FourSevens        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fenix lights w/9 lumen low - is this low enough for you?

Default Fenix lights w/9 lumen low - is this low enough for you?

Recently, I am discovering the most overall utility and value in lights with:

• variable output (multi-level or even better, continuous)
    • very low low (perhaps 1 to 3 lumens, or so?)
    • ability to run on Li-Ions (if possible) as well as primaries

These features define most of the new lights that I consider adding to my existing set of lights.

I don't have any Fenix lights and because they are so very popular around here, keep thinking I really should get one to see what the excitement is all about.

I see Fenix has a few models which go down to 9 lumens (LD10, LD20, PD20, PD30) and am curious if those of you who have these lights find that 9 lumens is as low as you would like it to be for, say, navigating a dark bedroom just enough to see your way around without being so bright as to possibly disturb people sleeping.

I suppose I could just buy one and find out for myself, but before doing so, wanted to find out what other owners thought about this.

I have a few lights that go down to very low levels (not sure of the lumen output, but they are very low - LF3XT, D10, etc.). So, is the Fenix 9 lumen low plenty low enough to your preference?

And... what Fenix would you recommend to me?

Default Re: Fenix lights w/9 lumen low - is this low enough for you?

its low enough , i like it .... start out with a L2D or LD20 since you have a single AA/cr123 you need a 2aa

When I think about low lows I always remind myself to ponder the type of beam I am getting these low lows from.

1 lumen of pure flood looks a lot different than 1 lumen focused to a small point.

I like a floody low of 7 lumens and a focused low of 2 lumens.

Good point on beam.... are the beams on LD10, PD20 more on the floody side or throwers?

Flashaholic*

None of my Fenix lights low is low enough not to disturb someone sleeping. I use my NT on it's lowest, a fraction of a lumen, and that's almost too bright. You'd be amazed how bright one lumen is to dark adjusted eyes.
    List of flashlights that used to be here has been removed (by me) to save our search function. NOW USE IT.

Flashaholic*

I've got a P1D Q5 and the low is still 16 Lumens which is WAAAYYY too much in complete darkness.
    I have a SF L1 LumaMax also, which pumps out 10 Lumens on low, which is too much too! That's the reason I'm looking for an E1L, this one has a low of 3 Lumens.

I think the new SF T1A Titan should be the right one for us both
    It starts at 1 Lumen.

The light of the P1D however, is a very, very good mix of spill and throw. I went into the woods with it, along with 7 other flashlights, and this little one was the surprise in the field!
    The L1 has a much, much tighter beam (for which it was designed, and they succeeded very well) but proves quite useless in the woods due to this beam. There's hardly any spill. On the other hand, the L1 makes for a perfect inspection light for electronics. Never had a better one!

Bottom line: it just depends what you would like to have.

And remember, if you want to use a Fenix in complete darkness and don't want to disturb others, you should choose one from a SINGLE point of view: it should START WITH the lowest setting!! Starting at med or high means that anybody in the room will be awake instantly

For example, an LD10 Q5 does switch on at 9 Lumens.

But may I give you some hint? Why not use that old fashioned Solitaire? It is cheap, and throws out a few Lumens of yellowish light, that isn't so disturbing as the bright white LED-light. I have one ready for use at night, right next to me when I'm in bed... this little one is always critisized here for having no light-output at all, but.... in this case that's a desirable feature

Timmo.

Timmo... I have an L1 as well and agree that 10 lumens is way too much for a good low.

I'm really interested in Fenix simply because I don't have one, but I certainly don't NEED another light. I have several lights that offer amazing versatility and range down to super low output... so I'm already well covered in that type of light (LF3XT, Jet III M, D10, ConneXion X2). Perhaps I should be looking at another, different Fenix model, as they don't seem to make a light with a low enough low (for me) and continuously variable output.

Come on Fenix... with all the great models you make, it's past time for something that will compete with the LF3XT's of the world. How about a light that does down to 1 lumen with variable output?

The LF3XT is my favorite all around light, anyone have any idea how many lumens it puts out on min? I would guess less than 1 lumen? I quite often use it at that level, or ramp it up just a touch to, perhaps, 3-4 lumens or so. Continuous ramp is a wonderful thing... and so is a super low low.

