which surefire to choose ?

the avatar

Newly Enlightened
hello CPFers,

having been lurking here for almost 2 years, I've finally decided to get an account (!!) (I still remember the time when photon 2 and LW2000 were the most popular lights and the now-favourite ARC LLC didn't even exist !)

as much as I'm surprised by myself having taken so long to finally post something here, I'm surprised that I've resisted the temptation of getting a surefire for so long... but now I'm finally giving in...

well, I like the looks of M2 and E2e, with M2 being quite expensive while E2e having no HOLA...

and I'm a bit worried about the fact that a PT surge is nearly as bright as an M2 with P61

what do you guys think ? should I get an M3 ? how is M3's brightness compared to M2 + P61 ?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on what you want. Do you want a very bright and portable light? If so get the E2e, it's a great first Surfire. The M3 is brighter than the M2 w/P61, but I have found that once you desire so much light it's better to just get the M6! It's not really much longer than the M3 it's just fatter. I've been through all of the millennium series this year and my favorite is the M6. Even though I've decided to sell it and buy a 10X, I think the 10X is more practical than the M6. It just doesn't look as cool.
wink.gif

So you really need to ask yourself how big, how bright & how much money do you have to spend?!
smile.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Welcome Mr Lurker!
wink.gif

I am of the opinion that everybody should have either the E1e or the E2e with a KL1.

I have two M6's and love them.
I have a 10X and love it.

But, I think you should skip the M2 for now, and get the M3 with KT4 TurboHead Kit. I also expect SureFire to produce some fantastic Luxeon-type Bezel for it in the future. I would be disappointed if they didn't.

Anyway, the M3, and it's TurboHead friend the M3T make for impressive illumination tools. I mean you can carry the slim M3 pretty easily, and even the M3T is compact and light-weight.
The MN11 & MN16 beams are wonderful.

Please let us know what you decide to go for!

Al
grin.gif

the avatar

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the replies
smile.gif

you guys really read my mind
blush.gif
I believe I must be closer to this flashaholism then I had thought !

grin.gif
Sean.. I knew that someone would suggest me to get an M6 instead
tongue.gif
I like the output very much too, but 6 123 cells is a bit too much with regard to the running cost... (eventhough I have anticipated that this flashaholism will make me buy one sometime
rolleyes.gif
)

Size15s, I agree that the e2e itself (even without the KL1) is a great flashlight, it's small and light, looks cool, feature-rich, and there is LOLA as well as KL1 to choose from. I think I will check it out when the KL1 becomes available, btw, is KL1 using high dome LS ?

I'm actually very interested in LS2 and LS3 too, I really hope that they turn out to be great products surpassing our expectations (especially the Kroll switch part or its new form
wink.gif
)

well... back to surefire... I think I've been convinced to skip the M2 (although I'd give everything for the 5W Terra Destroyer
shocked.gif
will dat2zip sell the modded lamp ??). I think M3 is quite a good choice, btw what does the "turbohead" do ? how is the beam and brightness different from the "normal head" ?

poalcat

Newly Enlightened
For a first light, I'd go with a 6P. It is plenty bright with a P61 lamp, plus you can upgrade it. I bought a A19 extender, so I can turn it into a 9P when I want to. The P91 lamp provides 200 lumens of quality output.

Sure, the 6P isn't regarded as a "cool" light, but it is versatile, much more so than an E2. I'm still not quite sure what the great appeal of the E2 is, other than the perception that it's "hip".

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M3 sounds like the light for you.
wink.gif

The Turbohead has a larger reflector, focusing the the beam creating a tighter hotspot, giving you longer throw than the standard bezel.

I would start with the standard M3, then get a Turbohead later if you want one.

Yea, Yea, I know the story about how the M6 uses 6 batteries and the M3 uses 3.
wink.gif
You'll see, once you get the M3 you will want more!
grin.gif

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have three P6's, classic, in different colors and an E2e. I prefer the E2e. It's smaller and lighter. The 6P has a better feeling switch and is a bit brighter then the E2e but the overall difference is small on these points.

the avatar

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the suggestion poalcat
smile.gif

I've thought about the 6P too, as it's nearly the same as an M2 just much cheaper

The new G2Z is quite attractive too, I suppose that it's about the same price as a 6P

I don't know... maybe what I'm thinking is that if I get a 6P or G2Z, I'll still be tempted to get an M2 later... that's why I think I'm trying to get it right the first time (although I suppose that my "resistance" will still turn out to be futile
blush.gif
)

btw,
M2 : 2 batteries -> 65 lumens x 60 minutes
M3 : 3 batteries -> 125 lumens x 60 minutes

it seems that the M3 is more efficient ?

soa

Newly Enlightened
I'm just bidding for an E1 for my wife's use. When we're out walking the dogs, she asks for "the proper torch" 6P. I change the HOLA back to the P60 and she complained about, but I guess the E1e will easily fit in her little bag.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Welcome avator. I'll tell you know. You'll wind up getting them all eventually, so you might as well get that in your head now.

Owning the E1E, E2E, M2, M3, M3T, M6 and soon the G2Z, I can tell you that each light has it's own place. If I had to narrow it down to 2 or 3 lights only, I'd select the following:

1. E2E for EDC and general useage. It simply can't be beat and the addition of the LOLA MN02 makes it even better.
2. M3 + the turbo head to change it into an M3T. I'd suggest the N2 lamp assembly in this configuration.
3. M6 for those times that you absolutely need the most light possible, no matter what the cost/runtime is.

rlhess

Enlightened
Originally posted by poalcat:
I'm still not quite sure what the great appeal of the E2 is, other than the perception that it's "hip".
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's small...I'm afraid that while the feature set of the forthcoming Aviator is VERY attractive, the additional length may get in the way of pocket carry for me.

Diameter is an issue, too. The E2e is tiny.

Cheers,

Richard