Votes: 10 22.7%
  • No - But my arms are awfully tired.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I've been at school. In a few weeks I'll return home and to my employers office for the summer. (They graciously allow me to work from school when I'm at school).

Ergonomics are a problem! My desk at work is not comfortable. I'm a pretty short guy. I think Ergonomics is somewhat of a buzz term and overused a bit, and that posture is just as, if not more important, but at the same time I know if I am on a good height chair at a good height desk (for me) then I can work for hours. If the desk or chair combo isn't working, I'm fidgety and uncomfortable all day.

At work we have those super cheap leather chairs...the kind that are like $59 at Staples. I guess if you're the exact right body size those might be super comfortable, but for me they are atrocious. The non-adjustable arm-rests are always getting in the way, the seat cushion is too long... :sick2:

The plot thickens though...I swung by the office today and noticed that the chair at the desk I normally sit at has been replaced by one of these buddies.

Now if you think I'm going to spend ~500 hours this summer glued to Jules...you're wrong. I could pester my boss, but I'm sure the best I'd do is Jules with Wheels...or somebody else would get a better chair and I'd get one of those leather monstrosities again.

Am I whiney? Perhaps, but if you have to sit in a horrible chair hopefully you can relate.

Anyway I've decided to take matters into my own hands. I'm just going to buy my own chair. That doesn't bother me so much...if I'm comfortable at work I'll enjoy work a lot more, and when I come back to school the chair can come with me too.

I've basically decided on a Steelcase Leap. They are pricey yes, but you can find gently used ones for very reasonable prices and they're built like a tank. I had a former employer who provided us with LEAPs, and I love it. There are some people who don't like it, but I found it to be super incredibly comfortable. The only thing that might be better is if we could take the seat out of my Saab and put it on casters.

Now that you know the back story...I can save a little money by getting one without arms. I'm naturally hesitant to that, but when I stop and think about it I realize that all the chairs I use here at school are without arms, and so long as the chair height, the work-surface height, and my height are all working together...it doesn't really ever seem to be a problem.

So do you have arms on your office chair?

Last edited:

Tom_123

Newly Enlightened
Well, I' working on the PC most of the time, so my arms rest on the table anyway.
Never got the meaning of arm rests on office chairs, but that's just me.
Furthermore, for most quality chairs the arm rests can be ordered later on,
if you feel that you need them.

If you don't mind some further suggestions:
If possible, find yourself a dedicated ("brick and motar") store
and get an in-depth consultation.

Not every chair fits everybody and sometimes you pay rather for the design than for the ergonomics.
So IMHO, the only way to choose the right chair is to sit on them.

BTW, I got me this one:

http://www.girsberger.com/en/office-collection/swivel-chairs/reflex/

It's perfect for me and worth every cent that I payed for,
but as I'm tall and heavy it may not be the best choice for you.

regards

Thomas

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm always sitting parallel to the edge of my desk instead of facing it. My monitor sits at the far end. I always take off just one arm rest because it's in the way. I voted yes- Just how I like it but I guess that's only half true... rollseyes

Illum

Flashaholic
Its so hard to find a desk chair that fits me...but I finally found it on a medical catalog

its a round foam padded stool. NO ARM REST or BACK REST...why chairs must have either or both is illogical to me:shakehead. You shouldn't be slouching on your chair anyway.

When I was young dad had a chair made for me that only had the two back legs and no back rest. Its a home remedy for teach me to sit straight...pity he didn't patent it. It happened to be one of the first things I succeeded in mastering:nana:

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hal no to Jules! Sit in one of those long enough, you get pressure points on your 6 and those kinks aren't amusing in the least. Not to mention poor back support if you need to lean back, no adjustable work height blah-blah. Looks like torture. ;) Both my chairs have arm rests, I usually lean on the left side the most.

One of the guy's I know that sews utility items has a chair that costs about $1K. He says he spends 8-10 hour shifts in it and it isn't a problem. No pressure points, sore-stiffness...easy time. He's in his mid 60's. My other buddy his home office chair is a Recaro. I'm working my way up and figure that a modest $150-$200 chair lasts just short of 3 years with 2 being average depending on quality. The foam compresses or something eventually breaks. I'm not big guy at 150#'s either.

Buy what is comfortable. Also helpful is a few ab and lower back exercises (exercise in general) goes a long way in preventing the inactivity as promoted in office environments. :)

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
No arms for me.

I don't use one, but some people swear by the "ergonomic" knee/kneeling type of chair that is supposed to be good for posture, IIRC. My mother has used one of those for years and years now, but she does not spend copious amounts of time on one, so YRMV.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I don't use one, but some people swear by the "ergonomic" knee/kneeling type of chair that is supposed to be good for posture, IIRC...
I was facinated by those chairs and I used one for a couple of years. I found mine ok with one exception -- they completely tie up one's feet. I couldn't just pull it up to my industrial sewing machine and sit in it while I sewed a sheath or bag. I eventuslly got rid of it.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Like Sub_Umbra, i've also removed ONE armrest from my chair !

Nice to know i'm not the only person who is "unusual". :whistle:

:cool:

_

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer arm rests myself because I tend to lean forward and like the bracing they provide. However, the last time I had a real desk job was in the early 90's. That chair was a Gunlocke that my boss decided he didn't like - great old style heavily padded executive desk chair. Of course I had really lusted after a Recaro desk chair but for some reason no one wanted to pony up $1300-2000+.

The only problem with a really nice desk chair these days is tracking down who stole it after you left the night before.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most definitely arm rests! I guess I've been spoiled, almost having always used an Aeron chair my entire career, even across different companies and clients.

Saaby

Flashaholic
I'm pretty settled on the LEAP...like I said, I've used one before (Part time job so...21-30 hours a week for a year and a half.) and I know I like them.

The thing I don't like about Arms is they sometimes get in the way! AS has been noted here.

The thing about the LEAP though is the arms can be adjusted, and when they're at the lowest level they're basically gone.

Sooo...even though it's a fair bit more expensive, I guess I'm leaning towards arm rests now.

brucec

Enlightened
Most definitely arm rests! I guess I've been spoiled, almost having always used an Aeron chair my entire career, even across different companies and clients.

I've always had those in my office too. Comfortable, but they are quick to wear holes in your rear pockets.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Right now I'm leaning forward using my folded legs as elbow rests since there are no arm rests with where I'm sitting, so I suppose if the chair doesn't have arm rest I brought some with me.

Last edited:

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
My desk chair at home is actually a loaner from the dining table, and I like it way better than any office chair I ever purchased :grin2: The wooden seat is comfortable for a few hours but more than that, it reminds me to get up and stretch and simply move.

At work I tend to go for chairs with arms, because I work in a reception counter and having work to do is not always a thing. The arms are good for resting my elbows when I'm perusing the web on a tablet or reading a guidebook or anything, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.