Laptop Suggestions for son in Thailand

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Well my son's 4 year-old well used laptop is on its last legs. Using a CRT for the monitor now :mecry:
So he's looking for something wonderful and inexpensive :) :crackup:
150 gig+ HD 2 ghz processor. 2 gig ram (or more) For the wants, I'd like a webcam, dedicated audio controls, card reader, and a longer life battery. Bluetooth might be a plus....none of those are essentials, just considerations
Under consideration
Tiger Direct Refurb

New Dell, any idea what the gift card can be used on?

Amazon NetBook

[url=http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/topics/global.aspx/arb/online/en/InventoryDetails?systemId=DDDWB7JW&~lt=popup&c=us&l=en&s=dfb&cs=28]Dell outlet?[/url]

My guesses as to specs they must have:
AC adapter handles 110/60 and 220/50
Larger screen probably 15" min--Playing video or pictures well a must, size compromisable
Larger HD, for pictures and Dru's copious writing and music files.
Card reader a big plus
DVD/CD reader writer.--NetBook--USB connected work?
Integrated wireless
Any suggestions or recommendations would be a help.
I know there have been threads like this before but with computers last week is so..ancient :p

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of all the laptops I've gone through. That's right Gone through.

Thinkpads are some of best built machines for the money. The newer ones feel cheaper because they changed the plastic used but are still very solid.

I noticed that Lenovo has a lot of sales in the US so keep an eye out.

Skip the HP and Dell Consumer lines as they are garbage their business lines are decent machines but most of the time are more expensive than the equivalent Thinkpad.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
by the way, just a side note.. Ghz does not always determine the speed of the processor.. you have to factor in cores, bus speed, etc.

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
Even tho I love my netbook, I suggest looking for something else. Even with an external optical drive they're nowhere near meeting the desired specs.

Thinkpads are nice, Toshiba makes some great machines too, but you pay a lot for what you get. I don't know what conditions in Thailand he's using the laptop in, but if he uses it 'in the field' a lot and reliability is important, maybe look into getting a 'ruggedized' laptop...

LEDobsession

Enlightened
Go for the new Macbook or the Macbook Pro. You wont be disappointed and you wont have to worry so much about getting a virus. They are few and far between. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I've used a few different ones & owned fewer! I feel Toshiba Satellites are "flimsy", Compaqs, HPs, & Gateways are alright (at least the ones I've been exposed to)...However...

I got a great deal on a returned ASUS notebook, took it back the next day...too small for me! Got another (even better) deal on another used (but basically NEW) ASUS, sold it within a week as well - same reason. Mine were the 9" screens, maybe the larger ones are a little better. My right pinky absolutely did NOT like the right "Shift" key...too small. I can type fairly well & it was a pain on the small ASUS for me.

I personally like Dell "D-series" Latitudes. I bought a used D600 on CPFM B/S/T several years ago & it's still going as strong as ever! Recently picked up a used D400 (because it was another one of those GREAT deals). It's now taken the place of the D600 as my "portable" and the D600 gets used around the house.

Depending on how much "knocking around" it's going to get in Thailand...it would probably pay to get one with a strong chassis (business/corporate class).

BTW, I really don't know what I'm talking about! :D

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with Sigman. I have had a Dell Inspiron E1505 for over two years. It has been on at least 8 hours a day, usually 10 or more, and except for the battery now needing replaced she is still going strong. I would have no problem recommending a Dell Laptop.

My 2 cents.

Bill

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with Sigman. I have had a Dell Inspiron E1505 for over two years. It has been on at least 8 hours a day, usually 10 or more, and except for the battery now needing replaced she is still going strong. I would have no problem recommending a Dell Laptop.

My 2 cents.

Bill

You're not really agreeing with him. Sigman talked about a Latitude series Dell which is business corporate class machine. It's a completely different level of machine than an Inspirion.

If you had a Latitude and Inspirion machine sitting side by side one you would see one is a plastic piece of junk while the other is a precision made machine with light weight yet strong metals and composits.

I can't stress this enough, if he's a student or if the machine is going to be moved around in a back pack or he's going to need to depend on a machine on the road you're going to have to get a Business/corporate class machine. Anything else is going to start to fall apart.

If it's going to sit at a desk for all of it's life then you can get away with consumer class stuff but they are just not in the same league as a corporate class machine.

"Ruggidize" machines are really nice but unless he's going to be seeing military action it's a bit of overkill.

To be simple to understand I'll translate it to our flashlight lingo
Consumer class machines = cheap Chinese DX lights
Business Class Machines = Well known brands like a Maglite, Streamlight, Pelican.
Ruggidize machines (Panasonic Toughbooks) = M series Surefires.

MBP... Great OS if you're in to that. However with Linux distros floating around that a better than Windows and OSX there's no reason to get a Mac for just the OS. The hardware I'm not really a fan because Mac has been known to do incredibly stupid things with their hardware. Batteries artifically dying, thermal design that you know wasn't done by an engineer or it was done as an after thought. I haven't had a chance to play with the latest MBP that Apple touts so much about it being green. But the past MBP just expensive unreliable toys. Problem aside I'm just tired of their hardware monopoly as I am MS with their OS oligopoly(but MS has better Launch parties).

ypsifly

Enlightened
"Ruggidize" machines are really nice but unless he's going to be seeing military action it's a bit of overkill.

Given the current situation in Thailand, ruggidized might not be a bad idea. How is your son holding out during the coup, Wit's End? I hope all is well.

Getting back OT, we have a Dell Inspiron 1525 that gets used for hours on end every day for the past year and it holds up just fine. Not as flashy as a newer model, but it gets the job done just fine.

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
Given the current situation in Thailand, ruggidized might not be a bad idea. How is your son holding out during the coup, Wit's End? I hope all is well.

Getting back OT, we have a Dell Inspiron 1525 that gets used for hours on end every day for the past year and it holds up just fine. Not as flashy as a newer model, but it gets the job done just fine.
He is in Chang Mai, he's been there for part of the last three years. The stuff going on down in Bangkok hasn't affected him as of yet. We're hoping and praying he isn't directly affected by it, he is in the city.
My wife and I were in Livonia, just a few weeks ago. Went to a MOMCC conference :sssh: Spent a wonderful day behind the scenes at The Henry Ford. He was quite a collector, they have ~1 million items, only 1/3 have been cataloged (IIRC). Really impressed w/ the one of a kind things there. The Dymaxion house was interesting, and the original Weiner mobile :)

Anyhow my son got an Acer Aspire from a local retailer for $300. So far he is happy with it :)
He has had a Dell Inspiron for about five years, only had one meltdown (during warranty). Now the screen is bad, or the connection to it, using an $8 CRT, makes it less portable.
They are planning on getting a real laptop in a year or so. Maybe when they come home with our 1 year old grand child that isn't born yet and we probably won't see untill then :( [ not that that is bothering anyone Stateside :) ]
So thanks for the input, maybe I'll blow the dust off this thread in a year or so :)

ypsifly

Enlightened
Small world, Wit's End. I work at The Henry Ford as a Sous Chef and when the Wiener Mobile Cafe is open I wander out on to the museum floor to do line checks. Had I known a CPF'r was at the museum I would have pointed you in the direction of our old light bulbs display. We open Greenfield Village tomorrow. This year I plan on getting my picture taken in Edison's Menlo Park lab with some of my Surefires.

Glad to hear your son is ok.