What weapon light are you using on your AR15?

da.gee

Enlightened
Hello,

Don't know much about weapon lights and have had a few questions lately from people regarding what would make a good weapon light for their AR15. I know Surefire has some options and there is a semi-standard rail set up (picatinny) but beyond that not much knowledge. My usual answer to people when asked about lights is get a P60 host and a Malkoff drop-in but not sure if that applies here. What's your setup and what might you suggest as options? This is not for a LEO but for a couple gun enthusiasts I know.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Such a broad topic where do I start. :thinking:

I'm using a TRL-1 on a short AR just because the price was right. A rifle is a rifle so anything that would work on the AR-15 would work an just about any rifle with a picatinny rail. The only thing worth noting is that the 16" AR's sometimes have limited rail space depending on what else is attached up there. I've also got a X200 and a M900A on .308, Insight M3X on a different AR which prior to that had a M6X and a Scoutlight on a another .308. As long as you select a light that's reliable it really comes down to what type of beam, what type of activation switch and what length of light you prefer. I'm not personally a big P60 host fan since I generally prefer the lights that are either shorter of smaller in diameter but I can't discount the performance or flexibility of such a system.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is impossible to provide an informed recommendation without a clear description of end user requirements, applications, and so forth. Merely stating that the AR-15 weaponlight is for "gun enthusiasts" does not provide useful information.

I can give you some sample requirements:

- Must be reliable.
- As simple of a user interface as possible for the feature set required.
- Single mode operation preferred (i.e., just maximum light). If multimode (e.g., Low, High, Strobe), maximum light must be available at the touch of a switch (i.e., instantly accessible).
- Must allow for one-handed weapon operation, i.e., the light must have a constant-on capability.
- Operating the light doesn't change the way I carry, hold, and mount the rifle.
- Absolute minimum light output of the original SureFire 6P, preferably a lot more. I have zero reservations in using 200+ lumens lamps for indoor or outdoor work.
- Beam pattern balances throw and flood. IMO, the SureFire SRTH and KT4 TurboHeads have an excellent beam pattern -- bright hot spot and huge spill.
- Minimum 30 minute run time. Ability to use 123A primaries or Li-ions (16340 or 17670; 18650 optional).

Envisioned application is urban personal defense -- indoor and outdoor. Being urban, engagement ranges are probably within 50 yds, and most likely closer.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest the use of primaries only, as most rechargables have a protection circuit that can be damaged from recoil.

There are a lot of options, but as Justin Case has said more info would help.

I personally have a lot of different weaponlights...Scoutlights, M111, M952, M962, M972, M982, X200, Streamlight TLR-2.

How much do you want to spend?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest the use of primaries only, as most rechargables have a protection circuit that can be damaged from recoil.
And this is why user requirements are needed. If rechargeables are spec'ed out, then a VFG light like the M900A might be strongly dictated. Or perhaps a light with the capability of running with a single non-protected Li-ion, such as a Malkoff M30 drop-in used in a weaponlight that uses standard P60-compatible lamps.

AKDoug

Newly Enlightened
I'm to cheap to buy a weapon light. I use an SF 6P with a forward clickie, an led drop-in and a one inch scope ring. Works great!

da.gee

Enlightened
First, I apologize for not Searching and for semi-vague question. A question came up today with an in-law and I should have thought it through before causually posting. Shame on me.

Purpose of light would be for 1) home defense 2) possible recreational shooting 3) showing off your AR15. Not SWAT team. Not hunting AFAIK (is that legal?). Primaries would be best for these folks so no hassles of non-standard, rechargeable batts.

May or may not be willing to shell out big bucks for a "premium" solution. I don't think $500 is out of the question but bang for the buck is definitely in the equation. What do you need to spend to get reliable, effective performance given sporadic usage?

I'm sure there are a range of solutions but my own knowledge is limited. Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do they have any training in coordinating long gun handling with flashlight usage? Do they understand that pointing a weaponlight at something also points the gun at that same thing? This could be a problem in terms of Jeff Cooper's Rule 2 (Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy).So you had better know what you are doing if you are going to use a weaponlight to ID a target as shoot or don't-shoot.