But back on topic.... I still can't decide which Fenix model I should start with, SO, if there isn't a Fenix which will give me a super low.... for a guy who doesn't really "NEED" another light... what's the coolest, most wonderful Fenix to just "have"?
    Last edited by DHart; 04-13-2009 at 01:07 AM.

Enlightened

I have fenix L1D CE emitting about 15 on low which seem blinding at night time use. I think 9 lumens won't be significantly lower. Minimum setting on my Nitecore D10 seems nice and my Liteflux LF2 Cree can go even lower. If you must get a fenix light that could go real low, you need a Fenix E01, but that is still quite bright.

9v SafeLight SuperBright

Don't forget these brilliant 9v torches, extremely low output (effectively 3 low modes)

≈3 , <≈1, <<<1 lumens approx

Just the right amount on the two higher settings for indoor pitch black.

https://www.safe-light.com/detail/pallights.cfm?id=88
    Last edited by abvidledUK; 04-13-2009 at 12:58 AM.
    Batteries, batteries, I need more batteries ........

While there are a number of dedicated ultra low output level lights available, most times I want my low output in the same flashlight that I can also get an instant bump to high if need by, or ideally, a continuous ramp to dial in the perfect setting for the task at hand. Unfortunately, it looks like I can't get that from Fenix at this time. Too bad, though, because Fenix is such a popular and well respected brand. Perhaps in time they will offer models with more versatile output.

Flashaholic*

Well the plus side is that Fenix output levels seem to be well spaced and quite useful (at least for me). Its also nice to know exactly what the runtime will be on each level and the lack of customization (ramping, triple clicks, etc.) make it novice user friendly. Thats handy when loaning a light to non-flashaholics. I do agree with you that the low is not really low enough, but then again, what a perfect excuse to get another light.
    Keep it simple.

In my case I have many light options for a night light. My Nitecore D10, for example has a great low for nightlight. I don`t need another nightlight.

Myself...I would like around 15 lumen for low. Why so hi? Because I want it bright enough to do most tasks as well as give me great run time.

If the Fenix lights had 4 levels I would prefer a super low. 2...15...100 and blast it. But they don`t...only 3 levels.

Flashaholic

This might sound crazy to those who want a lower low: I have a P1D Q5 and as mentioned the low is at 16 lumens. If I need less light (e.g so I would not wake up my sleeping wife), I simply wrap my fingers around the light and allow just a crack of light to shine through.

Granted this is not ideal for long-time usage, but it sure works very well when I need it for short burst of ultra low lumens. Of course, for me, I use the primary mode like 90% of the time, and the need for an ultra low mode would be like maybe 1% of the time. It all depends on your needs/usage I guess.

Flashaholic*

It sounds like you would really like a Novatac/Ra, both have really low low's, and really bright high's, and you can set them anywhere inbetween, and you can decide which it comes on to, kind of an all around covering for what you want.

And you said you wanted a really cool fenix "just to have" get an LD01 and put it on your keychain. It's an amazingly bright light, in a tiny package, and you'll always have it.
    List of flashlights that used to be here has been removed (by me) to save our search function. NOW USE IT.

Evilgrin07 Re: Fenix lights w/9 lumen low - is this low enough for you?

hello ,fenix pd 20 imho got one myself good starting point as you can buy extra bodies for different battery configurations ie 1 aa or 2 aa or 1 cr 123 and you get 180 lumens so boot on turbo or 9 lumens on low from a package that fits in the palm of your hand . I also have the 1aa body for those occasions when you get caught short of cr 123 batteries you can get aa batteries anywhere . Good luck .cliff
    "Luminiferous." I have seen the light and it needs to be brighter.

Flashaholic*

Is it low enough for everything? No

Is it low enough for a good general purpose light/EDC? Yes.

If you use a light with completely dark adapted eyes, then you might want something lower or try red.

If I had it and nothing else, could I make do... certainly.

Flashaholic

Make do???? MAKE DO!!!! You sound like my wife

Something no one else has mentioned in this thread yet that I am considering for my "next" light (Olight M20 ) is a diffuser. Some form of white plastic thingy that will compression fit over the head of a flashlight, that dims it down even more and converts it into a floody.

I, like many here like a light that will do everything!!! So when I'm in bed at a hostal while travelling, and want to read the guidebook to see what we should visit tomorrow, I can do it without keeping swmbo awake.
    Isn't it strange that people are happy to adopt epithets they would fight to the death to throw off had they been imposed?

Quote Originally Posted by StandardBattery View Post
    Is it low enough for everything? No

Is it low enough for a good general purpose light/EDC? Yes.

If you use a light with completely dark adapted eyes, then you might want something lower or try red.

If I had it and nothing else, could I make do... certainly.
    same.

it's not low enough. hurts with dark adapted eyes. but they have a red filter adapter that helps.

I've been spoiled by lights like the Proton Pro, Photon Freedom, and LF3XT. The Fenix lights seem a bit too high. I wish their lows were closer to 3-5 lumens.

Geoff

Enlightened

You forgot the Fenix light w/9 lumen low flashlight that I just ordered:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...&postcount=114

TA30 has a mechanical revolving dimmer system that provides:
    9 lumens for 115 hours
    60 lumens for 25 hours!!!?
    225 lumens for 3.5 hours
    230 lumen strobe for 7 hours

Admittedly, it is not very pocket friendly due to its 200mm X 35mm dimensions, 200 grams weight and spikey bezel, but it looks pretty cuddley to me. This will be my first Fenix other than a E01.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. LED View Post
    1 lumen of pure flood looks a lot different than 1 lumen focused to a small point.
    I like a floody low of 7 lumens and a focused low of 2 lumens.
    +1, My thoughts exactly.

Flashaholic*

I've had several Fenix lights flow through my hands over the last 2 months and none of them have perfectly met my needs. Don't get me wrong they are great lights and are of great quality but I have found others that work better FOR ME. I have had the P1D and P2D and both were to large and the low was to bright. I also have had a LD01 which I really liked except for the low was no where near low enough. The P1D and P2D have been replaced by a D10 and the LD01 has been replaced by a LF2X that I received today. I have to say the LF2X is almost the perfect EDC light for me. I am considering even trying the LF5XT since I like the 2 so much.

Now oddly I am considering a Fenix because of its broader range from high to low. The Fenix TK40 compared to other offerings in the same class it has a lower low and better run time than say the Eagletac M2 series of lights. For the purposes I will use the TK40 for the 13 Lumen is a perfect low along with a blaster on turbo. The other offering that I am considering in this class of light is the Neofab Legion 2 that looks like a hell of a light. I can't wait till all of these lights in this class are out but it looks like the Fenix may be the winner for me due to it actually being available right now. I'm impatient.

So long answer short no I don't think Fenix has a low enough low for night eyes.
    My Lights: EDC; Surefire E2T-MV Tactician, ZLSC53, Preon
    Duty; Streamlight Stinger, Nitecore SRT, E2D-LED

One of the only complaints I've consistently heard about Fenix lights is their lack of a low enough low level. However, they've done so many other things so well that most folks have been willing to overlook that.

So, if you are looking for a light that offers the extreme gamut from super high to super low, then Fenix is probably not a contender.

Why do so many CPF folks like Fenix lights? Consistent build quality, reliability, an amazingly simple yet flexible UI on many of their lights that allows you to either turn on at the lowest level OR the highest level (this was before continuously variable output was widely available), and a track record of coming out with new lights quickly to keep up with the fast paced development of new LEDs. They are also known for having flat regulation along with a highly efficient driver.

Of course, the fact that they have had a US distributor like 4sevens hasn't hurt. His legendary customer service, which includes a 30 day return policy, and now his lifetime warranty on ALL Fenix lights sold by him, has helped get many of those lights into the hands of us skeptical and hard to please flashlight aficionados.

As you are finding out, there is more to a flashlight than just turning it on and getting the brightest beam possible at the cheapest price. Innovation, reliability, and excellent customer service go a long way toward establishing brand loyalty...... all of which Fenix has shown in the past.

My guess is that Fenix will continue to grown in the flashlight industry. However, they are now having to share that arena with some other very innovative companies, so it will be interesting to see how they respond.

