Night hike

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwcaw

Enlightened
Me and a buddy went on a night hike this weekend. We took lots of lights with us including:2 ultrastingers, 1 SF M6, 1 e2e, 1 a2, arc lss, minim@g with lambda "illpill", SF m2 (attatched to rifle), Photon Fusion, SF kl1 on UBHIIw/3 123's, and red, green, turqouise, white, and white LE Arc aaa's.

Of all these lights, the absolute BEST light for traveling in the woods at night without ruining your nightvision is the Arc AAA green/turquoise. To my eyes the green arc aaa lights up the woods as good as my white Arc LSS! And it does it with only one AAA battery, and without ruining your dark adapted vision. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Arc turquoise replaced my LE on my key chain for just that reason. I was out at my brothers house a month or so ago when I first got it and I couldn't believe my eyes when I turned that light on his house and woods. It's sad the Peter is going to discontinue it.

paulr

Flashaholic
Is turquoise a lot better than green for this kind of thing? I have a green Photon II and don't see what the big deal is. I always heard red was the best color for not impairing night vision.

bwcaw

Enlightened
Turquoise is a little bit brighter, but not really noticeable when you are actually using the light. And red is a little better for your night vision, but green plants don't reflect much red light (they look black under red light) so the difference between red and green in the woods is about like the difference between a regular white arc aaa, and the arc ls! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I have a red Photon II on my keychain along with the green one now, and discovered an interesting trick with a rosebush a few nights ago (red flowers surrounded by green leaves).

Light up the rosebush with the green LED and you can hardly see the flowers. It looks like just a bush without flowers. Then turn on the red LED alongside the green one (leave the green one on), and the flowers seem to pop out of nowhere. Blinking the red LED on and off is like zapping the flowers in and out of hyperspace by flicking a switch.

I showed it to a few other people I was with and all thought it was a pretty neat effect.

gyverpete

Enlightened
A bit off bwcaw's topic, but paulr's observation reminded me of another weird effect.
I noticed while comparing my ARC AAA white to a green/turquoise coin cell light (a turq. ARC is on order)that when they're both on, the shadows produced on white or light surfaces are colored. The shadow is green if the white LED is behind the object, creating the shadow and the turquoise is illuminating the shadow, and it's magenta if you reverse the lights positions. I never saw a colored shadow before.
My white ARC and yellow photon do not produce this effect.
Anyone else notice this with other color combos.

jtice

Flashaholic
Ive seen that effect alot when I used to DJ,, I had 4 different colored spotlights, it would have areally cool effect on the back wall, peoples shadows were all colored.

Oh, and then you flip on the old Strob Light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

dilettante

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bwcaw said:
Of all these lights, the absolute BEST light for traveling in the woods at night without ruining your nightvision is the Arc AAA green/turquoise. To my eyes the green arc aaa lights up the woods as good as my white Arc LSS! And it does it with only one AAA battery, and without ruining your dark adapted vision. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I took some of my lights camping over the holiday weekend and noticed something similar. My Turquoise ARC AAA did a great job in the woods. Plenty of light to hike by. It was not even close to my LSH-P, but good enough.

I also got to play with a 2D Maglight with a Willie Hunt 2D to 8AA adapter/voltage regulator. IIRC it uses a 3.6v high efficiency halogen or krypton bulb. It threw better than my LSH-P, but suffered from the rings and holes you'd expect from a Maglight.

The LSH-P worked great, too. The beam is whiter than my KL1's and throws farther, too. Of course for the price it should /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I'll definitely experiment with the Turquoise ARC AAA more on hikes this summer. IIRC three AAAs weighs about as much as a Petzl Tikka. You could carry two--one Turquoise and one white or red. Hmm . . .

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you took enough lights along. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

BigMac

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Pi_is_blue said:
I don't think you took enough lights along. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I never leave a single light behind...I might make it feel bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bwcaw

Enlightened
Yeah, I will have to get a bigger back pack so I can haul all of them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bwcaw

Enlightened
Actually i was looking at the A-III from Eagle ind. It looks pretty nice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.