Caught with my pants down

lonesouth

Newly Enlightened
So to speak...

Last night we needed to go over to my parents house to return their truck I had borrowed earlier. I thought it would be quick, a stop at the car wash, fill up at the gas station, their house and back to mine. Less than 30 minutes. The wife met me at the parents with her car. I had been driving it and swapped the LD10 I got for her to my car which she had been driving. I normally EDC an LD10, so I had not put a light back as I normally had one.

All was well until we were leaving the parents house and we see a dog walking along the sidewalk. This was an indoor dog by the looks and breed, and had no business being outside. The wife tells me to stop and collects the dog. We go to a few different houses without any luck for finding the owner. The last house we stop at, the dog leaps from her arms as soon as she opens the door. Not the owner and now the pup is lost, again.

It had gotten dark and I couldn't see more than 15 feet ahead with any discenment. Sadly, I reached for my light only to find that in my rationalizing the brief duration of the trip, I had failed to carry it. More than that, because the wife had driven the car I had been using, there was no light in there. I quickly realized that I had been caught with my pants down, or rather maybe with my light out.

The wife fealt bad for not holding the dog tighter and gave me hell for my flashaholism failing to be prepared. I suggested that I needed more lights, but that did not go very far. Still, I think that is the only way to truly be prepared. She'll thank me later for putting an LD10 and a Malkoff 3D in every car.

I now type the sentence of shame for my misgivings. I am saddened to have to relay such a story, but it is better to be found wanting when a dog is lost rather than something much more important.

LEDobsession

Enlightened
Quote from Oddjob's signature: "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it."

Im sure we've all been there at some point. I know I have before.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, but which one?!

Uh oh....I feel a thread coming. "Recommend me the smallest and brightest keychain light" :laughing:

There was some discussion about this here and there. If it's AAA, probably LD01 or LF2X. I prefer to wait for LF2XT but not sure if it is keychain-able.

My personal preference also goes to Raw Ti/Al/Raw (200 lumens for this kind of need), I don't own a Draco (yet), so can't tell. :shrug:

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
Uh oh....I feel a thread coming. "Recommend me the smallest and brightest keychain light" :laughing:

Let's all invade these two threads.
War_by_dirtypaintbrush.gif

24/7/365 Waterproof Neck Carry Light

Tiniest of tinies...

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can get a local homeless guy to punch me in the face for free, anytime. Doesn't mean it's a benefit. ;)

Alternate reply:

You get what you pay for. :D

Absolutely! You should always pay a professional to ensure that you get a quality face-punch!

R@ndom

Enlightened
Dude lithium's vent.

What's cheaper than alkaline and last as long as lithium with no danger to you or the light?

Eneloops. :facepalm:

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Monocrom said. They are quite safe if you follow the rules.

Lithiums also have longer shelf life, higher energy density, operate over a wider range of temperatures and are lighter.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
check the thread about updating flashlights in trucks. hah.

if i have my car i know i have atleast 4 lights with me.. all in separate locations so if i happen to carry one out of the car i know there are others too. so many infact that i cant carry them all out of the car without noticing them lieing somewhere. and 4 fauxtons are "permanently" tied with wire or zipties somewhere in my car.

other cars of family: atleast one in glove box. (i snuck them in there along with a fauxton without telling anyone) they are cheap incans but ANY light is better than no light.

also 2 flashlights in a car is good to have. one easy to reach. other in place you need to go and get.. like trunk. (used to have cheap light inside the sparetire.. it was there if i needed to change the tyre.)

keychain light: i am still learning that with my new raw. it already looks years old. aluminum scratches so easily.

**one night i did end up standing in dark hallway after realising that i had shut down all lights as i walked into shower.. and after showering i flipped the lights out of the shower and walked half way to the corridor yawning ect before really opening my eyes.. and realised that i had forgot to take a flashlight with me and im in darkness. standing even distance of 2 light switches.

i have gotten so used to taking one with me for fun for these trips so i can play with them while walking in dark and dont have to turn on the lights.. and now that i forgot to take it. i kept shutting down the lights anyway on my way IN, not on my out like the "normal" way is.

ambient light was enough to walk back to bedroom but i missed a chance to flicker with my flashlights.

hmm i guess i need to make one of those 9v paklite copies and place it on that location i stood for next time im walking in darkness. :)