Happy Memorial Day, and Help with Surefire Problem

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
I hope everyone is having a good Memorial Day. Didn't know if anyone would be on the forums today or not. The wife is at work, so I'm doing chores.

I just got a G2 in the mail last Friday. I used it Saturday night for about 15 minutes camping just to show my brother-in-law. The rest of the trip I used my MagAA/Opalec (excellent for camping).

The G2 put out a more useable beam than the rechargeable 500,000cp spot my brother-in-law brought with him! The spot would of course throw a little more, but the G2 held it's own. The G2 lit up the trees better around the 50-60 foot mark. The spotlight simply fizzled out a little farther away. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That was the good news. Last night I went to use the G2 to show my wife. I turned it on pressing the tail switch and it worked for me, then I was about to show my wife, pressed the tail switch and nothing happened. As if the bulb blew. The light will now not work, whether pressing the button or screwing the back in to turn it on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Is this a normal occurence after about 18 (conservative) minutes of use? Can the Surefire bulb blow like that? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

The bad thing is I had 14 coworkers go in on an order with me on these G2 lights. The lights should be in for them in about 2 weeks. Many were hesitant even at the good price I got. The replacement bulb costs are high. Should I expect a high percentage of them to have bulb problems?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Thanks for any help and have a good holiday!

James R. Geib

Size15's

Flashaholic
James,

If a bulb is going to die it is likely to die within the first couple sets of batteries. I guess you have already tried putting fresh batteries in it and checking whether the TailCap switch is correctly seated in the TailCap?
I don't suppose you ordered an SC1 Spares Carrier, spare P60 and a 12 pack of SF123A's (SF12BB) when you ordered your G2?

I suggest that you order these things in addition to calling SureFire Customer Service (800 828 8809), explaining your situation and asking how they can help you. It is likely you will be sent a replacement lamp.

James, you should not expect, nor experience a high percentage of the 15 G2's ordered to have bulb problems.

Please let us know how you get on with SureFire Customer Service.

Al

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply Al! I did try another set of batteries, but I have no spare bulb to try yet. I also re-seated the tailswitch a few times. I will contact Surefire and let them know the situation.

James

Size15's

Flashaholic
It's always the way - the bulb that blows is the one you don't have a replacement for. It's happened to me before - I make sure I have replacements for every flashlight I use including non SureFires (Rage/StealthLite/Super SabreLite/UKE-2L/Surge)

SureFire's Spares Carriers allow you to have spares in your car/bag etc so that you can carry spares will you (as spares are little use back home when you use the item else where!)

I have an SC1 and SC2 in my rucksack I take to work. They are super.

Al

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
One last question Al (really three questions). Is Surefire pretty good about replacing defective bulbs? No bulb should blow on the first set of batteries, right?? If I ordered a bunch of G2s from an authorized dealer and any of the bulbs blow on the first set of batteries, could they be replaced free of charge??

Thanks again,

James

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yes they are.
Well it's a bulb. They do fail sometimes although it is very rare. Better to fail early on during training I guess. Flashlight bulbs are not designed to fail on the first set of batteries (as far as I know). SureFires certainly are not.
Yes, they could. I believe SureFire directly will sort this out if you call them. Some Dealers are called "master dealers" or something and they can replace parts etc as they have to have a certain level of parts/stock in stock. At least thats how I think it works.

Al

freewheelin'

Enlightened
The only time I ever experienced anything like this was when I gave my dad a new E1E, the firt time he loaded a bett. POP. Luckily I had also ordered a spare lamp. SF replaced that one and between uswe've never blown another. Call SF thier customer service is pretty darn good.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
exact same thing happened to my first 6P i bought...sent surefire an email and i got a new P60 in the mail a week later /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i found out later that one of the wires from the bulb that was soldered to the outer spring had come loose so you might want to check that. if your new P60 doesn't die after a few sets of batteries and drops, it'll likely last you a whole lot longer as i've discovered. i understand perfectly how you feel now, but their customer service will more than make up for it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies. I contacted Surefire by telephone today, and a new P60 should be on it's way. It only required a little bit of information from me, and they took care of the rest. Great customer service. I look foward to seeing just how long a P60 SHOULD last!

James