Petzel TIkka &zipka

Morkaleb

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a comfortable headlamp for backpacking, I'm wondering how ddo the tikka and Zipka compare to the AAA ark and an x5?

Darkaway

Enlightened
Re: Petzel TIkka &zipka

I have a Tikka and an Arc AAA. The Petzl puts out enough light to navigate on trails at night and for reading/chores in camp. I would not use the Arc on trails; its output, for me, is the bare minimum for a backpacking light. But it is the ideal backup light.

The Tikka/ArcAAA combo is ideal for backpacking. Both are small and lightweight. They both feature an extremely long runtime thereby reducing/eliminating the need to carry extra battreies. They share the same battery type and both use dependable LED's.

Then again I don't own an X5 so I can't comment on that.

andybingley

Newly Enlightened

Hi Morkaleb welcome to CPF, don't mean to be the bad guy but I think this thread belongs in the LED forum.

Anyway my answer is that we appear to to be looking at variations on a theme of standard 5mm led's. Arc AAA 1 led, Tikka/Zipka 3 led's and Inova X5/X5T 5 led's brightness is pretty much proportional to the number of led's available.

Personaly I find my Tikka, more comfortable than a Zipka but the Zipka is more adaptable if you do not want to wear it on your head.

Hope this helps and you can be sure you will receive plenty of advice from CPF.

Morkaleb

Newly Enlightened

Yeah.. no worries..

I put it in the headlamp forum becuase what I'm looking for is a good comfortable headlamp.

I was using the X5 and the arc AAA as reference points simply becuase I'm familiar with there output /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So essentially.. it's damn smack in the midle of them all.

A friend of mine has a Luxeon 1w in a minimag.. how do you think it would compare to that in overall brightness?

bluewater

Newly Enlightened

I have all three lights and recently took them on a canoe trip. The Tikka stacks up really well to the X5 in real world situations. My Tikka seems to be a bit more focused than the X5 when walking through the bush. Sure total output isn't quite the same, but it's darn close. I found that I used the Tikka 95% of the time even thought the ARC was hanging around my neck. You can't beat a headlamp for doing anything around camp. The AAA was used mainly for reading in the tent....the Tikka is too bright for that.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got all four of the lights you mentioned (Tikka, Zipka, ARC AAA, and Inova X5), and I'd say go with the Tikka for backpacking, unless you are really into ultra-light backpacking and won't be using the light for hours every night, then the Zipka might be a better choice. I really like the Zipka, but I get the feeling it won't stand up to abuse like the Tikka will, and the full elastic headband of the Tikka tends to generally be more comfortable than the thin retractable string on the Zipka.

-Keith

dilettante

Newly Enlightened

My only gripe about the Tikka is the rate at which the brightness drops off. I've never seen a runtime/brightness chart for one, but the brightness seems to drop off too fast.

I end up hiking in the dark a lot, partly because I like to hike at night and partly because work and family obligations often cause me to leave and/or return to the trailhead in the dark. The Tikka worked fine for me for a few hours after changing the batteries. Last time I tried to get two trips out of one set of batteries, I had to let my buddy lead us out to the car. I had enough light to follow him, but not enough to easily stay on the trail. I could have just changed the batteries, but hopefully you get my point--Forget about any runtime claims. In my experience, a fresh set of AAAs will give you maybe 4 hours of good routefinding illumination . . . maybe a little more.

I'd like a lightweight headlamp regulated like the ARC LS or Surefire KL1, but it does not yet exist. This summer, I'm going to play with my LS, KL1 and Turquoise AAAs to see which I like best.