Surprised with River Rock 2AAA Target purchase

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just made an impulse buy at Target for a River Rock 2AAA light. It was on clearance for 4.77! With all the lights I have I thought that I should pass – but then I kept thinking $4.77 was not bad considering it even came with alkaline batteries. I wanted to see what the output was like and was curious about the light for some time now.

Well – I am impressed with the light for the price. It puts out a pretty impressive amount of light. I would guess it is close to 15-20 lumens. The build quality is also good. The tint is actually pretty white and not bad at all. It is definitely cool compared to a Cree but I would not consider it either blue or purple which I was concerned it may be. It is better than a Nichia GS and brighter. The reflector beam is very smooth without rings. It is actually very nice.

The light is said to be regulated and I measured 130-140 mA current from the battery. This is not bad for the amount of light it puts out compared to other lights I have tested. You could probably get 5 hours of bright regulated light on a set of eneloops.

I am happy I purchased the light and it will be a great backup light in a drawer or some other place for an emergency light. Definitely one of the best bang for buck lights I have recently purchased.

Last edited:

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Re: Suprised with River Rock 2AAA Target purchase

I saw those today at Target as well, but they were only down to $6.77. And I have one already.
But at $4.77, what's not to like, just throw it in the kitchen drawer, and you'll use it sometime.
I think I put one of these into my mother's bailout bag.
daloosh

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
And it will be great with a couple of AAA lithium Energizers. If it follows any of the other lights tested with Energizer lithiums - runtime should be very impressive.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
What LED does it use. Luxeon?

Bill

I'm not sure. It is one of the .5 watt LED's. It is not the Nichia used in the earlier Fenix E1 - which by the way were kind of purple.

FYI - I bought a cheap AA light at Fry's that had a similar looking LED that was TERRIBLE. It was truely PURPLE and not very bright. The light was a mimick of the Fenix light and was complete junk. This is why I was a bit hesitant. I think I paid about $7 for the light. This light is in a complete diferent class.

Light Sabre

Enlightened
The Target here in Boulder had the 2AA 1W Energizer flashlight on clearance for $6.48 a couple weeks ago. Bought one and was very impressed so I went back and bought the last 2.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RR 2 AAA is on clearance here in Arkansas for about $6.68 I think it was.
I have not bought one yet but have been looking at it. If it drops below $5 I will probably get it even though I don't need it.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The clip that comes on these also works pretty well on your L0D or E01, and looks better than the Fenix clips.

SN852987.jpg

Geoff

boomhauer

Banned
What LED does it use. Luxeon?

Bill
Someone else posted that it was similar, if not identical, to an SMJLED. For 5-7 bucks on clearance, it has good build quality, good finish, good brightness and beam quality, rear switch with momentary activation and anti-roll with a clip - what's not to like?

I've got a couple so far. :whistle: