LiteFlux LF2 twisty difficulties

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bought a LF2 from Khoo, and it came yesterday. Read the manual for trying to program the P1 and P2 settings and I must be doing something wrong. I understand the concept of the SW-1, SW-2 switching mechanism, but I'm not sure if there are ever any indications you are in a certain mode. FIrst thing I wanted to test was the battery voltage which states SW-5.

My idea of doing this from the off position is OFF

p1-p2-p1 (SW-1)
p2-p1-p2 (SW-2)
p1-p2-p1 (SW-3)
p2-p1-p2 (SW-4)
p1-p2-p1 (SW-5)

At this point I was expecting the flashes to indicate volatge levels, but nothing. It just seems like how ever many SW twists I make it only goes between standard modes p1 and p2 levels, and that is all.

I am attributing this to user error rather than a faulty switching mechanism, so can someone please guide me to be able to switch modes? Thanks.

BTW, this is a very nice light and once I figure out how to switch and program modes it may become my favorite EDC light.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also I am wondering if it makes a difference as to which OFF position you need to start from as there is an OFF when the head is loosened past the P2 setting it shuts off. So far I think of OFF as when it is fully tightened.

As an aside I tried even getting into the changing brightness levels or strobe mode and nothing.

I have read the reviews and it all seems straight-forward as how to change modes, but putting it to actual use is where I am having problems.

Last edited:

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try searching on the Dealer's Corner for threads created by LED Cool. In his threads he has links to reviews by Netkidz, etc... it's a lot to go through, but if I recall there were some simplified operational tips.

The biggest tip I can give you is to not do the twisting method. Instead, start at the P2 setting and place your thumb over the head of the light. Give it a quick three presses and it should go into the strobe/blinking mode. Practice that until you get it to work. Then to exit, give it one quick thumb press... that'll take you back to P2. So in essence, each thumb press will count as a SWx1. You can enter any of the modes this way.. just change the number of presses. In any mode, a single press will take you back to P2.

There have been questions about the long term reliability of switching this way, but I haven't had any problems in quite a bit of use. If you're concerned about that, just do it this way until you get the hang of the programming sequence.

As far as the question in your second post: When using the twisting method, turn the light to the P1 position. Each SWx1 will be starting from the P1 position (start at P1, and go to P2 and back to P1 quickly)

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

effulgentOne

Enlightened
Remember too that one SW is switching states and going back again, so it would be more like

P1-P2-P1 (SW-1)
-P2-P1 (SW-2)
-P2-P1 (SW-3)
-P2-P1 (SW-4)
-P2-P1 (SW-5)

so one SW is two twists, and five SW's is ten twists.

LED Cool

Enlightened
hi beacon of light,

glad you received your LF2.

as a start, the correct off position is when the head is fully tightened.
to perform SWx5 for the battery voltage report, you first have to turn on your LF2 to P1. then starting from P1, your perform SWx5.

i.e.
P1>P2>P1 (SWx1)
P1>P2>P1 (SWx2)
P1>P2>P1 (SWx3)
P1>P2>P1 (SWx4)
P1>P2>P1 (SWx5)

if you first turn on your light to P2 then you start from P2 and perform SWx5. i.e.
P2>P1>P2 (SWx1)
P2>P1>P2 (SWx2)
P2>P1>P2 (SWx3)
P2>P1>P2 (SWx4)
P2>P1>P2 (SWx5)

therefore you can perform a SW from either P1 or P2 position.

enjoy your LF2!

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashcrazy I read that is one way to damage the circuit board, I don't think I want to try to risk damaging a new light.

Divine watched the video 3 or 4 times now. It doesn't seem to work the way it does in the video.

LEDCOOL, thanks for the light I like it a lot. Well from P1 I did the SW-5 and it is in Strobe mode. So at least I am getting something. When doing a SW do you need the light to change to p2 once you twist it into p2? How do you know if you are actually engaging it when you have to twist quite a bit for it to get into p2 (indicated by a brighter light). To make my point clearer is when twisting to p2 the light doesn't change instantly. So when doing a p1>p2>p1 are you expecting the light to go from dim>bright>dim? How else do you know you have entered the correct mode?

LED Cool

Enlightened
no need to wait for the light to go dim-bright-dim. just twist from P1>P2>P1, which is consider as SWx1. do not stop at P2 to wait for the light to respond.
just twist from P1 to P2 and immediately back to P1.

do it 3 times (SWx3) and you will get strobe.

do it 4 times (SWx4) and you will get SOS.

do it 5 times (SWx5) and you will get battery voltage report.

to make sure you have reached P2, you will have to familiarize yourself first with the exact position of P1 and P2. as a guide, P1 position is where the light comes on. white dot aligned with the slot on the body. keep twisting until the white dot almost reach the flat on the body, that is where the brightness is increased. so that is position P2. twist the white dot back and forth between P1 & P2 and you will get the hang of it.

hope my explanation helps.

khoo

Flic

Enlightened
I do have to say that the learning curve on these is funny. You can spend days of absolute frustration but once you get it you say to yourself "darn that was easy!, why didn't I get it earlier?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have to say that the learning curve on these is funny. You can spend days of absolute frustration but once you get it you say to yourself "darn that was easy!, why didn't I get it earlier?

Yeah that seems to be my problem. I am able to get it into strobe and SOS, but maybe I am twisting it TOO fast? I know I am going for SW-5 from being in p1 mode and I get strobe, which is only SW-3.

LEDCool, oddly enough the white dot on mine just has to clear the Liteflux logo on the flat side to turn on into p1 (which is well before the slotted side). You are right though p2 comes on exactly at the unlabeled flat side.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Howdy Beacon of Light,
Hang in there. I think everybody has had a bit of a learning curve when it comes to operating this light..... however once you get the hang of it, and you will, then you'll be in for a pleasant surprise at just how flexible and nice this little jewel really is.

Simply follow all the previous suggestions. Start with the light on and in the P1 position with the dot on the head barrel just over the single dot on the battery barrel, then QUICKLY turn the light to the P2 position and back to the P1 position 5 times (5x). The light will briefly turn off and then it will begin slowly flashing the voltage. Once it has finished, it will automatically return to the mode you were previously in. I don't even have to look to do this.... I simply turn the light on..... then twist quickly to change modes.

Do remember that it is important to keep the top rim of the battery tube clean, as that is an important contact area.

It took me a few evenings playing with the light to finally get the hang of things...... but since I was using rechargeable cells it was simply a lot of fun learning how everything worked. It's definitely worth the effort.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Derek, I'll keep at it. I do notice after the third twist or so it feels gritty but the first 2 always feel smooth.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is an issue of whether you're too fast or too slow. I tried repeatedly with no luck and once I finally 'got it' it was easy to repeat.

Don't try to look at the dot. Get a feel for twisting and just make sure that you're twisting within the area that you should be.

Another tip that works for me is that I only count the end of the cycle, so my 5 count is where I stop.

Keep trying - you'll get it.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Derek, I'll keep at it. I do notice after the third twist or so it feels gritty but the first 2 always feel smooth.
As I'm sure you know, it often helps to completely clean and relube a new light. That certainly might help in your case.

Just be careful to not apply to much lube to the threads, and make sure the top rim of the battery tube is absolutely clean (I use contact cleaner there), as well as the surface it contacts inside the head. Just make sure you hold the head UP while cleaning in there so as to NOT let any cleaner drip into the electronics. For good measure I also clean the little battery spring at the bottom of the battery tube and the contacts on both ends of the battery.

One more thought. After a thorough cleaning if you are still having problems, you might try doing the switching starting from P2. Simply start at P2 and quickly twist to P1 and then back to P2 five times... ending at P2. Remember, there is NO hesitation between twists...... it's a smooth, continuous twisting action. You'll get it!

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Out of curiosity I read NetKidz thread where LEDcool himself explains how the click technique works. at the p2 setting 5 clicks is the same as SW-5 and I got the battery indicator to work. 1 long flash.... pause.... 2 quick flashes = 1.2 volts. Cool! Now I want to replicate this with the twisty technique.

Just curious will all this twisting eventually wear down the threads or cause them to strip over the course of a year or two?

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I'm sure you know, it often helps to completely clean and relube a new light. That certainly might help in your case.

Just be careful to not apply to much lube to the threads, and make sure the top rim of the battery tube is absolutely clean (I use contact cleaner there), as well as the surface it contacts inside the head. Just make sure you hold the head UP while cleaning in there so as to NOT let any cleaner drip into the electronics. For good measure I also clean the little battery spring at the bottom of the battery tube and the contacts on both ends of the battery.

One more thought. After a thorough cleaning if you are still having problems, you might try doing the switching starting from P2. Simply start at P2 and quickly twist to P1 and then back to P2 five times... ending at P2. Remember, there is NO hesitation between twists...... it's a smooth, continuous twisting action. You'll get it!

Good idea. How best to remove old lube from threads?

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
How best to remove old lube from threads?
When it comes to cleaning and lubing a light there seem to be as many ideas on the subject as their are CPF members. lovecpf

I use 70% isopropyl alcohol on an old clean cotton t-shirt for cleaning threads, and electrical contact cleaner on a Q-tip for any electrical contact points, of course being careful to not leave any Q-tip strands behind.

I'm glad you got things working using the push method..... some folks find that much easier.

By the way, it's important to know that the light comes from the factory with the low voltage indicator turned OFF..... so if want the light to signal you when your rechargeable cell is getting low, then you need to turn the low voltage indicator ON. See the instructions for that.

Have fun!

gunga

Flashaholic
What kind of lube ar eyou guys using?

I've triead various ones but the twisting action still tends to gum up after a short while...

I have had decent success using a smaller o-ring, but I sort of just scrounge them up from other lights. Not a great solution since they may need spares at some point!

h2oflyer

Enlightened
Derek Dean ......never too old to learn. I've been doing the click type P2 switching on my Extreme III and just read your advice to beacon of light on one handed 1/4 twist P1 switching. Works great. :thumbsup:

Thanks again .....Walter