Decent brightness and long battery life for $30?

piojo

Newly Enlightened
I just discovered my new (supposedly 45-lumen/1W) torch only lasts a few hours, and I'm looking for a replacement that I can take hiking and camping that will stay bright for at least 12 hours. I think 45 lumens is a pretty good brightness for me--I don't really need more, and I would consider a light with multiple modes, as long as some mode lasts 12+ hours.

I'm looking for something that's mid-sized--perhaps it should take three AAAs, or one or two CR123As.

A light that tail stands would be nice. Does anybody know of anything that has these characteristics for $30 or less? Thanks in advance!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I'd avoid 3 AAA lights. Low capacity, quick to dim, usually cheap.

If $40 would do then you can go for the Fenix L2D-CE which is on sale now for $41.46 before 8% off coupon "CPF8". It runs around 10 hours in medium (bit more then 30 lumen) on 2 good AA rechargeable batteries, 50+ hours on low. There's also the Kingpower K2 which has a low mode that runs a good amount of time("cpfuser" for 6% off).

If it has to be under $30, then some of the lower priced multimode 2 CR123 or 2 AA lights should work. The 2 mode Romisen RC-N3 could work(scroll to the bottom).

:welcome:

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Solarforce L2GF-R2M-18650
a_58p.jpg

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]L2 flat head assembly
Uses a Cree R2 LED 5 mode (300, 150, 75 lumens, strobe, SOS) reflector
Uses both primary lithium 2XCR123A or 2X16340 OR 1X18650 (included) rechargeable li-ion batteries
Up to 300 lumens of current regulated output (LED module)
Input voltage (LED module): 3.7V-8.4V
Aluminum alloy construction
Tail clicky switch
104 grams (without batteries)
Length x diameter (head and battery tube): 146mm x 32mm x 25mm
[/FONT]
Comes with 18650 battery, holster for $25. Current draw and estimated run times on my L2:
High - 0.93A - 2.3+ hours
Mid - 0.37A - 6 hours
Low - 0.07A - 31+ hours

piojo

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for your recommendations! I notice most of them are for 2xAA lights (and to get the rated performance out of the RC-N3, I would probably have to user the 2xAA configuration)--I was hoping to get something a little smaller (less long).

After I posted, read a bunch and found the Fenix L1D--at $50, this light is outside my stated price range, but maybe I should splurge. Somebody tested the runtime (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/155819), and I like the fact that its output is relatively constant over time, with a rechargeable AA.

So... I don't really know what's most important to me. Now that I've seen that the L1D is a very small light that fits my criteria (except for price), I find myself very, very tempted... what do you think?

Thanks!

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the Fenix L1D is a great alround light, and Fenix tend to have the best runtime for a given cell/output. Unfortunately it's discountinued and finding one might be hard, if you do you might get it for ~$35. Update: check Amazon if interested $47.xx

It's been replaced by the LD10, but the price has moved up a bit. You can get it for $58-8% with coupon.

You can buy the L2D on clearance for $41.46 -8% (maybe larger discount) and then buy a 1-AA tube for it if you can find a good deal that includes shipping. Then you can run it on 1 cell or 2. A tube is about $12 without extra tailcap.

Using rechargeable AA is a good idea or you'll have to go to more exotic batteries.

The multimode is nice, because camping at night you will likely find you can get away with a lot less than 45 lumens much of the time, so the time you require 45 lumens may be less; and having the option for greater will be nice.

Watch the B/S/T Forum.

Also see this review of several 1AA format lights.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
There are many other 1xAA lights which are closer to your price range and are still WAY better than ANY 3xAAA light. Look at one of the many review threads and see if something strikes your fancy.

I still highly recommend getting a quality light to start with however. If you start cheap, you end up spending more in the long.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Here's the L2D from 4Sevens, $41.46, or $38.15 after 8% off coupon "CPF8". The L1D, P2D, LD10, PD10, LD20, L1T V2.0, and L2T V2.0 bodies also work, so if you have the bodies and tailcap, you can switch between 1AA, 2AA, and 1 CR123 use. The brighter Q5 versions costs more and so does the LD20, the newer version of the L2D but the L2D-CE is still a great place to start.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get the Olight T10 from 4Sevens for about $35.95, with the CPF discount, including shipping. It is a very well made light.

It takes 1 x CR123a battery, and this particular version will give you a choice of five brightness levels and runtimes: 180 lumens* for 1 hour; 105 lumens for about 2.5 hours; 60 lumens for about 5.5 hours; 25 lumens for about 20 hours; and 11 lumens for about 30 hours. You also get an SOS and strobe mode, if that sort of thing is to your liking. The nice thing is, if you don't like it, you can just ignore it.

Another plus is that, if you don't like paying for CR123a batteries, you can get a 1 x AA body tube for less than $10 sometime later, and use the light with an AA battery. Your highest output will be 120 lumens, but the other four levels will be the same as the CR123a version, but with shorter runtimes. The lowest two levels will still run over 12 hours, though.

*Or so says Olight. ;)

GPB

Enlightened
rmteo: am I reading your post right ? That light is going to produce 75 lumens for 31 hours ?!?!?

I don't have any experience with 18650 batteries, but that seems like a lot of light for a lot of hours.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
rmteo: am I reading your post right ? That light is going to produce 75 lumens for 31 hours ?!?!?

I don't have any experience with 18650 batteries, but that seems like a lot of light for a lot of hours.

Ya something is off, you don't get 300 lumens out of an R2 at 0.98A either.

BUT: if the OP was willing to move to 18650 (probably not), a Solarforce with a good pill would be a good move. Too big though based on his earlier comments.

rmteo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lumens ratings are from the manufacturer and are obviously over rated. The current measurements are from the tailcap of MY light and the estimated run times are based on those figures. My guess is that it is 180-220 lumens on high and about 20 lumens or less on low (I prefer the lower low anyway - 75 lumens would not give useful run times for my taste). The OP said that he would consider 2x CR123 and this light works on those as well. Overall, a very nice light - especially for the price.

Last edited:

piojo

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your advice! I ordered the Fenix LD10. Yes, that costs twice what I said I wanted to pay. No, I don't have much self control. I feel guilty, and I think I will like it a lot.

I would rather have a small flashlight than a medium-sized one, I would rather use AAs than CR123s, and I found the quantity of reviews of the L1D/LD10 comforting. It would have been much more fiscally responsible to buy the L2D and an additional battery tube as StandardBattery suggested, but I'm going for the maximal runtime on one, err, standard battery.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you all for your advice! I ordered the Fenix LD10. Yes, that costs twice what I said I wanted to pay. No, I don't have much self control. I feel guilty, and I think I will like it a lot.

I would rather have a small flashlight than a medium-sized one, I would rather use AAs than CR123s, and I found the quantity of reviews of the L1D/LD10 comforting. It would have been much more fiscally responsible to buy the L2D and an additional battery tube as StandardBattery suggested, but I'm going for the maximal runtime on one, err, standard battery.

You made a good choice piojo, my Fenix lights are by far my favorites. Come back and let us know how you like it.

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wouldn't feel guilty. Unlike a cheapo light, the Fenix should last you years. :)

slate

Newly Enlightened
Great choice on the LD10. I have the LD20 which is the 2 x aa model and I love it. I keep it right by my bed for those bumps in the night

gsxrac

Enlightened
Hey piojo prior to your new fenix what is the brightest light you've ever owned/handled?

BBnet3000

Newly Enlightened
I'd avoid 3 AAA lights. Low capacity, quick to dim, usually cheap.
i agree with this, and i own one.

2xAA is the best configuration for a light that takes standard batteries.

edit: if you go with lithium (or even with AAs), make sure you go with rechargeables. the cost of batteries adds up quickly otherwise.

Last edited: