Looking for an affordable setup for mountain biking.

Vulcan

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys. It's been awhile.

I'm not sure if any of you are cyclists, but I was hoping that someone might be able to point me in the right direction as far as some some relatively inexpensive lighting. There are many lights marketed just for this purpose but they are also very expensive (~$300-400.00) to get the kind of output I need fro trail riding.

Right now my plan is to pick up three 18650 powered lights from DealExtreme. Two will will bar mounted while the third will be helmet mounted. Obviously these need to be compact enough to fit on the bars/helmet without being unwieldy. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Many here use two Fenix lights as their handlebar lights.

3 decent budget 18650 lights might work. You can also look at buying from shiningbeam if you want better customer service and faster shipping. They have a smaller selection of lights though.

Wade

Newly Enlightened
I have used the Olight M20 to do just that, but only one helmet mounted. Adding two to the bars would be way more than enough.

Wade

Newly Enlightened
Only wish is that the M20 would have an option to use a floody reflector so there was less of a hot spot...

Vulcan

Newly Enlightened
Many here use two Fenix lights as their handlebar lights.

I do really like Fenix. I'm just not sure I want to spend that much on lights that are going to get abused regularly. That, and the output on some of the 18650 lights is pretty compelling.

I have used the Olight M20 to do just that, but only one helmet mounted. Adding two to the bars would be way more than enough.
With some of the places I ride, even though I'm very familiar with the trails, I'd rather have more light then I need. :D

gsxrac

Enlightened
If you go check in the marketplace they have a purposebuilt system. I only know this because im looking into getting myself this same setup since ive just gotten into mountainbiking. Heres a video
Pricing :
#1. KENTRO HeadLamp : 110 US$
includes one each of : HeadLamp/LockBlock/Extension cable
#2. Li-ion Charger 8.5V 1.5AH, 110~230V (plus US plug) : US$19.00
#3. 4-cell(2s2p) Li-ion Pack 7.4V 4.4Ah : US$29.00
#4. 6-cell(2s3p) Li-ion Pack 7.4V 6.6Ah : US$39.00
#5. 8-cell(2s4p) Li-ion Pack 7.4V 8.8Ah : US$49.00
Thats still under $200 even if you get the largest battery pack
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=192025

Last edited:

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was thinking of bolting a Fenix TK on the front of my klein, i wouldnt be too worried about stacking it then :)

Vulcan

Newly Enlightened
If you go check in the marketplace they have a purposebuilt system. I only know this because im looking into getting myself this same setup since ive just gotten into mountainbiking. Heres a video
Pricing :

Thanks a lot. Thats an impressive setup for the money. I think that combined with a helmet mount for my Fenix might just do the trick.

Are there any reviews for this system anywhere?

gsxrac

Enlightened
Not that I know of. I am planning on putting one on my Response Comp sometime in the near future so if you get it before I do feel free to write back and let us know how it is! Just judging from the youtube vid it seems to be an awesome setup though :twothumbs

diablo266

Newly Enlightened
Pricing :

Wow that looks fantastic, im in the same boat, i want to do some good trail riding here at night because its getting to be 110+ during the day. Ive never done any night riding but i figured for safety i would want two lights, one bar, one helmet mounted. Has anyone found a better solution than this for the money or should i order 4 lights now and build up two bikes for night riding?

kuksul08

Enlightened
:grin2:
IMG_2609Medium.jpg

IMG_2605Medium.jpg

IMG_2608Medium.jpg

650 lumens :hitit:

Only costs about $60 to make plus $30 in batteries and charger... not bad considering the performance.

diablo266

Newly Enlightened
kuksul08, That setup looks pretty sweet, do you have a parts list or any information on how to build that or something similar? Ive never built a light but im fairly competent when it comes to electronics and im not afraid to try :)

carrot

Flashaholic
I took my lighting setup out for a spin yesterday in the pouring rain on some flatter trail and it worked pretty well. About 400 lm on the handlebars and another 80 from the helmet. For this I'd recommend two Fenix TK11's with diffuser tape on the lens and any of smaller 100lm lights for the helmet. I use Twofish Lockblocks.

FWIW my setup was a modded high output Surefire E1L + Fenix TK10, with a G3L on the helmet.

kuksul08

Enlightened
kuksul08, That setup looks pretty sweet, do you have a parts list or any information on how to build that or something similar? Ive never built a light but im fairly competent when it comes to electronics and im not afraid to try :)

www.bikeled.org is a great place to get tons of knowledge in general about building them.

I used
1" square Al tubing (cut, filed, JB welded, painted)
Ledil CMC SS and CRS SS lenses from digikey
Cree XR-E R2 WG and MC-E K WC from dealextreme
700mA circuit boards from kaidomain
Judco 528pb-nd from digikey
Switchcraft 712A power jack from digikey

It's pretty simple to build, and easily as good or better than most $300+ lights out there. I have it powered by AA batteries too...

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do really like Fenix. I'm just not sure I want to spend that much on lights that are going to get abused regularly.
I am recommending Fenix' for years now, to be mounted on bars ... everyone was happy so far
the Point is: these can stand the abuse.

Most of the cheaper lights are simpy that: cheap
IF they survive a few uses - which is not given! - there are some other points that might be uncomfortable.

but if You want to purchase three, I can understand.
(btw: I use a single 18650 light on the bars and add a normal headlamp strapped to the helmet, when the terrain gets rough. Enough light, it is a nightride, or?) ;)

Instead of mounting three lights, try out a 1*18650 (better 2*18650) MC-E/P7 light from DX.
Same probs with "general" quality, but hell of a bright.
That way a single light gives You the same performance than the three.

allburger

Enlightened
I purchased an LED headlamp from target on clearance (river rock k2). I cut the cord and spliced it longer to hang the battery pack from the seat(which had a red indicator light built in) and then ran the head light to the bars and zip tied it on.

Excellent bike light for under $10