Looking for 2 different lights.

Painkiller1009

Newly Enlightened
Nice site here guys/gals. Happy to have stumbled across it.

I'm am looking for two lights. One for throw and one for flood.

The flood light I am looking at is a dx one with a 18650 battery.

The throw light I need some help with.
Most important is size. I want the smallest light possible
Price no more than $25.
Run time doesn't matter to me.
Battery options are 1xcr123a or 1x14500. Maybe open to more but size is big factor.

Painkiller1009

Newly Enlightened
The flood light I am looking at is the MTE SSC P7 C-Bin 900-Lumen 2-Mode LED Flashlight.

I put a link in the first post but for some reason it didn't show up.

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Painkiller1009.

Links to DX are not encouraged, and they have a way of disappearing...

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Links to DX are not encouraged, and they have a way of disappearing...
Because they somehow count as advertising while links to other places aren't. I'm still confused about that. The safest bet seems to be to post the SKU number. Doesn't affect me too much.

What are you going to use the light for? Also remember that those numbers are not what you actually get. The light is probably 400-500 lumen out the front.

It should be pretty obvious that you get more throw with a larger and/or deeper reflector, so if you want small, you won't get much throw.

:welcome:

Painkiller1009

Newly Enlightened
Well I have had a 3w mag 2xaa for a long time now. Have used it around the house for everything.

I just upgraded to a ROMISEN RC-P3 sku 1780 Really like this light it blows my mag out of the water.
I really don't need modes on either light. Only high and mid/low if any at all.

Now I want some higher powered lithium battery lights.
The one for flood will be my night fishing light on my boat and other tasks.
I want a nice flood with a good hotspot in the middle.
MTE SSC P7 C-Bin sku 12623
Romisen RC-T6 6*Cree Q4-WC 3-Mode

The one for throw will be more of a edc, small with a nice tight beam.
Wanting to impress my non flashaholic friends with it.
Have been looking at the Q5 led torch's.
Here is what I have been eye balling.
UltraFire A10 HA-III Cree Q5-WC sku 19187
TrustFire TR-803 sku 13096
UltraFire C3 sku 1993 (looks like it doesnt come with holster now) not Q5

Any help on picking out some lights?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Painkiller1009 and welcome to CPF,
Here is a link to a very well done review posted recently by CPF member selfbuilt, comparing many of the current 1xAA pocket lights:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/224932

Yes, they are all more expensive than $25, but rather than spending $25 each on 2 lesser quality lights, I'd recommend you simply spend $50 and get one very nice pocket light that you will be happy to carry every day for many years to come.

Some of the lights (Fenix and Nitecore), if bought from 4sevens.com will come with a dealer backed lifetime warranty!

Which of those lights would I recommend? I'm seriously considering the Nitecore D10. It's not the brightest of the group, but I'm a fan of having both a very bright high level AND a very dim low level.... and the D10 does that quite nicely. It also has a nice smooth bezel, so it won't eat a hole in your pocket (unlike the Liteflux LF5XT which I really like except for that darn sharp bezel).

The brightest of the bunch is probably the EagleTac P10A, but for my needs it's a little too large..... but it might be just what you are looking for.

Here is another good flashlight review site:
http://www.light-reviews.com/

Of course you can find bright lights at DX for less money, and some folks on CPF have gotten fine lights that way, but from what I've read over and over again and again, it seems to be more hit or miss as to whether the light you get will work reliably for any length of time...... and if there is a problem it can take quite a while to resolve.... if at all.

So, I'd recommend you spend some time reading here on CPF, and pretty soon you will begin to see which light is going to work for you. And when you finally decide on a light..... get it from a respected dealer with a good reputation for customer service.

By the way, we are beginning to see more Cree LED lights appear at local stores like Target, Walmart, and Home Depot in the $25 range, so keep reading and you might find exactly what you are looking for. Good luck.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice site here guys/gals. Happy to have stumbled across it.

I'm am looking for two lights. One for throw and one for flood.

The flood light I am looking at is a dx one with a 18650 battery.

The throw light I need some help with.
Most important is size. I want the smallest light possible
Price no more than $25.
Run time doesn't matter to me.
Battery options are 1xcr123a or 1x14500. Maybe open to more but size is big factor.

The Lumapower Lm33 is a nice little light for $25.00 check it out it's about the best quality light I've found for $25, other than that save your money and get a Fenix. Here is a link to the LM33
http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumapower-lm303.html

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

For a small thrower i would suggest an Olight T10 2008 edition. It's a good quality small EDC light that is well regulated using rechargeables or CR123a primarys. It does cost more than $25 but it's well worth it.

Painkiller1009

Newly Enlightened
Derek dean thanks for the reply.
I'm willing to take my chances with dx. Have ordered from them before with no problems. As for the EagleTac P10A it looks nice but runs off of AA batteries. I'm looking for more power with the lithium's.

jhc37013 the light you linked me is just a step up from my ROMISEN RC-P3, but does run off more powerful batteries

For the flood light I'm pretty much sold on the MTE P7.
The smaller throw light is still up in the air.
Although leaning toward the UltraFire A10 HA-III Cree Q5-WC sku 19187

Gunner12

Flashaholic
AA lights can be pretty bright too, you don't need Lithium batteries to get over 100 lumen. I've seen single AA lights hit over 100 lumen out the front.

As I said before in my previous post, a smaller light won't have much throw due to the smaller reflector. Lumen is not throw. A 10 lumen light can out throw a 1000 lumen one. How much throw do you need?

Painkiller1009

Newly Enlightened
I'm not asking whats the best throw light out there. I'm asking what is a good small flashlight with alot of throw.
It's not that I need lithium batteries, its just what I'm looking for now. As I said I already have two different lights that take 2xaa.
What do I need throw wise? A nice little lithium light with good throw for messing around at night on my deck with friends.

I see there is new p7 lights out on dx now that are Digitally Regulated.
If you had to pick between sku 22567 or sku 12623 which one would it be?
For the small light I have it narrowed down to sku 19187 or sku 13096.

Any suggestions on this?

Painkiller1009

Newly Enlightened
Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger on these two here.

MTE SF-15 SSC P7-D-SXO 4-Mode Memory 900-Lumen LED sku 22567

UltraFire A10 HA-III Cree Q5-WC HA-III 220-Lumen LED sku 19187

Painkiller1009

Newly Enlightened
Well part of my order came in.
They shipped it in two different orders as the mte was out of stock for a few days.
Today the UltraFire A10 and some other goodies came in.
Very nice small light with LOTS of light. Kills my rc-p3 romisen. Although I am using 14500 batteries so not really comparable.
They batteries 14500 batteries I received came with a charge so I popped one in and wow. Very impressed with this little guy. No cons as of now.
Still waiting on my charger to come with the other part of my order.
Very nice tail clicky with gitd tail cap. My son really like that part.

In all I'm pleased with my decision to get this little light.

Painkiller1009

Newly Enlightened
Here is a crappy phone pic of the two for reference.

0422092013-1.jpg

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
im a bit suprised that the romisen lost. but i have the ultrafire a1 and i was also suprised by it when i got it. it was my tiny edc pocekt light for month before i got into more .umm. expensive ones. now its my glovebox light so it does get used alot still.

hit and miss with dx lights i suppose. so far, mine have been ok. -just dont like the wait that comes with them.. you got the A10 fast then if you just ordered it last week.

its been normally 3 to 6 weeks wait. and i keep forgetting what i have ordered by the time they arrive! hah.

hope you are happy with them and dont need anymore like i did. it is addicting this flashlight thing.

i just was asked to say what i want as a xmas present and thought about asking for flashlight to replace my old incans.. so i got tk11.. and then some cheap dx lights and then some more and then some better ones and more.. and some more *sigh* never ending cycle.

Painkiller1009

Newly Enlightened
Seems like the romisen line has older led technology. But still a good light.

Shipping was fast for dx. I ordered on the 12th and received (part of) my order on the 22nd. 10 days from china isn't bad.
Hopfully the other part of my order will be here by the end of the week, so I can charge my batteries and play with my new p7 mte light.