Your thoughts on Best Throwing Megalight

mayo

Newly Enlightened
Would like your opinion on the best throwing Megalight. I know some of these are not out and not many of you would not be able to buy and compare them all. I also know that the multidie leds don't lend themselves to good throw. Nevertheless the Megalights(not sure if that's the correct term) are appealing. Would like to keep this thread just about throw. Here's a list, I'm sure it's not complete, please add to it.

Jetbeam M1X
EagleTac's M2 and M2X
Neofab Legion II
Fenix TK40
Olight M30 Triton
DBS MCE
Sunlite 16w
Tablo ACE
Ultrafire WF-1300L
LumaPower MRV Ultra
LumaPower MVP and MVP P7

:popcorn:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Coleman 530 lumen LED spotlight
Dorcy 6 watt K2 Luxeon 4C LED spotlight
Stanley 5W rechargeable LED spotlight

All have a throw of around 300 yards. The Stanley 5W is an amazing light and I highly recommend it.

CPF Member Saabluster's DEFT (Deep Extended Field Thrower) is the longest throwing LED flashlight ever created and will out throw any production super thrower by a large margin.

I believe the Dereelight DBS R2 will have more throw than the MC-E, and the Tiablo A10 and A9 with aspheric head upgrade will both out throw the ACE. The Sunlight Eagle 8W is a slightly better thrower than the 16W.

In terms of an LED light with extreme output, I recommend the Coleman 530 lumen rechargeable LED spotlight. It utilizes 3 CREE XR-E emitters (around 3 watts each I believe) and puts out an unbelievable amount of light. It throws incredibly well due to the fact that each emitter is deep down in its own separate reflector.

Good idea for a thread!:)

Last edited:

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Hmmmmmmmm

This is pretty difficult to know which one has the best throw without comparing them all side by side. And others have way more lumen than another.

Ok, you guys know me, I'll comment on the Sunlite 16w for a minute. I've posted beamshots of it in my review thread. It does not have as intense a hotspot as its little brother, the Eagle 8w. Yet it illuminates about 10 times the area. Sunlite is currently working on improving the electrical control part of the light so that it delivers over 4a to the quad emitters(currently at 2.8). That will boost the lumens greatly. So it's hard to say.

If I had to rank the top 5 in that list, I would do it this way:

1) M2X (all we have is 30 meter shots at a white target)
2) M1-X and 16w
3) Legion II (shear brightness may get this one closer to #1)
4) TK40 (all of you who have one...let's see some good beamshots!! Make this a contender...do some comparisons against the M1-X if you have it...)

I'll be posting some pictures of the 8w and 16w at 100 meters...because that seems to be a popular distance for comparison.

It's hard to say, but that would be my guess based on what info we currently have.....However, I could be totally off my rocker.

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
I think the Original Poster is talking about these new high power/high output lights....particularly the ones containing the Cree MC-E, Seoul P7, or any other multi-chip emitter.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That's a laser pointer, not a megalight. It isn't even very bright to begin with...

You can get it with the Cree MC-E.

I'm not sure what the OP's meaning of "Megalight" is. If it means a larger light, there are handheld HIDs much larger then these LED light, same goes for output and throw.

From what I see, the Sunlight 16w might be one of the better throwers out of the quad die LED lights.

StarHalo

Flashaholic