If you MUST have a Fenix light just to see what all the fuss is about, I'd suggest the LD20. It's a simple, elegant light that isn't the brightest, or dimmest, or coolest, or most flexible........ but it just might become your 'go to' light for those times when you need a long lasting, reliable, easy to use light.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    I see Fenix has a few models which go down to 9 lumens (LD10, LD20, PD20, PD30) and am curious if those of you who have these lights find that 9 lumens is as low as you would like it to be for, say, navigating a dark bedroom just enough to see your way around without being so bright as to possibly disturb people sleeping.
    If you shine an LD10 or LD20's low-mode beam at a sleeping person's face, it will wake him or her up quickly. It pierces through the eyelids and illuminates the blood in them like a sunbeam, saturating the retina with bright orange light. Even the spill will be quite irritating at close distances. The LD01 also has a 9 lumens mode, but with a broader spot. IOW it's easier to accidentally point this at someone's face.

If you only need to navigate around the room, you could, however, point the torch at the floor, the resulting ambient brightness will allow you to see doors, obstacles etc. even in a larger room. Also, the aforementioned attachable red filter can be used. It costs a few dollars and is compatible with most P and L series lights. You can also wrap a linen handkerchief around the lamp head so that the beam has to pass through two layers of fabric. This will provide you with a surprisingly uniform, very low intensity (a fraction of 1 lumen) floodlight.

My recommendation based upon your description: PD20 or PD30. They use lithium primaries or Li-ion rechargeables (1x or 2x CR123), have a 9 lumens low mode and can be used with the official red filter or the inofficial handkerchief filter (patent pending).

I'm assuming that you do want bright light from time to time. If not, then the E0 may be better. It only has one mode with 5.5 lumens, with 20h runtime on 1x AAA.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Dean View Post
    If you MUST have a Fenix light just to see what all the fuss is about, I'd suggest the LD20. It's a simple, elegant light that isn't the brightest, or dimmest, or coolest, or most flexible........ but it just might become your 'go to' light for those times when you need a long lasting, reliable, easy to use light.
    Seconded. I am very pleased with the LD20.

An adjustable focus would be awesome though at times.

I will look to my D10 and LF3XT for the super wide range and continuous ramping features that I love so much these days. Unfortunately, Fenix doesn't have an offering that can compete with these two phenomenal lights... yet!

As I mentioned in the "Favorite Fenix" thread... I'm leaning toward the LD10 as my first Fenix. I appreciate the suggestion on the LD20, but I really prefer the more pocketable versions... so, the LD10 seems to me to offer a relatively nice range, textured reflector (my preference in a general pocketable light), ubiquitous AA powering, compact size, tailstanding... all features that appeal to me. Looks like the LD10 is for me.

The PD20 would be a very close second for me, but because I already have so many great single CR123/RCR123 lights, and prefer my CR123 lights to also run on Li-Ions, the LD10 is calling my name the loudest.
    Last edited by DHart; 04-13-2009 at 03:18 PM.

Flashaholic

Seems to me if you want the ability to have variable lows then you want to look at the Novatac, say the 85P model...
    NovaTac 120P +Petzl NAO

Flashaholic

I'd like the Fenix low to be lower. That's why I'm looking at LiteFlux for a low low..

Quote Originally Posted by DHart View Post
    I have a few lights that go down to very low levels (not sure of the lumen output, but they are very low - LF3XT, D10, etc.). So, is the Fenix 9 lumen low plenty low enough to your preference?
    And... what Fenix would you recommend to me?
    9 Lumens is definately not low enough from my POV.

My criterias for a EDC (and more) light are as follows:

• lower than 5lm low
    • start-up in low mode (!)
    • be able to crank up to 100lm if needed.
    • standard cells (e.g. AA, AAA)

So, besides of the low-low, Fenix meets all of those. I can't quite understand why Fenix seems to be reluctant to the low needs. The 9 lumens compared to the 12 of earlier lights is the correct direction, but from my POV still much too bright for navigating around in your house at night.

That's why I love my LiteFlux. But I agree, those are only partially suitable for non-flashaholics.

If you want a low Fenix, check out the E0: 5lm from a single AAA. (Unfortunately nothing other than that.)
    Regards, Alex
    List of my lights: click

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by HighLumens View Post
    That's why I'm looking at LiteFlux for a low low..
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexLED View Post
    That's why I love my LiteFlux.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast