Red LED Flashlights

Old Hawk

Newly Enlightened
Thought I posted this but can't find it. Apologies if it comes up twice.

Some friends are wanting red LED flashlights to experiment with the healing effects of red LED light. Could be anything from a minimag modification to a full size flashlight but ought to be fairly bright.

Maybe such already exists or someone here has done it?

Thanks,

OH

dexter49

Newly Enlightened
Thought I posted this but can't find it. Apologies if it comes up twice.

Some friends are wanting red LED flashlights to experiment with the healing effects of red LED light. Could be anything from a minimag modification to a full size flashlight but ought to be fairly bright.

Maybe such already exists or someone here has done it?

Thanks,

OH

I have purchased a Nite Ize Red LED upgrade for a 2AA Maglite from a local sporting goods store (****s Sporting Goods). They also had white and green. Simply unplug the incandescent bulb and plug in the LED module, then use the new reflector provided.

The Nite Ize web site now shows only white and green, so it might not be produced anymore.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Can't think of really bright red ones for reasonable prices. The NiteIze dropin that dexter mentioned would probably be the cheapest way to go. The Photon Proton Pro has a red LED that's fairly bright, at least for walking around, but it will cost about $50. It runs on 1 AA.

Geoff

Moonshadow

Enlightened
I've got one MiniMag with the NiteIze drop-in and another with a Luxeon Star drop-in which is about twice as bright, but a little more fragile. Both had some artifacts which were soon sorted out with a bit of scotch tape to give a good flood. Just wish they did a 660nm version . . . :sigh:

These are both great for close work, but not as useful outdoors. Looking for something with a bit of throw I tried to get a red Surefire L1 recently, but I don't think they are made anymore. :mecry:

Mdinana

Enlightened
Huh???

OK, so I google'd, and only found 2 references in the first 5 or so pages that didn't look like some sort of scam. Do you have more info on this?

It appears that most of the work is more in the IR spectrum, or close to it - one article mentioned 670nm for the eyes. From what I can tell on the by searching CPF, it looks like the red LEDs are in the 620-645nm lengths...

I don't think your friends will do much with "normal" red LEDs. They might have to search around a bit to get the right wavelengths.

*not responsible for any injuries they give themselves*

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire L1 comes in a red LED configuration. I have the first generation, which on high is still not very powerful, the latest generation should be more powerful. You can also get red filters from surefire (different ones depending on the size of your flashlight, 1", 1.25", and an even bigger one).

Disadvantage of the filters is that you lose a lot of power since LEDs have relatively less red intensity in their light spectra.

On the other hand, you can start with a really powerful LED so that plus the filter may give you the intensity you need.

Old Hawk

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for the info and comments. You make a newbie feel right at home.

Actually the WF501B might be just what they are looking for and I'm going to get one myself. There is a very interesting thread on this on

http://thisbluemarble.com/index.php

and several people report amazing results just using the Radio Shack 276-086.

My friends wanted me to put that LED into a flashlight for them but why bother when this is ready to go and so cheap. They are already working with a commercial 120 VAC unit but they want something more portable and useful off line.

For those of you who are interested in the healing stuff here is a link to some scientific info.

http://www.photobiology.info/Hamblin.html

Somebody already ordered one of these, I'll keep watching here for a report.

OH

Light Sabre

Enlightened
Search for "astronomy flashlight" on the Internet. Amateur astronomers use red flashlights at night so that they can read their star chars etc. when viewing the stars to avoid interfering with their night vision. You will find more choices for a red flashlight that way. I have both a red filter (using a white LED) and the NiteIze red LED dropin for AA minimags. The NiteIze one is definately a lot brighter. I found my NiteIze red LED at ****'s Sporting Goods on clearance a few months ago. They only had 4 left, so I bought them all. I have at least 8 AA minimags, so I have half of them covered.

radu1976

Enlightened
The page you linked says it can use 2 CR123 or 2 RCR123

I have that DX cheap light.
It also takes 17670 without pb....more than 2hrs of runtime. Could be 3-4 , I stopped the runtime after 2.5hrs

Though, the red module is not working anymore, dunno why, tried it in another host and it's not working. It had those pb from the beginning :thinking:
The other two modules - green and blue - do not seem to have the same issues...

Old Hawk

Newly Enlightened
Well my friends ordered 10 of the WF501B's of which one is mine.:kiss:

I don't know if these will come with batteries or not. Anyone know?

I'm sure the next issue will be rechargable batteries and smart chargers. I know little about these and will appreciate your continued good advice.

I see that there is a rechargable version of the CR123A and a single unit battery the 18650. I read in some other places that sometimes (not always, seems to be a matter of tolerances) it takes some doing to get the 18650 into this flashlight.

Any and all info and suggestions as to best brands and sources will be much appreciated.

OH

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wouldn't want to express any opinion on healing possibilities, but PEAK LED SOLUTIONS has a VERY BRIGHT red light designed to illuminate veins for easier insertion of medical IV's.