Captain freed, pirates killed

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to CNN and Fox it appears the US Military just killed three of the terrorist pirates holding the captain of the Maersk Alabama off Somalia and the captain is now free. I have been following this ordeal and have felt so sorry for the captains family. Way to go US military.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
They got what they deserve! :xyxgun: I wonder if it was a SEAL operation that saved him, I was talking about this yesterday with some friends and we were wondering if a commando team could sneak up on them underwater, I think this is exactly what happened.

Glad to see the hostage has been freed.

AlexGT

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
It appears the Captain tried to escape again. This time the SEALS were waiting outside and did not miss the chance. Once he was separated from the boat, it was over. It will be interesting to see how it went down.

Glad he's free.

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good job boys, glad to hear the Capt. is safe and kept trying to escape.

Big thanks to the United States Navy SEAL team.:devil:

Mayo

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a lot (if not all) cargo ships should have armed security on board. I read that all the crew had to protect themselves was a firehose.
Those pirates got what they deserved. I'm certainly glad the Captain got away unharmed.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
It went down exactly as I'd pictured it; one SEAL sniper per pirate - one of the four pirates swims over to the ship to negotiate, and is quietly arrested and hidden within the ship. The remaining three pirates get antsy after waiting a long while and move closer to find out what happened to their comrade, and in an instant a loud crack fills the air, and the hostage captain finds himself sitting in the middle of three headless men. Nicely done SEALs :thumbsup:

fieldops

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think a lot (if not all) cargo ships should have armed security on board. I read that all the crew had to protect themselves was a firehose.
Those pirates got what they deserved. I'm certainly glad the Captain got away unharmed.

I agree completely. Unfortunately, current international laws can prohibit an armed crew, depending on the laws of their port's destination country. It's utterly ridiculous. People need to wise up and fast. Some companies do have armed guards. It's definitely the way to go.

Last edited:

gorn

Enlightened
Pretty close StarHalo, but the SEALs now use SR25 sniper rifles, .308 cal and silenced. My son used one of those several times in Iraq and was quite impressed. No loud crack just wispered death come from those rifles.

I'm glad the SEALs were allowed to end this the way it should have been ended. Make it real expensive in pirate lives and the nonsense will start to end.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good start, now they just need to blow all the motherships out of water and scorch all the land bases of the pirates.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Good start, now they just need to blow all the motherships out of water and scorch all the land bases of the pirates.
+1

This situation with piracy wouldn't even exist if they were destroyed. Make it too expensive and dangerous, and they'll disappear.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was waiting to hear this.

I'm sure plenty of people knew in the back of their minds it would end similarly to this.

Way to go guys.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Pretty close StarHalo, but the SEALs now use SR25 sniper rifles, .308 cal and silenced. My son used one of those several times in Iraq and was quite impressed. No loud crack just wispered death come from those rifles.

I'm glad the SEALs were allowed to end this the way it should have been ended. Make it real expensive in pirate lives and the nonsense will start to end.

I wonder how they compensate for wave movement of both boats with a sniper shot? Up close, next to the boat I could see a 100% result.

mechBgon

Enlightened
I wonder how they compensate for wave movement of both boats with a sniper shot? Up close, next to the boat I could see a 100% result.

From what I read, the lifeboat was getting a tow away from dangerous waters and wasn't too far away, although I'm sure it would still take incredible discipline to constantly maintain one's readiness to shoot on split-second notice:

Seas in the area were getting rough at the time of the rescue, Gortney said, and the Bainbridge was towing the lifeboat presumably to calmer waters with a towline about 82 feet long.