I want that Surefire UB3 INVICTUS!

325addict

Enlightened
Finally got my hands on the 2009 SF catalog... from the German eBay-site!

I came across the UB3 invictus. According to SF, this is ".... everything you ever wanted in a serious illumination tool".

And right they are, the only two things I can bring against this statement are:

A: with a size of more than 9" it is not exactly what I would call "compact",
B: it will, of course, have that white/blueish tint I dislike.

But otherwise, I think it has all you could wish, including an instantly variable light output using a selector ring. No more "off-and-quickly-after-that-on-again" for the next setting :sigh:

This is what I can imagine to be a good UI!!

As we know, light output should double in order to see it as "brighter".
And see what the brightness-settings are:

2 - 5 - 10 - 25 - 50 - 100 - 200 - 350 Lumens! That's about a doubling every step!

The light works on 3 CR123s and, as I can think, on 2 17500s.
For 140 hours on the lowest setting :twothumbs

Does anybody know, when this one will become available, and what the price tag will be? I'm afraid of that price tag.... I guess I'm not wanting it anymore then :thinking:

Timmo.

seale_navy

Enlightened
hey...

flashlightshop.de on their webpage have all the new 09 surefire model with the estimated delivery date.. maybe u can check it out there.. i think its in August 09 (expected delivery) as mentioned on the webpage..

gsxrac

Enlightened
I think in the $350ish price range and many around here have learned not to believe speculated delivery dates on anything, especially Surefires! I figure thats a good thing for me since its hard for me to come up with large amounts of money and by the time they ACTUALLY release the UB3 (sometime between tomorrow and the end of eternity, IF your lucky lol) I may just be able to afford it :twothumbs

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
flashlightshop.de on their webpage have all the new 09 surefire model with the estimated delivery date.. maybe u can check it out there.. i think its in August 09 (expected delivery) as mentioned on the webpage..
The delivery date as well as the price for the UB3 as well as the AZ2, M3L, M3LT and the Saint are unknown yet. That´s what their webpages say. And that got me wondering why they put them up in their shop if they don´t know when and how much (that´s why they listed those lights with 999.- Euro). They have estimated delivery dates for the A2L (07/23), Lx1 (08/11), Lx2 (07/15), T1A (05/26) but I guess we all know what good these estimations really are.

Eric

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
The delivery date as well as the price for the UB3 as well as the AZ2, M3L, M3LT and the Saint are unknown yet. That´s what their webpages say. And that got me wondering why they put them up in their shop if they don´t know when and how much (that´s why they listed those lights with 999.- Euro). They have estimated delivery dates for the A2L (07/23), Lx1 (08/11), Lx2 (07/15), T1A (05/26) but I guess we all know what good these estimations really are.

Eric

Many of these lights were previously promised to be available much earlier but were never delivered. at this point, I'll believe it when they are in dealers hands, not a second earlier. surefire has lost a lot of credibility. i thought their inability to deliver in '08 was a fluke, but the same thing happened this year. i like their lights, but can't understand the way they run their business. the T1A was supposed to be available by end of '08, then Feb. 09, now May...

dcycleman

Enlightened
Yeah, I'm getting aggrivated with SF as well. I have several of their lights and no dout they are top notch, but this keeping people waiting buisiness is crap. I was wanting a saint but I am now considering a zebralight. Well, competition is a good thing, mabe if they start losing buisiness they will get their act together. Fenix seems to be able to deliver what they say as do many others.

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
c9a2ed93dbfb11e324f5b3e281e5e1b2.gif
I am still crying over the death of the Ua2 Optimus.

CR123_CR123_CR123

Newly Enlightened
hehe. I want a UB3 too. I'm kind of glad the UB3 is not out yet because now I have enough time to work and save for one. No more credit card purchases for me. :twothumbs

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am still crying over the death of the Ua2 Optimus.

In order for something to die first it has to be born! :poke:

This was a ghost that never was. I am almost tempted to bet a serious shot of Scotch that the Invictus won't materialize in 2009 either.

The definition of the phrase "Excercise in Futility"; wanting and waiting for something to come into fruition first lusted after from a Surefire catalog. :nana:

325addict

Enlightened
OK, that's very clear. MAYBE it will finally come - in 2011 or so :mecry:

That said, there's one thing positive - I can raise enough money for it in the meantime :D

What do you guys think, it will finally cost? I guess it could be well over $350,- so more than $1,- per Lumen :whistle:

This concept (I really think it's more than just "another" flashlight) will alter flashlight-UI forever IMHO.... this is more or less what I've been waiting for for years! WHEN I grab a LED-light and accept the ugly color the light has, THEN I want to benefit from the advantages LEDs have in FULL: the possibility to have different light outputs for example, and the fact they have a higher efficiency, and all this instantly accessible. OK, a Fenix may work with it's "off-and-quickly-after-that-on-again" to get to the next setting, but it usually bores me that much, that I just switch it on and leave it in that mode.
Here, the L1 is already much better I think. For a quick inspection, just press lightly OR further when more light is needed, release and the light is off again. Very, very quick to use indeed. Want lasting light? Just TURN that tailcap (something most newbies/non-flashaholics simply DON'T understand!) :nana:
Sometimes, people keep on pressing for minutes(!) that button, and finally come back with it, stating it's a #$#!!!#$$@$!!! flashlight....

I get the point of a good UI more and more.... when I was new here, it was no point to me whatsoever, now it's one of the points I pay great attention to. A flashlight with a bad UI (in the users' point of view) will never see much use... and that's what we buy them for, to use 'em.....

Timmo.

300winmag

Enlightened
As of 12-16-2008, 06:07 PM

Dear Sir,
As much as we would like to give an exact release date for the Invictus and Optimus lights, previous experience has proven that this is a bad idea. Both the UA2 and the UB2 are highly anticipated products, and our Product Management team is making absolutely sure that the product released will not disappoint. We are hoping to release around mid-2009, however this date is not set in stone and is subject to change.

Thank you

Greg Lin
Technical Support
SureFire LLC
800-828-8809

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
eh, the way I look at it, there is no shortage of good lights from likes of Surefire, Ra, Arc, etc. Might as well grab a bucket of popcorn chicken and watch the development, and put your money in a CD account to grow a bit.

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
2 years ago I ordered a light and was "never delivered" by Surefire, the Asian manufacturing have delivered in less then a month.

To be realistic if you look closely 90% of the posts in the LED forum are about Asian based lights. One has to ask why do we need Surefire or why we even care?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did really want the UB3, but now I think I would rather have the M3L or M3LT, I'm not sure. :thinking: But the delay has given me more time to think about it. :grin2: I'm not sure how much I'll be carrying around a 9+ inch light for the lower settings. If I grab it, it's going to be full power. :D

m3lcomboa.jpg

Both the M3L and M3LT look different here (SHOT Show) than in the catalog. I wonder what the final version(s) will look like.

Last edited: