - primary issue I found is the switch is hard to press. The D10 is an excellent light though and it's hard to beat unless you want to try the AA version of the Liteflux - the LF5XT :D - it is a bit longer than the D10 though. Also the Nitecore Defender Infinity with it's forward clicky is another Nitecore favorite in AA (takes 14500's too).

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would like to muddle the water a bit more, have you consider NDI, DHart? ;)

One advantage of NDI over D10 is that you can activate low before you switch on, for D10, if your last setting is on Hi, you got to switch on on Hi, then double tap for instant low. You might be momentarily blinded because of your night vision, not sure how often this will happen in your usage, but just my 2¢.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The saving grace of the D10/D20/EX10 memory IMO is that you can easily press the light against your leg, and a quick double tap guarantees the light is in low prior to use.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried the quick triple click from off to get instant low and I guess it takes a bit of practice as I can get it to instant low 1 out of 5 tries.

2 click/hold from off, for instant high seems to work 90% of the time for me. All in all it's a cool UI.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi DHart...... I'm going to recommend the D10. I love the size and feel of it in the hand. The beam is no where near as nice as our LF3XT, but I guess you can't have everything in every light. (like the LF3XT :laughing:) I consider it a simple one mode light w/ shortcuts to Hi & Lo. Li-Ion compatibility is nice also. That's what I use in mine.

My bro has a ConneXion. The beam may be nicer, but I don't like the switch, (it's too recessed and hard to activate) or the memory function. It remembers the last output setting and that actually confuses things. You don't know where it's going to turn On at, unless you never change it! And if you don't ever use the other levels, they're not doing you any good. The first thing I did when I got my LF3XT was turn the memory Off. :thumbsup:

I have an NDI also. Many seem to like it. I don't care for it. It has been promoted tho, from a drawer light, to a glovebox light for backup duty only. :whistle:

That's my take.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I consider it a simple one mode light w/ shortcuts to Hi & Lo. Li-Ion compatibility is nice also.

Like the LF3XT, if you can get quick to dead low, quick to hot high, and a ramp for dialing in-between with just a press/hold.... what more do you need from a light? Well... an incredible beam is reaaally nice to have too! ;) Thus, my LF3XT will not likely be displaced very easily.

I'm looking forward to some new toyz, though! (Trying like CRAZY to help revive this economy! We all need to buy some more flashlights, folks!)

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like the LF3XT, if you can get quick to dead low, quick to hot high, and a ramp for dialing in-between with just a press/hold.... what more do you need from a light? Well... an incredible beam is reaaally nice to have too! ;) Thus, my LF3XT will not likely be displaced very easily.

Then D10 is your choice.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah... the D10 is a given... yet the ConneXion X2 has a powerful draw as well... hmmmmmm. As many of us ultimately find ourselves doing when we're conflicted thusly, I may just have to get both.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah... the D10 is a given... yet the ConneXion X2 has a powerful draw as well... hmmmmmm. As many of us ultimately find ourselves doing when we're conflicted thusly, I may just have to get both.

:ohgeez: That should be the decision in the first place. :whoopin:

;)

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll throw some confusion into the mix. I have a D10 and like it very much. It is nice to be able to dial in just the right amount of brightness for the task. I like the feel of the light in hand as well. The D10 is actually pretty efficient as well. I was suprised that a battery that would not even light a Peak Pacific HP still provided usable light in the D10 for over an hour.

On the other hand, I have an Incendio which is the Cr123 version of the Connexion. I also like being able to quickly switch to a dedicated light level and know what kind of burn time I getting. With the D10 it is a guess game. The memory mode is nice to have so you can know what level the light will come on at. I like the glow in the dark switch which makes it easy to find in pitch dark. Both nice lights.

Last edited:

oldpal

Enlightened
I'd go for the D10. With the easy to use UI, it is a great light. I have the GD+ and like the beam very much, but they are probably hard to find now. Get one. It just feels good to hold it.

Hugh

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK... in the tradition of fine flashaholics :candle: determined to help raise the level of our economy and keep dollars circulating :crackup:... I ordered both of them! :party: Since I already have far more lights than I "NEED", there's little rational sense in limiting myself to just one or the other. :huh: Next week will be :party: :party:

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
My "go to" light at my desk is the ConneXion. I like the look of the GITC and the AA, rechargable, and 14500 power.
I don't have a D-10 R2...yet:crazy: