Improving the E01

Ecko

Newly Enlightened
Why doesn't Fenix improve the E01? Everyone always complains about the purple/blue tint it has. Would it really be that hard to improve that on it? I know that it's considered a keychain/budget light but still, I think it's time for a step up on this light.

Marduke

Flashaholic
The E01 IS the improvement. As blue tinted as it is, it's still head and shoulders above what it replaced.

However, with Cree's entry into the 5mm market, we might finally see some competition in that format.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I wouldn't mind seeing them shrink it back to E0 size. It is more stylish, but I'd rather it was smaller, while keeping the newer LED.

Geoff

ambientmind

Enlightened
The crees are nice. I got mine from mouser I think. Although not nearly as bright as the nichias, they have a much warmer color. That might be my next project, mod an EO1 with the cree....:thinking:
anywho, they are prett cool.

22hornet

Enlightened
I wouldn't mind seeing them shrink it back to E0 size. It is more stylish, but I'd rather it was smaller, while keeping the newer LED.

Geoff

+1 Indeed. I haven't bought an E01 thusfar because I think it is ugly. I prefered the older, smaller, E0.

I do like the availability in colors, however, but what would really be interesting would be the availability of different colors in leds.
The only source for new colored 5mm lights seems to be Peak these days.

Why Fenix does not offer their lights in different colored leds remains a mystery to me. We all need lights with red, turquoise, blue, amber, yellow leds. In 5mm leds as well as in the "more powerful" leds.

If only Fenix would listen to me... :mecry:

Kind regards,
Joris

MWClint

Enlightened
Peak uses warm tinted 5mm led in their lineup..just gotta ask for em when you call in an order. They call the tint "snow"

from left to right..they are a creamy white tint

peak "snow" leds, LD01SS(on low) q5 wc tint, nichia 5mm leds
warm5mm.jpg

and at a lower exposure.
warm5mm2.jpg

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The E01 IS the improvement. As blue tinted as it is, it's still head and shoulders above what it replaced.

However, with Cree's entry into the 5mm market, we might finally see some competition in that format.

I thought the E01 replaced the E0? I had both and kept the E0's. The beam was the same, the E0 was marginally dimmer but noticeably smaller.

What they need to do is bring back the E1 but with a Cree XP-E R2, and give it a single level with a 10 hr runtime.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I thought the E01 replaced the E0? I had both and kept the E0's. The beam was the same, the E0 was marginally dimmer but noticeably smaller.

It was an upgrade/replacement. If you actually compare the E01 with GS to anything from the previous generation using the CS, you'll see that it is on average much whiter. It's just still much bluer than the Cree's most people are more accustomed to.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
It was an upgrade/replacement. If you actually compare the E01 with GS to anything from the previous generation using the CS, you'll see that it is on average much whiter. It's just still much bluer than the Cree's most people are more accustomed to.

Maybe that is true "on average" but not the case with the two GS E01's I had, they were more blue than some of the DS, CS, BS LED's I've used over the years. The only noticeable difference was the oval hotspot in the beam and greater brightness.

popcornpicker

Newly Enlightened
The EO1 is what is is, a reliable, low output, long lasting torch.

If you want something different, buy something different.

unique

Enlightened
Brighter, same size, get rid of the coloured tint, white and bright.
By bright I mean, slightly brighter then what it is now.
And I for sure will buy it.

Jaygnar

Newly Enlightened
I love my E01! The light is rugged, useful, long lasting, plenty bright enough for around the house. I like the color of the light that it produces and the fact that it is cheaper than the Peak and Arc lights that it was designed to compete with is awesome! Spend the 15 bucks and order from Fenix store for free shipping and you got a great torch with a lifetime guarantee! For 15 bucks shipped anywhere in the world!
I wouldn't change a thing!!!!!!!:)