Malkoff m60l in a Surefire U2 Ultra?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Not without an EXTENSIVE modification.

I wouldn't see the benefit of doing it either. What would the goal of this mod be?

Mobenzowner

Newly Enlightened
I certainly am not capable of "extensive modification" (lol). Is the u2 lamp,setup, etc as efficient as the m60l? I currently have the m60l in a 6p and it of course burns brighter with better run times than the p60l. I was just wondering if the malkoff was multi mode capable and if it would be considered and upgrade to the standard u2 lamp.
I take it its not. Thanks for your reply:thumbsup:.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
I think you may be confused. The Surefire LED lights, short of the G and P series lights do not use a drop-in type LED assembly. There is no way you can realistically fit any kind of drop-in, whether bulb or otherwise into a U2 or in most of the other Surefire LED lights. They CAN be modified by replacing the stock LED, however it is most assuredly NOT a drop-in replacement. It requires soldering amongst other things.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Mobenzowner

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies. I have ordered a U2 which should be here today. I bought it for the multiple level capability, I have no hands on experience with the head or lamp assembly which is why I asked about the Malkoff. I guess it was a question I should have held off on until visual and hands on inspection of my U2.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the big benefits (biggest I see) of P60 style drop-ins is the capability to easily upgrade to new LEDs as they come out, so I can see why it would be a benefit to have a P60 capable U2. Combine the excellent U2 UI with the ability to easily & inexpensively keep it up to date, and you have a nice keeper light that would never be obsolete. The P60's don't quite have as good heat sinking as dedicated LED installations like the U2 head, but that is another topic (though one worth understanding).
So short answer: no. But you already know that (previous posts).
Could you make a U2 accept P60's? Maybe. I don't have a U2 so I can't measure it up to see, but it could likely be done, even if it needed a custom bezel extended to make room. The cost would likely run more than a new U2 (at list price!), but it would be a drool-worthy mod if done well.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Short of machining out all the guts of the head of a U2 there is no way you can fit a P60-type drop-in or lamp assembly in it. And even then it might not be possible.