I'm not quite clear on the recreational applications of a weaponlight.

Last edited:

da.gee

Enlightened
If you don't use an AR15 in your job, I'd consider it recreational.

In terms of self defense, I would think you would ID your target weaponlight or no weaponlight before you pull the trigger.

Regardless, I was most interested in finding out what kind of setups people had to get an idea of the options available, price ranges, standards (if any), manufacturers, plusses/minuses, etc. Not interested in starting a training debate.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
A very very early M951C I got off of Ebay that was listed by misspelling Surefire and advertizing it as being as bright as a Maglite but that the batteries were now dead!
The entire light was in absolute pristine condition. Had to of been kept in a safe.

I virtually stole it for $84 shipped and it had a SW02 on it that I sold here for $70. :crackup:

Now it wears a Z48 that I had put back and an M60 lives inside running on primary cells. It's solid, reliable, and good looking. I just had to open up the area where the M60 sits a little bit with a Dremel. Still looks stock from the outside. :)

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd start with a standard SureFire 6P, change the stock tailcap to a Z49 clicky for easy constant-on capability, and replace the P60 with a Malkoff M60.

I'd mount the light as far forward as possible, within the constraints of ease of use. There are many ways to mount the 1" diameter body of a 6P to an AR-15. I personally would get a SureFire M14 (under)barrel mount and a 1" Weaver ring to hold the light.

You can also find mounts that attach to the front sight tower or short rails that attach to the handguards. Then you just clamp on a Weaver ring.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd start with a standard SureFire 6P, change the stock tailcap to a Z49 clicky for easy constant-on capability, and replace the P60 with a Malkoff M60.

I'd mount the light as far forward as possible, within the constraints of ease of use. There are many ways to mount the 1" diameter body of a 6P to an AR-15. I personally would get a SureFire M14 (under)barrel mount and a 1" Weaver ring to hold the light.

Would that work with LaRue free floating handguard?

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think mounting to a free floated barrel defeats (at least a little) the purpose of a free floated barrel. Figure out a way to mount the light to your free floating hand guard and your accuracy won't suffer. You can get a rock solid setup for your AR15 for as little as $30 and as much as $3000. I like a simple 6PLED with a clicky switch, hard mounted to a barrel and off to the side for supporting-hand-side thumb activation.

Last edited:

da.gee

Enlightened
I personally like the simple 6P solution as it would allow for a Malkoff drop-in and also can be used off the gun. It does seem a bit heavy though. Something you would certainly want to practice with before it becomes necessary. With the M14 undermount that is a fairly reasonable solution. Checking some prices on Surefire offerings and they are substantial. Some brands I've not heard of are under $200 (ATN?). I'd feel bad leaving a $500 light unused most of the time.

Thanks for your suggestions so far.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I had had the duckets, I'd get one of SF's newer LED weaponlights. As far as cool factor (i.e. "showing off my AR15), I'd go for the M9XX series. But, in al reality, a scoutlight or a 6P with a tape switch would work just as good. My first weaponlight was a G2 with a streamlight mount for the 870, and a GG&G 1" weaponlight mount. Tehn i got my 918FA followed by a scout light. But, then again, i my weapon was forrecreational use, i wouldn't put a $200-$500 light on it either.

da.gee

Enlightened
Thanks much for the advice. The DealExtreme solution is killer. I would really have to love my AR15 to put a $500+ light on it but I'm sure some do. I reward y'all with a couple images. These are from my Dad's gun collection.

First a classic AR15,

ar15.jpg

How about an old school AR180?

ar180.jpg

Dad has been collecting for many many years and has some great guns. He tells me ammo prices are outrageous these days and also is much harder to get. I know he's got a ton stashed somewhere. :naughty:

I'm heading to his house in case of social upheaval. He's well armed!

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I have the shortened version of the stock in the first pic on my M4. I really like it.

The treadmill looks a little familiar too...................:D

da.gee

Enlightened
I should get my butt on that treadmill instead of munching my chocolate Easter bunny.