Jetbeam Jet 1 pro I.B.S. or LD10 w/ 14500 ?

fishnerdown

Newly Enlightened
Greetings All :grin2:

I've been a "flashaholic" for about 5 years now, I've been enjoying CPF for a little over a year but only recently joined and this is my first post (hope I do it right).

:bow: First off, Thank You sooooo much to everyone who makes this forum what it is (staff and members). Your input, testing/findings, explainations and overall (overwhelming) knowledge of a seemingly simple device, A.K.A. the Flashlight have helped me and countless others develop, fullfill and sustain this wonderfully fantastic addiction.

P.S. My wife on the other hand............ let's just say she's not completely antiflashlight (yet) but does not share in my excitment for lights.:twak:
Am I alone on this one. :thinking: Surley there's gotta be a few lumen loving females out there.

Anyway... On to the question

I've recently started a new job as a security officer for a nuclear power facility. While in training I was told I can carry which ever light/lights I want as long as it does not interfer with the carring or function of any other equipment. Standard issue is a 2D Mag. :crackup: I plan on carring my Fenix TK11 R2 and a single AA for small but capeable backup.

I'm entertaining the idea of buying a jet 1 pro ibs q5. I already have a fenix ld10 ( pd20 head on L1D body) and a nitecore D10 (q5). Will the jet give me a WOW type difference using NiMH in all three. How about the same question using a protected 14500 in all three . I'm not too concerned about med and lo modes or runtimes as I will be carring several spare batteries for which ever light I choose to carry. Mainly I'm wanting to know about max brightness/throw. Any feedback based on "real" experience with the lights mentioned will be greatly appriciated. Outdoor (practical) beamshots if you got them please. Thank you in advance :grin2:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i can't speak for the rest of the lights but i own a Jetbeam Jet I Pro IBS v2.0 and i love that light, it may not be the best regulated light out there but in my opinion this is balanced by the versatility of the IBS UI.

With its 3 individually programmable modes, you can program it to suit your needs and you also never have to see strobe or SOS if you dont want to.

I run mine on 14500s and its bright enough on max to light up the cube farm in the office. You can do a search and check out the variou reviews that are available here on CPF.

On a 14500, its one of the brightest around. You may also wish to consider a Fenix LD01 on a 10440, that is also very bright for its size and it has 3 modes too (just not programmable), med-lo-high utilizing a twisty head to change between modes. Its also incredibly light and comes with a clip so you can just clip it to your shirt pocket or whatever.

mrmakochan

Newly Enlightened
I own the Jetbeam Jet-I Pro I.B.S. R2 and am very happy with it. I've EDC'ed it every day for close to a year now. Very reliable, solid torch. (I've only used it with Eneloops).

Sorry no beam shots, but did you read Selfbuilt's review? https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/188278

I used to own Fenix lights but got tired of the click and twist UI. Sorry, personal taste. I have my Jetbeam set to the lowest setting and highest setting. I can access them with an easy click or two.

I've been so happy with it, I haven't really had a need to lurk CPF...:naughty:
But as far as I know, the Jetbeam Jet-I Pro is still the furthest throwing 1xAA light out there (if you care for throw).

The cons:
-The lowest setting is quite useable, but there are other lights that will easy out-last the runtime.
-The clickie is not a satisfying click. It's somewhat mushy and stiff.

I wonder...if you will already be carrying a TK11, why do you need another pocket rocket? Backup? I would think a 1xAA or 1xAAA with a useable low setting and really long runtime would be a perfect pairing with your Fenix...The turbo setting will almost never get used since you'll probably reach for the Fenix when you need more lumens.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
All three of the lights you listed have almost exactly the same output on a NiMH, and all three become flamethrowers when you use a 14500 (about 66% brighter). The biggest difference between the three is interface; the Fenix uses the usual button-and-bezel multi-modes, the Nitecore takes it a step further with the brightness ramp, and the Jet goes well beyond both with a combination brightness ramp and user-settable modes.

You'll find the Jet really gets the most out of the basic flashlight form factor. Setting any mode to anything you want, then being able to quickly blip between your presets truly tailors your light to your specific application, and maximizes battery life. I EDC a 1xAA Jet daily, and I don't know of anything in the <$200 category that I'd prefer over it, it's that useful.

It should be noted that when running a 14500, an AA-size light just isn't big enough to wick away all the extra heat generated by ~200 lumen output, you'll only be able to run at max for maybe a minute at most. But here again the Jet has the upper hand - unlike the Fenix with its written-in-stone output levels, you can just program in a more pragmatic high mode into the Jet (~150 lumens) and run it that way indefinitely.