Kitchen sink

wacolocc

Newly Enlightened
My kitchen sink has a gash in it that I'm trying to solder shut. I'm thinking I need at least a blow torch because my solder irons do not seem to get the sink hot enough to melt the solder. Any suggestions?

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, wacolocc.

I have to confess I'm not sure what sub-forum this belongs in, if any - I don't recall seeing a thread about mending kitchen sinks before, lol. I think I'll move it to the Cafe - someone must do the washing up there, and maybe they'll know what to do.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting first post...

If you're soldering it, I do hope you're using lead-free solder to do so...

How large is this gash? That'll most likely determine whether I'd recommend soldering or some other solution.

Actually, why not just replace the sink?

I just have to say this:

This forum's got it all, even down to a kitchen sink (or at least a thread on one!)

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Part of the problem is that a stainless steel kitchen sink has a lot of area to dissipate heat over. If you really don't want to replace it, maybe find someone to weld it for you. However, since you'll probably be putting food or at least dished in that sink you cannot use lead or other toxic metals -- that's why silver solder is now used in plumbing instead of lead.

A lot easier to replace the sink and it might not be too horribly expensive.

wacolocc

Newly Enlightened
For what its worth the gash is about 3/4 of an inch long. But since one of the solders I tried to use has lead in it I am going to cease and wait until I can replace it. Like sam said though, the area is so large that I can't see the gash area getting hot enough to work. I was looking for a quick fix but will wait. By the way the gash got there when I threw a large iron skillet across the counter to avoid throwing it at the wife during an argument.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hate to ask but how did you get a 3/4 inch cut in your kitchen sink? I assume it is not installed but a unit your fixing to install in your kitchen? If not I would love to hear the story!:popcorn:

Bill

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Maybe just some good old silicon caulk. For those jobs that just won't work with duct tape or wire. Actually, Trashman's plumber's epoxy idea sounds better.

Geoff

buickid

Enlightened
Clean the area with some sandpaper or a grinding implement, and use some JB Weld. That stuff holds together engine blocks, why not a sink! :D

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clean the area with some sandpaper or a grinding implement, and use some JB Weld. That stuff holds together engine blocks, why not a sink! :D

+1
There really is no way to fix it unless you can have it welded. There are a number of stop gap temporary methods,

JB Weld is probably the best, put the JB weld on both sides of the gash.